Stick a fork in Mugabe

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
He turned the Breadbasket of Africa into a 3rd world hell hole that couldn't even feed itself, even though it had the most fertile land in Africa. Cronyism will do that to a nation. And why do the people of these countries put up with this nonsense?

President Robert Mugabe is insisting he remains Zimbabwe’s only legitimate ruler, an intelligence source said on Thursday, and is resisting mediation by a Catholic priest to allow the 93-year-old former guerrilla a graceful exit after a military coup.

The source could not provide details of the talks, which appear to be aimed at a smooth and bloodless transition after the departure of Mugabe, who has led Zimbabwe since independence in 1980.
Mugabe, still seen by many Africans as a liberation hero, is reviled in the West as a despot whose disastrous handling of the economy and willingness to resort to violence to maintain power destroyed one of Africa’s most promising states.
Zimbabwean intelligence reports seen by Reuters suggest that former security chief Emmerson Mnangagwa, who was ousted as vice-president this month, has been mapping out a post-Mugabe vision with the military and opposition for more than a year.

don't go away mad, just go away

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I was in Harare in 2002. It was Venezuela before Venezuela and Cuba after Cuba. An absolute utter mess. I was floored how beautiful the city must have been; by the time I arrived it was disintegrating via entropy and cronyism. Garbage everywhere; not unusual to see dead bodies laying in the road ignored by everyone. I also had a chance to spend some time out in the countryside; if you could see past the destruction caused by the crassness of Mugabe's crony property seizures and utter contempt for the land you would have to agree with me: one of the most beautiful places I have ever been (and I've been pretty much all over). The contrast with South Africa couldn't have been more stark. Mugabe was absolutely no Mandela (whatever you might think of Mandela's ANC roots). The people's lot for almost four decades has been misery for most of them. So I'm hoping something good happens in/to Zimbabwe.

I was in Harare in 2002. It was Venezuela before Venezuela and Cuba after Cuba. An absolute utter mess. I was floored how beautiful the city must have been; by the time I arrived it was disintegrating via entropy and cronyism. Garbage everywhere; not unusual to see dead bodies laying in the road ignored by everyone. I also had a chance to spend some time out in the countryside; if you could see past the destruction caused by the crassness of Mugabe's crony property seizures and utter contempt for the land you would have to agree with me: one of the most beautiful places I have ever been (and I've been pretty much all over). The contrast with South Africa couldn't have been more stark. Mugabe was absolutely no Mandela (whatever you might think of Mandela's ANC roots). The people's lot for almost four decades has been misery for most of them. So I'm hoping something good happens in/to Zimbabwe.
Best first post ever. Very insightful. Welcome!

Starman

Something good will only happen if the it's-not-a-coup coup serves as a catalyst to move from ZANU-PF-dominated rule to a pluralistic, multi-party democracy. As it is looking now, this seems to be doing little more than consolidate and preserve power inside of ZANU-PF. Whether or not that is the actual purpose is another question altogether.

Baker12

Ever since colonialism ended in Africa, the whole continent has become a starving, war torn, outrageously poor, ####hole....yay Blame whitey. Blacks are 0 for 14,987 in attempts at creating a civilization that advances.

Hijinx

Ever since colonialism ended in Africa, the whole continent has become a starving, war torn, outrageously poor, ####hole....yay Blame whitey. Blacks are 0 for 14,987 in attempts at creating a civilization that advances.

Amen

Hijinx

How about Northern and Southern Rhodesia, And give back the farms that were taken from the white folks, and if Rhodesia is lucky the white Farmers will return.

It's really the only chance they have----but they won't take it.

Baker12

Letting them into Europe is working out about as well as when they let them in to North and South America. Zimbabwe will continue to be one of the worst places to live on the planet, and it will all be the white mans fault in their eyes

black dog

Free America
Letting them into Europe is working out about as well as when they let them in to North and South America. Zimbabwe will continue to be one of the worst places to live on the planet, and it will all be the white mans fault in their eyes

There's not many white folks left to blame it on..

The white population of Zimbabwe reached a peak of about 296,000 in 1975, representing just over 8% of the population. It fell to around 120,000 in 1999 and to less than 50,000 in 2002. The white population of Zimbabwe was listed as 28,732 in the 2012 census.