Hunter mistakes woman for deer - 1 dead

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Not looking good for the hunter. Expect some jail time.

A woman was accidentally shot to death by a hunter who mistook her for a deer while she was walking her dogs in a rural field in Upstate New York, authorities say.
Rosemary Billquist, 43, took her dogs for a walk in her hometown near the Pennsylvania border around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to the Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office.

know your target

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Also is upstate New York northern New York or eastern New York? Erie is near southwestern New York, not what I'd guess is upstate.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I wonder if a follow up story is going to reveal her to be his ex.

PeoplesElbow

I would call that western NY myself.

Anyway the hunter was a dumbass. I do know people that get so excited to shoot a deer that they shoot "prematurely", one of them shot a goat before.

I never go near where they are going to be hunting.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
about 200 yards away in the dark, yep that would have helped. :sarcasm:

Ken, would a handgun be lethal at 200 yards? i don't know what he was packin' but that seems to be quite a shot at that distance unless it was some really high-powered firearm.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Ken, would a handgun be lethal at 200 yards? i don't know what he was packin' but that seems to be quite a shot at that distance unless it was some really high-powered firearm.

Yep, single shot hunting pistols come in about any caliber and barrel length you can imagine, a 45-70 or 7.62X39 (plus many others) could reach out that far with accuracy. I'm not sure what he was packing either but I'm betting it wasn't anything small with a short barrel.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Yep, single shot hunting pistols come in about any caliber and barrel length you can imagine, a 45-70 or 7.62X39 (plus many others) could reach out that far with accuracy. I'm not sure what he was packing either but I'm betting it wasn't anything small with a short barrel.
I’m calling some kind of BS
For a pistol to be accurate at tat distance you’d need a scope
With a scope you’d see it want a deer
5:30 is dark....you can’t really see 200yds

I’m walking into the woods right now deer hunting.....no one walking a dog need to worry...except messing up my hunt trespassing in which case I would yell not shoot

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I’m calling some kind of BS
For a pistol to be accurate at tat distance you’d need a scope
With a scope you’d see it want a deer
5:30 is dark....you can’t really see 200yds

I’m walking into the woods right now deer hunting.....no one walking a dog need to worry...except messing up my hunt trespassing in which case I would yell not shoot

What are you calling BS to? Single shot hunting pistols in various rifle cartridge calibers and barrel lengths can easily hit and kill at 200 yards. There are stories out there were a guy killed a deer at 500+ yards with open sights using a .357 revolver.

All that aside, it was obvious that the a-hole "hunter" couldn't identify his target as he thought a woman and 2 labs were a deer.

I've also read that they were neighbors, so maybe there was some sort of feud going on, but that's just speculating. Regardless this guy should get some serious time and not just DNR charges.

edit: As to it being dark, not sure how dark it was. Sunset was at 4:50, but astronomical twilight runs to 6:28 in that area on that date.

Last edited: