Was it all about the Logan Act?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The documents outlining Michael Flynn's guilty plea in the Trump-Russia investigation do not allege collusion or conspiracy between the Trump campaign and Russia to influence the 2016 election. They do, however, suggest that the Obama Justice Department was intensely interested in Flynn's discussions with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak about policy issues — sanctions against Russia, a United Nations resolution on Israel — during the presidential transition, when Barack Obama was still in the White House and Donald Trump was preparing to take office.

At the time, top Justice officials suspected Flynn of violating the Logan Act, the 218-year-old law under which no one has ever been prosecuted, that prohibits private citizens from acting on behalf of the United States in disputes with foreign governments. Starting in the summer of 2016 and intensifying in the transition period, the Logan Act, while mostly unknown to the general public, became a hot topic of conversation among some Democrats. A number of lawmakers, former officials, and commentators called on the Obama administration to investigate the Trump team for a possible Logan Act violations — and to do it while Democrats still controlled the executive branch.

At the same time, inside the Obama Justice Department, it appears the Logan Act became a paramount concern among some key officials in the critical weeks of December 2016 and January 2017. Former Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates has told Congress that the Logan Act was the first reason she intervened in the Flynn case — the reason FBI agents were sent to the White House to interview Flynn in the Trump administration's early days. It was that interview, held on Jan. 24, 2017, that ultimately led to Flynn's guilty plea.

Byron York: In Trump-Russia probe, was it all about the Logan Act?

Hijinx

The documents outlining Michael Flynn's guilty plea in the Trump-Russia investigation do not allege collusion or conspiracy between the Trump campaign and Russia to influence the 2016 election. They do, however, suggest that the Obama Justice Department was intensely interested in Flynn's discussions with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak about policy issues — sanctions against Russia, a United Nations resolution on Israel — during the presidential transition, when Barack Obama was still in the White House and Donald Trump was preparing to take office.

At the time, top Justice officials suspected Flynn of violating the Logan Act, the 218-year-old law under which no one has ever been prosecuted, that prohibits private citizens from acting on behalf of the United States in disputes with foreign governments. Starting in the summer of 2016 and intensifying in the transition period, the Logan Act, while mostly unknown to the general public, became a hot topic of conversation among some Democrats. A number of lawmakers, former officials, and commentators called on the Obama administration to investigate the Trump team for a possible Logan Act violations — and to do it while Democrats still controlled the executive branch.

At the same time, inside the Obama Justice Department, it appears the Logan Act became a paramount concern among some key officials in the critical weeks of December 2016 and January 2017. Former Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates has told Congress that the Logan Act was the first reason she intervened in the Flynn case — the reason FBI agents were sent to the White House to interview Flynn in the Trump administration's early days. It was that interview, held on Jan. 24, 2017, that ultimately led to Flynn's guilty plea.

Byron York: In Trump-Russia probe, was it all about the Logan Act?

Didn't John Kerry violate the Logan act when he spoke to the Viet Cong in Paris?
Isn't Obama violating that act now while he is visiting China and other countries.
And WTH is Obama an ex-POS President doing and talking about to these people?

awpitt

Main Streeter
Didn't John Kerry violate the Logan act when he spoke to the Viet Cong in Paris?
No. Unless you can show proof that he was acting on behalf of the United States.

Isn't Obama violating that act now while he is visiting China and other countries.

No. Unless you can show proof that he's acting on behalf of the United States. There is a long history of former presidents visiting other countries.
And WTH is Obama an ex-POS President doing and talking about to these people?

Again, there is a long history of former presidents visiting other countries. Not sure why you suddenly take issue with this one.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No. Unless you can show proof that he's acting on behalf of the United States. There is a long history of former presidents visiting other countries.

He is not acting on behalf of the United States, and in fact he is acting against our country in a rather spectacular way. Logan Act Schmogan Act. In my opinion he should be executed for treason. He is absolutely an enemy of the state.

Think about that: we have a former president running around the world trying to undermine our current president. We're not talking Dixie Chicks here, we're talking about a former United States President doing this ####.

The good news is that he was such a wimpy little joke while president, as an ex-president I can only think that the leaders of China and India are merely indulging his narcissism for their own amusement.

awpitt

Main Streeter
He is not acting on behalf of the United States, and in fact he is acting against our country in a rather spectacular way. Logan Act Schmogan Act. In my opinion he should be executed for treason. He is absolutely an enemy of the state.

