Trump to reverse ban on elephant trophies from Africa

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://abcnews.go.com/US/trump-admin-reverse-ban-elephant-trophies-africa/story?id=51178663

The Trump administration plans to allow hunters to import trophies of elephants they killed in Zimbabwe and Zambia back to the United States, reversing a ban put in place by the Obama administration in 2014, a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service official confirmed to ABC News today.

Even though elephants are listed as endangered under the Endangered Species Act, a provision in the act allows the government to give permits to import these trophies if there is evidence that the hunting actually benefits conservation for that species. The official said they have new information from officials in Zimbabwe and Zambia to support reversing the ban to allow trophy hunting permits.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The careful and skillful management of the herds in places like Zimbabwe includes culling as a matter of necessity. Making that activity also a source of income (lots of income) by making the herd management a trophy hunt as well is considered a critical facet of continuing herd management in otherwise money-strapped areas. That's true for other "trophy" species too.

Chris0nllyn

If the African govt. says one can hunt elephants, this simply says the US govt. will allow that hunter to bring back his trophy.

Chris0nllyn

Aren’t Elephants endangered species?

Yes. Older elephants (and animals in general) tend to prevent the younger elephants from breeding. The older ones may no longer be able to have offspring and them being around prevents the population from growing. The ones slated for hunting are identified as ones preventing the species from growing. It's not a free-for-all hunt.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I will not be conversing with any of you for exactly one hour.

You must suffer for your Elephant hatred.

:nono:

black dog

Free America
Aren’t Elephants endangered species?

Yep.. but like Gilligan says and there are many large private ranches that raise large animals just for hunting. It's another way to make good use out of land that will not produce anything.
Not really and different than the ranches here raising Buffalo, Mule Deer, Elk and so on for the expressed use of paid hunters.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yes. Older elephants (and animals in general) tend to prevent the younger elephants from breeding. The older ones may no longer be able to have offspring and them being around prevents the population from growing.

Hmmmmm, sort of like entrenched politicians?

PsyOps

Pixelated
I'm feeling a little out of the loop here... what exactly does an elephant trophy look like? Do you have to reserve its own seat on the flight back? I don't think I'd trust the luggage people to handle it without destroying it.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm feeling a little out of the loop here... what exactly does an elephant trophy look like? Do you have to reserve its own seat on the flight back? I don't think I'd trust the luggage people to handle it without destroying it.

Complete animal, environment pose.

Just like the Smithsonian.