Judges 5 Life was dangerous

seekeroftruth

Judges 5:10 “You who ride on white donkeys,
sitting on your saddle blankets,
and you who walk along the road,
consider 11 the voice of the singers(b) at the watering places.
They recite the victories of the Lord,
the victories of his villagers in Israel.
“Then the people of the Lord
went down to the city gates.
12 ‘Wake up, wake up, Deborah!
Wake up, wake up, break out in song!
Arise, Barak!
Take captive your captives, son of Abinoam.’​

b. Judges 5:11 The meaning of the Hebrew for this word is uncertain

This is from enduringword.com.

Deborah didn’t only care for her job of leadership. She also had a heart for other leaders and their work. Her vision was bigger than just getting “her job” done. She wanted to see the Kingdom of God advanced.

In Judges 5:2 Deborah spoke of the people offering themselves willingly. Here she notes that the sacrifices should also be borne by the leaders. They also must offer themselves willingly.

The song asked the civic leaders along with Deborah and Barak to tell the villagers in Israel the great things God did.

The common people needed to hear of God’s great works, and it was the job of leaders to tell them.

Recently life has become so unsafe. Now when I get around any crowded place, I scan the roof tops and windows. Church walls have been splintered by bullets. A preacher's mother told me the other day that "people are carrying" at her son's church. People are bringing their guns to church.... I never thought I would see the day.....

This is from the easy English site.

Even during the lives of Shamgar and Jael, the roads were too dangerous. People stopped using camels to carry things. They went on minor roads instead. They left villages to live safely in towns. These towns had walls. This continued until Deborah became ‘like a mother in Israel’. The people had chosen new gods. The result was war and weakness. Their enemies would not allow them to have anything to fight with. So they did not dare to show their weapons. Deborah’s feelings were with the leaders. And they were with the people who were willing to follow. These included the rich people that rode on white mules. And they also included the poor people, who walked. The singers at the wells encouraged them. They reminded them about what God and his people had done in the past. The people gathered at the city’s gates to give thanks.

Deborah is praising God for everything He has done to bring people together to make it safe to go about watering holes and the markets again.

And now.... look where we are.... stupid humans...

:coffee:

Last edited: