Republicans flee from McConnell in 2018 primaries

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Nobody wants to be on Team McConnell.

Heading into the 2018 elections, only one Republican Senate candidate nationwide has pledged unequivocally to back Mitch McConnell as majority leader. Most Republicans facing competitive primaries are hemming and hawing, admiring McConnell’s political savvy and fundraising apparatus — but also looking warily at his sinking approval ratings both with Republicans and the broader electorate.

Even in some of the red and purple states represented by Democratic senators where McConnell is hoping to pad his majority — places like Missouri, Michigan and Wisconsin — the leading candidates are dodging questions about McConnell's leadership or threatening to oppose him if the GOP Congress doesn't deliver on the party's legislative priorities in the coming months.

A few Senate candidates are outright spurning him, aligning themselves with former White House strategist Steve Bannon. Both Democrats and Republicans think President Donald Trump has simultaneously elevated McConnell in importance and blamed him for the slow pace of Republican legislating, including the failure to repeal Obamacare. The result is a GOP Senate leader few candidates want to publicly align with, even if they're likely to support him if they arrive in Washington.

Republicans flee from McConnell in 2018 primaries

transporter

4 posts in 9 minutes...need some extra cash for cyber Monday?

Does this reply add to your income for the morning?

Starman

The Turtle and Pelosi should brunch soon and discuss this -- she has lots of experience with GOP hatred.

Hijinx

4 posts in 9 minutes...need some extra cash for cyber Monday?

Does this reply add to your income for the morning?

Might I ask what your reply has to so with the prices of eggs?
The custom is to respond to the message of the post.

As for McConnell I wish they wouldn't blame his low ratings on Trump.
McConnell has done a great job of proving he cannot lead all by himself.
As amatter of fact I have thoughts that he may be working for the Democrats.

I certainly hope he is gone after 2018.
But then I waited for them to dump Boehner and they selected another loser in Ryan.
Sure would be nice to get some sort of leadership that wants to push the agenda we elected them for.