Hibiscus mistaken for marijuana leads to lawsuit

Chris0nllyn

The trouble started when a neighbor's tree fell on the Cramer's property in September.

The lawsuit states that Yeamans came to the property on Oct. 5 to investigate the insurance claim.

But the suit claims that Yeamans surreptitiously shot photos of the flowering hibiscus growing in the Cramers' backyard and sent them to police as evidence of a marijuana grow operation.

Based on those photos, the suit claims, Buffalo Township police Officer Jeffrey Sneddon obtained a search warrant for the Cramers' property. The suit says that Sneddon claimed to have expertise in identifying marijuana.

The suit says police found no marijuana in the home or outdoors and released the Cramers from the police car.

According to the lawsuit, Hess admitted that he didn't think the plants were marijuana, but confiscated them nonetheless and labeled them “tall, green, leafy, suspected marijuana plants.”

On Oct. 26, Nationwide sent the Cramers a policy notification letter claiming to have found marijuana growth on the property.

The letter stated that if they failed to remove the marijuana plants, Nationwide would cancel their insurance policy.

http://triblive.com/local/valleynew...nship-insurance-company-claiming-false-arrest

Starman

Damn. Given the cops propensity for violence in holding them at gunpoint I’m surprised they didn’t bring their own evidence to plant (ha!) to ensure a conviction. A lesson I’m sure they’ll learn for next time.

Thank god they didn’t find any illicit unpasteurized cheese!

Nationwide ... we’re on the state’s side.

Hijinx

Damn. Given the cops propensity for violence in holding them at gunpoint I’m surprised they didn’t bring their own evidence to plant (ha!) to ensure a conviction. A lesson I’m sure they’ll learn for next time.

Thank god they didn’t find any illicit unpasteurized cheese!

Nationwide ... we’re on the state’s side.

People have gone to jail for unpasteurized milk.