Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: InstantPot

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    It seems to me that the heat/pressurization delay would turn any vegetable to mush or does the IP work differently than a normal pressure cooker ?
    Differently in that the IP can regulate pressure by adding or removing heat, I think. I've done a lot of veggies, both frozen and fresh and not had too many problems. Both times I did, it was me forgetting to vent immediately. If you try and do a pot roast and cook the veggies with the meat, it's gonna blast them. The roast gets done first, and then add the vegetables for the last two minutes. I mean, rice from dry takes five minutes of high pressure, then you let it bleed off for 10, then release whatever pressure is left. So obviously, softer things take less time in pressure and little to no no time to bleed. Potatoes ready to mash take 12 minutes of pressure with instant release, no time to bleed off naturally.
    "I am capable of much unpleasantness."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Differently in that the IP can regulate pressure by adding or removing heat, I think. I've done a lot of veggies, both frozen and fresh and not had too many problems. Both times I did, it was me forgetting to vent immediately. If you try and do a pot roast and cook the veggies with the meat, it's gonna blast them. The roast gets done first, and then add the vegetables for the last two minutes. I mean, rice from dry takes five minutes of high pressure, then you let it bleed off for 10, then release whatever pressure is left. So obviously, softer things take less time in pressure and little to no no time to bleed. Potatoes ready to mash take 12 minutes of pressure with instant release, no time to bleed off naturally.
    See, its great that users will share their experiences with cook times because IP doesn't tell you anything other than push the correct button for what you're cooking. Rice button for rice, poultry for poultry. etc. The rest is trial and error and waste food and money.

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    See, its great that users will share their experiences with cook times because IP doesn't tell you anything other than push the correct button for what you're cooking. Rice button for rice, poultry for poultry. etc. The rest is trial and error and waste food and money.
    I never use the function buttons. I always google a recipe. I was printing them out, but it's easier to just google them again :) The popular recipes have thousands of reviews and experiences behind them, the trial and error is done. And then, after you get some of those under your belt, you get a feel for whats what. I do poached eggs, three at a time, and I can dial in firmness as I want now, started doing them at five minutes, then walking the minutes back until I got to three minutes, right where I like them.

One of my best sources of recipes is one of the instant Pot - Recipes Only Facebook group. Nice thing about that it that any recipe posted is gong to have comments talking about it and ways to make it better, or variations for taste.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    I never use the function buttons.
    I use the function buttons for a reference. Most things I cook take less time than the function is programmed to. But the functions get smarter as you use them and will set to the time/pressure you change them to.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    I use the function buttons for a reference. Most things I cook take less time than the function is programmed to. But the functions get smarter as you use them and will set to the time/pressure you change them to.
    No kidding, had no idea....... I should RTWFM, I suppose. :)

Man,

Just got six drumsticks from the commissary. Gave them a Grillmates Sweet and Smokey dry rub, tossed in about 3/4 of a cup of water, set for high pressure, 20 minutes, then about 10 minutes before releasing what little pressure there was. Tossed them on the grill for a minute or two to crisp the skin........ man, talk about tender....... just threw some jasmine rice into the water left over, should be ready in about 15 minutes.

I'm Surprised you were able to get to pressure with that little of water.

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    I'm Surprised you were able to get to pressure with that little of water.
    The 6qt can work fine with between 1/2 and 3/4. Pressure is up between 7-9 minutes. You need enough to cover the bottom by a little bit. Depends on your recipe of course.

I just can't get on board with pressure cooking ever since attending a fancy outdoor wedding where they served chicken that had been prepared in a pressure cooker. It was the most disgusting texture and taste I had ever experienced with chicken. I also have a fear of explosions and don't want to blow up just because I'm making dinner.
    Imagine how much better America would be if you would simply don a pair a pants before sitting down at your Playskool My First 'Puter.

LibertyBeacon

Quote Originally Posted by kwillia View Post
    I just can't get on board with pressure cooking ever since attending a fancy outdoor wedding where they served chicken that had been prepared in a pressure cooker. It was the most disgusting texture and taste I had ever experienced with chicken. I also have a fear of explosions and don't want to blow up just because I'm making dinner.
    These new ones have safety systems that remove the heat if the pressure gets too high and failing that, thermal fuse that actually melt and cuts power long before you get to explodey pressures. No fear of explosion. Dont think there have been any cases of exploding instant pots. AS for the texture and taste, I would guess that was due to the operator, in an old school not the method. One reason the old school went out of favor was that it takes a lot of effort to get them right. And that's why the new electronic ones are so in favor, they remove a lot of that effort.

https://instantpot.com/10-safety-mechanisms/

Members who have read this thread: 55