Holiday work potluck ideas

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Just looking to see if anyone had any fresh ideas besides the standards. Last one I made spinach-sausage balls and they were a hit. I also made my prosciutto-wrapped asparagus for a cookout in the summer.

A couple of caveats: we have plenty of desserts so I am looking for something savory and finger-foodish. I do not have a crockpot nor do we have anything other than microwaves to cook/reheat.

Any ideas?

frequentflier

happy to be living
In a pie dish, start layer with a brick of cream cheese, add a can of refried beans (do not use low fat- they suck), shredded cheddar cheese, chopped lettuce, chopped tomato, chopped black olives and chopped scallions. Make a day or two in advance. Serve with crackers or tortilla or corn chips. It is festive looking and tastes great!
You can layer in any order.

lovinmaryland

These are probably my most popular appetizer I make. There are never any leftovers and everyone raves about them. I usually use roma tomatoes as they are prettier on the baguette but in the summer months when the amish have those great beef steak tomatoes I use those.

French Baguette Sliced Drizzled w/ Olive Oil (lightly toasted)
Fresh Mozzarella Sliced
Proscuitto
Sliced Roma Tomatoes marinated in Balsamic Vinegar for at least 1 hour
Garlic Aioli :
½ cup mayonnaise
1 clove of garlic finely minced
3 T fresh ground parmesan
Pesto Sauce (optional)
Spread each baguette slice w/ a little of the aioli top w/ cheese, prosciutto, and marinated tomato. Bake @ 400 until cheese starts to melt (5 minutes or so) Remove from oven and drizzle w/ leftover balsamic or pesto sauce

Attachments

• tomato.jpg
    tomato.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 333

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
In a pie dish, start layer with a brick of cream cheese, add a can of refried beans (do not use low fat- they suck), shredded cheddar cheese, chopped lettuce, chopped tomato, chopped black olives and chopped scallions. Make a day or two in advance. Serve with crackers or tortilla or corn chips. It is festive looking and tastes great!
You can layer in any order.

Thanks. I thought about this and it is definitely Christmas-y looking. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
These are probably my most popular appetizer I make. There are never any leftovers and everyone raves about them. I usually use roma tomatoes as they are prettier on the baguette but in the summer months when the amish have those great beef steak tomatoes I use those.

French Baguette Sliced Drizzled w/ Olive Oil (lightly toasted)
Fresh Mozzarella Sliced
Proscuitto
Sliced Roma Tomatoes marinated in Balsamic Vinegar for at least 1 hour
Garlic Aioli :
½ cup mayonnaise
1 clove of garlic finely minced
3 T fresh ground parmesan
Pesto Sauce (optional)
Spread each baguette slice w/ a little of the aioli top w/ cheese, prosciutto, and marinated tomato. Bake @ 400 until cheese starts to melt (5 minutes or so) Remove from oven and drizzle w/ leftover balsamic or pesto sauce

Oh my goodness, I really like this! I would add some fresh basil rather than the pesto sauce though. Or maybe both. :lol: Can these be served cold? If not, can they be reheated in a microwave?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Go to the yellow store on Rt 5 and Flatiron and pick up lumpia.

I can give you my sauce recipe if you need it. :biggrin:

lovinmaryland

Oh my goodness, I really like this! I would add some fresh basil rather than the pesto sauce though. Or maybe both. :lol: Can these be served cold? If not, can they be reheated in a microwave?
Yes theyre good hot or cold. I've served them before w/ fresh basil chopped and sprinkled on top as well. They are excellent! Super easy and they go quick!

My son will be home from the navy for thanksgiving and lumpia was at the top of his request for things mom makes that he misses. Stopped in there the other day for my lumpia wrappers and couldn't resist grabbing some lunch also :drool: :yum:

What sauce do you make? I typically serve mine w/ Mae Ploy

Attachments

• lumpia.jpg
    lumpia.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 321

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

Somebody else is already bring some. :ohwell:

:yikes: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bawl:

Yes theyre good hot or cold. I've served them before w/ fresh basil chopped and sprinkled on top as well. They are excellent! Super easy and they go quick!

Thanks. Sounds perfect for the conditions at work. :yay:

What sauce do you make? I typically serve mine w/ Mae Ploy

For the love of God, do NOT ask again. :shudder: :twitch:

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I once made spaghetti with tomato sauce and boiled eggs on top because I didn’t have any meat balls. :shrug:

luvmygdaughters

My daughter has a great recipe for sweet potato and jalapeno hash. Its delicious, I'll ask her for the recipe tonight, if you're interested.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I brought a casserole dish with homemade fried rice to two Christmas work potluck lunches: steamed rice, cooked bacon, scrambled eggs, chopped white onions, garlic powder, soy sauce, black pepper. Now, fried rice is not the first thing one thinks of at Christmas time; but, I took home an empty casserole dish.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I brought a casserole dish with homemade fried rice to two Christmas work potluck lunches: steamed rice, cooked bacon, scrambled eggs, chopped white onions, garlic powder, soy sauce, black pepper. Now, fried rice is not the first thing one thinks of at Christmas time; but, I took home an empty casserole dish.

Fa-rah-rah-rah. :lol:

luvmygdaughters

That sounds good and different. Yes, I would love the recipe! :yay:

Print

Sweet Potato Jalapeño Mash

Baked sweet potatoes are blended with butter, cream, smoky, charred jalapeños and a touch of maple syrup.

Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Ingredients:

4 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed

1 large jalapeño pepper

3 tablespoons (salted) butter

1 tablespoon pure maple syrup

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, and bake the sweet potatoes until they can be easily pierced by a knife. Let them cool slightly so they're safe to handle and peel the skins off and discard.

While the sweet potatoes bake. Char the jalapeño on the grill or open flame of a gas stove until blistered and charred. Pop the pepper into a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap for 10 or so minutes. Peel the skin off of the jalapeño, remove the ribs and seeds and dice small.

In a large bowl add in the peeled sweet potatoes and mash. Add in the three tablespoons of butter, 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and the 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt. Mash until desired texture is achieved. Add in the cream and using a rubber spatula, slowly blend until incorporated. Add in the diced jalapeño, stir.

Add to a saucepan to heat until piping hot and serve.