Charm City

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Baltimore residents react to recent violence: 'I don't really feel safe anywhere anymore'

Even in a city where crime seems like a chronic rather than an episodic disease, the recent string of killings, shootings and robberies has felt qualitatively different. Mayor Catherine Pugh says the violence is out of control. Three years into a historic spike in killing, it’s not clear that anyone has any idea how to curtail it. In conversations private and public, in neighborhood gathering spaces and on social media, fear is rising.

Hijinx

Baltimore residents react to recent violence: 'I don't really feel safe anywhere anymore'

Even in a city where crime seems like a chronic rather than an episodic disease, the recent string of killings, shootings and robberies has felt qualitatively different. Mayor Catherine Pugh says the violence is out of control. Three years into a historic spike in killing, it’s not clear that anyone has any idea how to curtail it. In conversations private and public, in neighborhood gathering spaces and on social media, fear is rising.

It's kind of hard to curtail crime when the residents make a hero out of a criminal who got killed.

Baltimore's own Horst Wessel.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Heard an interview with the creator of "The Wire", a former Sun reporter who still lives in Baltimore. Said he gets both BLMs and the police POVs, but the key takeaway has been that since police now know they can face jail time for not only actual illegal acts like giving a perp a rough ride, but for the simple act of not having the right or not enough probable cause, which would normally be an internal discipline issue, they simply will refuse to engage. And he said it's killing Baltimore, since a city without police cannot survive. He said he also has no idea how to fix it, but its killing a city he loves.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Clearly, how you fix it is to give the police their authority back. Alternately, you could wait until about 10am, when the kids are off to school and the responsible adults are at work, and the drug dealers and addicts are still sleeping, and bomb the ghettos into rubble.

They say they "don't know how to fix it" but the truth is that they don't want to fix it. Without the ghettos and criminals, Catherine Pugh would never have been elected.

glhs837

Power with Control
Clearly, how you fix it is to give the police their authority back. Alternately, you could wait until about 10am, when the kids are off to school and the responsible adults are at work, and the drug dealers and addicts are still sleeping, and bomb the ghettos into rubble.

They say they "don't know how to fix it" but the truth is that they don't want to fix it. Without the ghettos and criminals, Catherine Pugh would never have been elected.

Nobody has taken their authority, they have given it up by acting incorrectly and illegally. If they hadn't let the camels nose under the tent by covering for bad guys in the ranks, then they wouldn't be facing the loss of trust and authority. They are not solely responsible, but they do have a role in it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nobody has taken their authority, they have given it up by acting incorrectly and illegally. If they hadn't let the camels nose under the tent by covering for bad guys in the ranks, then they wouldn't be facing the loss of trust and authority. They are not solely responsible, but they do have a role in it.

Well, I suppose they can quit their jobs. But cops take orders from their boss, who takes orders from his boss, and so on until you get to the Mayor. When I said "they don't want to fix it" I was referring to the brass and the politicians, not the rank and file.

glhs837

Power with Control
Clearly, the solution is the keep voting the same kind of people into power. :ohwell:

Well, of course since those same people will always tells you that you are not the problem, the problem is a lack of dollars which can only be solved by the state and Fed investing in yet more freakin programs.......

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, I suppose they can quit their jobs. But cops take orders from their boss, who takes orders from his boss, and so on until you get to the Mayor. When I said "they don't want to fix it" I was referring to the brass and the politicians, not the rank and file.

Covering for bad guys in a problem from the top to the bottom. And no, it's not the only problem, but it's a part.

tom88

Covering for bad guys in a problem from the top to the bottom. And no, it's not the only problem, but it's a part.

The problem which is occurring in Baltimore is due to the witch hunt which resulted in the Freddy Gray case. The 3200 police officers in Baltimore watched as six police officers were fed to the wolves for the purpose of political expediency. These officers were terminated because they were being proactive and trying to rid Baltimore of it's crime problem. After the officers were acquitted, these 3200 police officers then watched their administration have some hack cop from Montgomery county do a half baked administrative investigation where they charged these officers with trumped up administrative charges in order to fire them from their positions. Fortunately, these officers are protected and justice so far is prevailing.

So these 3200 officers may have not had a general order which came out and said your authority is taken away, but they know that if they do proactive police work and something bad happens, they aren't going to be treated fairly. They are going to have a Mayor who tells them to stand down while people are a rioting. They are going to have a States Attorney who stated she had an independent investigation done to these officers but the guy who signed the affidavit in the grand jury had nothing to do with that investigation. They are going to have a police chief who tries to manipulate an administrative hearing for these officers after they have been acquitted of any crimes. They are going to have an investigator withhold exculpatory evidence in their administrative hearing.

So no, there are no orders given to them about having their authority taken, but there sure is enough writing on the wall that if they are proactive, it's not helping them along in life.

luvmygdaughters

When the mayor of a city tells its police officers to "stand down and give rioters room to destroy"...pretty much sums up how your police dept will be protecting you and your property in the future.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

True, but the biggest problem is not the bad guy cops - it's the bad guy bad guys. Cops aren't doing a murder a day, nor are they dealing drugs and trashing neighborhoods. It's extremely rare that the cops cap someone who doesn't deserve it, depending on whether or not you think lawless ####bags deserve killing (I do).

glhs837

Power with Control
True, but the biggest problem is not the bad guy cops - it's the bad guy bad guys. Cops aren't doing a murder a day, nor are they dealing drugs and trashing neighborhoods. It's extremely rare that the cops cap someone who doesn't deserve it, depending on whether or not you think lawless ####bags deserve killing (I do).

True, yet here we are, cops cant cop, bad guys can still bad guy. All because someone decided to teach someone a lesson off the books, and rather than own up to it and punish those who did, they buried it until it stank and drug in cops who had done nothing wrong. Bad policing has an effect far outside the initial actions.

glhs837

Power with Control

True, yet here we are, cops cant cop, bad guys can still bad guy. All because someone decided to teach someone a lesson off the books, and rather than own up to it and punish those who did, they buried it until it stank and drug in cops who had done nothing wrong. Bad policing has an effect far outside the initial actions.

tom88

All because someone decided to teach someone a lesson off the books, and rather than own up to it and punish those who did, they buried it until it stank and drug in cops who had done nothing wrong.

Who taught who a lesson off the books?

glhs837

Power with Control
Who taught who a lesson off the books?

I still believe that the drivers took him for a ride. Didn't mean to kill him, but did mean to toss him around the back. And before we get into what anyone was found guilty of, remember that OJ was found innocent of killing anyone. Being found innocent doesn't mean you didn't do it.

tom88

I still believe that the drivers took him for a ride. Didn't mean to kill him, but did mean to toss him around the back. And before we get into what anyone was found guilty of, remember that OJ was found innocent of killing anyone. Being found innocent doesn't mean you didn't do it.

You do know there was another person in the van who said there was no rough ride right? There is also video evidence that there was no rough ride. Just because someone is accused of something doesn't mean they are guilty. Quite the opposite in this country.

Having said that, your premise is still wrong. Lets say Goodson did give him a rough ride. YOU are saying other people are covering up for Goodson. Who? Goodson was the only van driver. You want to indict all the cops. The problem in Baltimore is because of people like you

glhs837

Power with Control
You do know there was another person in the van who said there was no rough ride right? There is also video evidence that there was no rough ride. Just because someone is accused of something doesn't mean they are guilty. Quite the opposite in this country.

Having said that, your premise is still wrong. Lets say Goodson did give him a rough ride. YOU are saying other people are covering up for Goodson. Who? Goodson was the only van driver. You want to indict all the cops. The problem in Baltimore is because of people like you

No, I don't want to indict all cops. But when officers act outside the law, and other officers and departments cover for them, it does nobody any good. So officers that do that, yeah, indict them.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/20/judge-questions-freddie-gray-rough-ride-theory/

This says there was not another officer with him for the whole ride.

Prosecutors have argued that Officer Goodson was most responsible for Gray’s death because he was the only person with him during the entire 45-minute trip to a booking station.