Think about that: we have a former president running around the world trying to undermine our current president. We're not talking Dixie Chicks here, we're talking about a former United States President doing this ####.

The good news is that he was such a wimpy little joke while president, as an ex-president I can only think that the leaders of China and India are merely indulging his narcissism for their own amusement.

How is he acting against our country? What is he doing that treasonous? How's he undermining our current president? It's not as if he's the only former president to ever make foreign trips.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

That. Except.....its his handlers that worry me. Barry has always been simply a front puppet.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How is he acting against our country? What is he doing that treasonous? How's he undermining our current president? It's not as if he's the only former president to ever make foreign trips.

Okay, why are you doing this? You're smarter than this, I know you're smarter than this, and what's more you know I know you're smarter than this.

What do you think he's visiting for? So they can talk about golf and grandkids? He's going to push his "global warming" agenda - which is ridiculous and both India and China know it, although he'll have a willing cohort in the French tard. Obama has been very clear, in his own words: he thinks our president sucks and he is visiting foreign leaders to try and convince them to work against our President of the United States.

That is a direct act against our country. Obama is trying to collude with foreign heads to work against our president, and therefore our country. And obviously that is an undermining.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That is a direct act against our country.
Obama is trying to collude with foreign heads to work against our president, and therefore our country.
And obviously that is an undermining.

Carter should have been Jailed Decades ago

Starman

Okay, why are you doing this? You're smarter than this, I know you're smarter than this, and what's more you know I know you're smarter than this.

What do you think he's visiting for? So they can talk about golf and grandkids? He's going to push his "global warming" agenda - which is ridiculous and both India and China know it, although he'll have a willing cohort in the French tard. Obama has been very clear, in his own words: he thinks our president sucks and he is visiting foreign leaders to try and convince them to work against our President of the United States.

That is a direct act against our country. Obama is trying to collude with foreign heads to work against our president, and therefore our country. And obviously that is an undermining.

What part of all that equates to treason? Please be specific.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Carter should have been Jailed Decades ago

Carter at least gave the semblance of an elder statesman and didn't come right out with it - "I am working actively against US interests in hopes of overthrowing the US President."

Obama is a ####ing disgrace. He is a traitor and a #### bag, and once he got on that plane and left US soil if it were up to me I'd have him declared a dangerous dissident and not allow his ass back in.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What part of all that equates to treason? Please be specific.

treason (trēˈzən)►
n.
Violation of allegiance toward one's country or sovereign, especially the betrayal of one's country by waging war against it or by consciously and purposely acting to aid its enemies.

Just because you agree with it doesn't make it not treasonous. It just means that you condone treason.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I saw an article over the weekend, suggesting Obama should be brought back in hand cuffs by the US Marshals Service

Nope, just not allow him back in. France can keep his traitor ass. If he's arrested and brought back in handcuffs, he becomes Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King Jr rolled into one, and he doesn't deserve that designation.

Starman

treason (trēˈzən)►
n.
Violation of allegiance toward one's country or sovereign, especially the betrayal of one's country by waging war against it or by consciously and purposely acting to aid its enemies.

Just because you agree with it doesn't make it not treasonous. It just means that you condone treason.

What are some examples of this "violation of allegiance"? Please be specific. Are you in the room when these meetings are going on?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What are some examples of this "violation of allegiance"? Please be specific. Are you in the room when these meetings are going on?

Okay, so once again you're not even following the news and know zero what you're talking about, yet feel compelled to blather anyway.

And no, I'm not going to provide you with links to stories you're not going to read. Obama's trip agenda has been all over TV, the internet, and the newspapers - in his own words.

Starman

Okay, so once again you're not even following the news and know zero what you're talking about, yet feel compelled to blather anyway.

And no, I'm not going to provide you with links to stories you're not going to read. Obama's trip agenda has been all over TV, the internet, and the newspapers - in his own words.

I'm well familiar with his trips. I'm asking you specifically which action(s) are treason, since that is your charge. So, yes, I will need links to demonstrate your charges.

awpitt

Main Streeter

I'm doing this because I thought you might have had some documentation supporting your assertion that Obama is committing any treasonous acts. He's going around with his hat out drumming up support and $ for his foundation. He's not violating any US laws just as previous former presidents weren't violating any US laws when they traveled after leaving office.