Lockheed Martin's New Toys

glhs837

Power with Control
Pretty sure the first one has no real connection to Lockheed Martin other than someone named the video that. Very few videos like that do not start with disclaimers and the company name. I think this one is like that video of the aircraft that pops the passenger compartment loose to parachute to safety if the aircraft gets in trouble, or the ones that show flatpack self erecting houses, just something an animation student whipped up. and the second doesn't reallt give a lot of meat, basically three of four bullet points.

1. Development announced.
2. People have seen stuff that might or might not be it
3. It would be really fast
4. They might make it....

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Pretty sure the first one has no real connection to Lockheed Martin other than someone named the video that. Very few videos like that do not start with disclaimers and the company name. I think this one is like that video of the aircraft that pops the passenger compartment loose to parachute to safety if the aircraft gets in trouble, or the ones that show flatpack self erecting houses, just something an animation student whipped up. and the second doesn't reallt give a lot of meat, basically three of four bullet points.

1. Development announced.
2. People have seen stuff that might or might not be it
3. It would be really fast
4. They might make it....

I agree about the first item - it appears to me as really just a video game, but a cool concept.

If in fact Skunk Works is looking at it, then bullet points are all we're going to get. Their history is super secretive, until years way after their product is on the flight line. The potential of a new jet has real possibilities, and the technology is there, I believe. But is the money?

Last edited:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I believe the SR-72 is real, and has been or will be built and agree we wont know jack for a long time in any case. Just wanted to point out that that video is pretty bad. I try and avoid non-aviation sources for aviation stories. Or at least folks with mechanical chops

http://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...monstrator-reportedly-spotted-at-skunk-works/

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/ar...nic-sr-72-blackbird-s-successor-aircraft.html

Popular Mechanics has been spot on on more than a few items over the decades. The SR-72 or whatevert it will be called will be an aircraft to behold, if anyone can ever behold it - it could be that fast!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If in fact Skunk Works is looking at it, then bullet points are all we're going to get. Their history is super secretive, until years way after their product is on the flight line. The potential of a new jet has real possibilities, and the technology is there, I believe. But is the money?

Black money always seems to have been available in abundance over the years.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Black money always seems to have been available in abundance over the years.

I think it's a bit harder to get large sums and keep it under wraps now than it was in the even recent past (the stealth 117 in the late 70's comes to mind), especially in this age of nearly instantaneous communications. I know hush-hush is key, but apparently not today, as we've found out on a regular basis in the last few years.

glhs837

Power with Control
I think it's a bit harder to get large sums and keep it under wraps now than it was in the even recent past (the stealth 117 in the late 70's comes to mind), especially in this age of nearly instantaneous communications. I know hush-hush is key, but apparently not today, as we've found out on a regular basis in the last few years.

I think it's easier to keep a "good secret" than a bad one.