Navy Sets New Physical Fitness Standard to Start Boot Camp

awpitt

Main Streeter
To graduate boot camp, all recruits must score a satisfactory medium on the official Navy PFA. To ensure recruits advance toward this goal over their eight weeks of training, the initial run standard sets the minimum run time at which a recruit must start training in order to meet their expected level of progress.

If a recruit fails to meet the initial run standard, they will have one chance to retest within 48 hours. If they fail the retest, recruits will be discharged from the Navy with an entry level separation, which allows them to reapply at a later date with a waiver from Navy Recruiting Command.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display....acebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=TraEdu

black dog

Free America
The initial run standard is evaluated on the 1.5 mile run of the first Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA) at boot camp. The initial run standard for male recruits will be 16 minutes 10 seconds and 18 minutes seven seconds for female recruits.

I believe that is three minutes longer than the first test at basic in the Marines.

USWWarrior

It's a Jeep thang!
At the risk of sounding like a jerk, this is 2017 and everything should be equal, why the difference in times between female and male. Secondly, I wonder how much money is spent if the person joins and then gets discharged with an "entry level separation". It sounds like an escape clause for a few people that signed up, decided they didn't want to be in the service and uses this to escape without looking bad. They can always say, I hurt my ankle couldn't run so they discharged me.

stgislander

PREMO Member
At the risk of sounding like a jerk, this is 2017 and everything should be equal, why the difference in times between female and male.

Probably the same reason that the fastest man usually finishes a marathon 10-20 minutes before the fastest woman. :shrug: