Judges 2 "You disobeyed Me!"

seekeroftruth

Judges 2:1 The angel of the Lord went up from Gilgal to Bokim and said, “I brought you up out of Egypt and led you into the land I swore to give to your ancestors. I said, ‘I will never break my covenant with you, 2 and you shall not make a covenant with the people of this land, but you shall break down their altars.’ Yet you have disobeyed me. Why have you done this? 3 And I have also said, ‘I will not drive them out before you; they will become traps for you, and their gods will become snares to you.’”

4 When the angel of the Lord had spoken these things to all the Israelites, the people wept aloud, 5 and they called that place Bokim.[a] There they offered sacrifices to the Lord.​

It occurs to me.... that what the Israelites were doing by not completing the conquest of the Promised Land.... was a coup. This is a Theocracy. God has a covenant with them. He does His part and they have to do their part. He's done His part. He's ready to do more.... but they just laid down on the job. He's warned them. IMHO, when they chose to stop the complete conquest of the Promised Land... they showed disregard for the Theocracy. It' a coup.

a. Judges 2:5 Bokim means weepers

This is from the easy English site.

The phrase ‘the angel of the Lord’ refers to God. It means that he appeared and he spoke to them there. Before that time, the central place where they praised God had been in Gilgal. (This was where Israel’s people first lived in that country.) But now it was in Bokim (which means ‘weepers’).

Many Bible students think that Bokim was at Bethel. Here people buried Rachel’s nurse at the oak where people wept (Genesis 35:8). That is why Bible students think that.

God had made an agreement with his people. And he had done what he agreed to do. But they had not done what they agreed to do. Now God said that he would allow their enemies to capture them. They would praise other gods. The people wept and they offered sacrifices. (Sacrifices were gifts for God. They were asking him to forgive the things that they had done wrong.) They were probably not really sorry. Later, they did wrong things again.

Stupid Humans...

:coffee: