The futility of walks

acommondisaster

Have any "walks to end homelessness" and "walks to end hunger" ever worked? Apparently not, since they both still exist.

So why keep having them?

littlelady

God bless the USA
They want to appear that they are making a difference, and I applaud them for that. Also, walking is healthy. BUT, it seems to never really make a huge difference, in the fact that most money raised doesn’t go to the people that were walked for. JMO.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Should we cancel every single charity because they don't offer an instant solution?

No. But, one should check out what they are donating to/for, as far as charities. Some are pretty useless. You can get that info from an online search. For, example, my hub is a former Marine, and donated to several Marine charities. He then found out the money of some was going to salaries and not to the soldiers it was intended for. You do have to be careful who you donate to, if you want your money to help the intended.

Wounded Warriors is one of the not so good ones. I do know about this subject because my hub is an ultra runner, and runs for charities when he has researched, and qualified them.

Don’t donate to the Clinton Foundation! :lol: Sorry, but everythng is political these days. And, that is the truth.

Last edited:
But wouldn't it make more sense to spend time and energy doing something that really addressed the problem?
I have the same view. It's like school fundraisers where we are buying overpriced items so the school can get a kickback of pennies on the dollar. Instead of writing a check for $30 of cookie dough just write the check directly tto the school.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But wouldn't it make more sense to spend time and energy doing something that really addressed the problem?

David Livingstone said something along the lines of, "Caring does not take the place of acting." As in, thanks for your thoughts and prayers, but what they really need is food, money, and someone to come help them fix their stuff. However...

Social events are a draw and more people will come and pay admission or buy drinks or get pledges for the cause than will just donate outright. Plus it builds awareness for the charity or whatever. The party goer or walker or whatever can feel good about themselves, that they're helping, and the charity gets a few bucks.

I donate to several charities in lieu of actually swinging a hammer or being a research scientist finding cures for stuff. I have a friend who walks for breast cancer awareness and research funding - she's quite into it and goes around the country to these walks. It's a social event for her, but she's also helping the cause, even if in a small way. People who wouldn't normally donate to SBK will pledge her and give that way.

I have mixed feelings because I don't trust many organizations to be true to their mission statement. Let's get real: what charitable foundation wants to put themselves out of business by eradicating their reason for existing? Cynical, sure, but there it is.

Last edited:

BOP

No. But, one should check out what they are donating to/for, as far as charities. Some are pretty useless. You can get that info from an online search. For, example, my hub is a former Marine, and donated to several Marine charities. He then found out the money of some was going to salaries and not to the soldiers it was intended for. You do have to be careful who you donate to, if you want your money to help the intended.

Wounded Warriors is one of the not so good ones. I do know about this subject because my hub is an ultra runner, and runs for charities when he has researched, and qualified them.

Don’t donate to the Clinton Foundation! :lol: Sorry, but everythng is political these days. And, that is the truth.

I give to Fisher House (http://fisherhouse.org/about/). My donation is through CFC and goes out as an allotment. Here is one rating for them: https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=7585

BOP

David Livingstone said something along the lines of, "Caring does not take the place of acting." As in, thanks for your thoughts and prayers, but what they really need is food, money, and someone to come help them fix their stuff. However...

Social events are a draw and more people will come and pay admission or buy drinks or get pledges for the cause than will just donate outright. Plus it builds awareness for the charity or whatever. The party goer or walker or whatever can feel good about themselves, that they're helping, and the charity gets a few bucks.

I donate to several charities in lieu of actually swinging a hammer or being a research scientist finding cures for stuff. I have a friend who walks for breast cancer awareness and research funding - she's quite into it and goes around the country to these walks. It's a social event for her, but she's also helping the cause, even if in a small way. People who wouldn't normally donate to SBK will pledge her and give that way.

I have mixed feelings because I don't trust many organizations to be true to their mission statement. Let's get real: what charitable foundation wants to put themselves out of business by eradicating their reason for existing? Cynical, sure, but there it is.

It does for most liberals, which is why they are such believers in big government and higher taxes (on everyone but them).

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm exceptionally charitable... I put a translucent flag over my facebook picture! :yay:

BernieP

Resident PIA

typically the walks involve fundraising, so they are doing something. Sponsor me at $ per mile
It also raises awareness. Which doesn't sound like a big thing, but that's what keeps the government money flowing. Out of sight, out of mind, out of funding.