Do you tip a mobile detailer?

sparkyaclown

I am having a guy come out to detail all of my cars. He is the business owner so it's not like he has employees coming out to do the work. For anyone out there that has used a service like this, do you tip them? I've looked online and it seems to be skewed. Most of them lean towards tipping but are generally speaking of the car washes where there are a bunch of employees making minimum wage doing the work. My cars aren't extremely filthy so I don't see it as anything that would take longer than normal for him.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would say no also. Unless he does a super stellar job and you're just feeling extra generous.

General Lee

I am having a guy come out to detail all of my cars. He is the business owner so it's not like he has employees coming out to do the work. For anyone out there that has used a service like this, do you tip them? I've looked online and it seems to be skewed. Most of them lean towards tipping but are generally speaking of the car washes where there are a bunch of employees making minimum wage doing the work. My cars aren't extremely filthy so I don't see it as anything that would take longer than normal for him.

May I ask what his process is for detailing your vehicles? There is a difference between a detail and a wash and wax.

PeoplesElbow

May I ask what his process is for detailing your vehicles? There is a difference between a detail and a wash and wax.

Depends how much you pay, an expensive detail should clay bar the paint and do swirl removal with a dual action polisher before the wax.

General Lee

Depends how much you pay, an expensive detail should clay bar the paint and do swirl removal with a dual action polisher before the wax.

I know, I do detail work. Just wanted to make sure he is getting what he is paying for. To many hacks out there that call a wash n wax a detail.