45 teachers quit due to violence in school

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Teachers in Pennsylvania's capital city are asking for support after a series of violent altercations with students has led to multiple resignations.The Harrisburg Education Association says at least 45 teachers have resigned between July and October. Association President Jody Barksdale says more have resigned since then.
Speaking at a school board meeting Monday evening, first-grade teacher Amanda Sheaffer says she has been hit and kicked by her students.

teacher leave those kids alone

“I have been kicked, punched, hit, scratched. I’ve had a student physically restraining me in front of my other students… And many of the personal things that I have bought for my classroom have been broken or destroyed,” first-grade teacher Amanda Sheaffer told the Harrisburg school board at its meeting Monday

2nd story

Now let's drill down and see what may be going on in these schools.

1st Downey Elementary school State Average
Test scores - English 15% Proficiency 60%
Math 11% 50%
Science 30% 76%

Students
Studies show that diversity in school leads to long-term benefits for students - This statement if from the website where I got the school data. You may agree or disagree with the statement in red.

Black 63%

Hispanic 31%

White 3%

Two or more race 2%

Asian 1%

Students from low-income families -
99%

Discipline - All Students - 3% Statewide 6%

2nd Melrose school State Average
Test scores - English 21% Proficiency 60%
Math 30% 50%
Science 56% 76%

Students
Black
56%

Hispanic
26%

Asian
12%

White
3%

Two or more races
2%

Low-income 100% of students

Hijinx

teacher leave those kids alone

2nd story

Now let's drill down and see what may be going on in these schools.

1st Downey Elementary school State Average
Test scores - English 15% Proficiency 60%
Math 11% 50%
Science 30% 76%

Students
Studies show that diversity in school leads to long-term benefits for students - This statement if from the website where I got the school data. You may agree or disagree with the statement in red.

Black 63%

Hispanic 31%

White 3%

Two or more race 2%

Asian 1%

Students from low-income families -
99%

Discipline - All Students - 3% Statewide 6%

2nd Melrose school State Average
Test scores - English 21% Proficiency 60%
Math 30% 50%
Science 56% 76%

Students
Black
56%

Hispanic
26%

Asian
12%

White
3%

Two or more races
2%

Low-income 100% of students

Lets throw some more money at education, that will solve the problem.
Sounds like Black and Hispanic parents are getting back at society by having their kids attack the teachers.

If its' this rough in Elementary School. High school should really be fun.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, if maybe they had teachers that looked like them, it might help...... isn't that the latest cry?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Am I reading this wrong? A 1st grade student was physically restraining the teacher. Are the kids huge or the teachers small?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I hate to harp on this, but these issue start at home with little or no parental involvement. Can't even take the 'hood out of 1st graders anymore. We are in bad, bad shape. Perhaps obama and moochelle can teach some of these classes for free, if they really cared.

Hijinx

Am I reading this wrong? A 1st grade student was physically restraining the teacher. Are the kids huge or the teachers small?

The size of the kid doesn't matter any more. The problem is the teacher isn't allowed to touch them in any way.

The kids know this, they get onto it fast.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
1st grade but probably 19 years old.

Listen to some of them interviewed on the news.