Land to hunt deer

lovinmaryland

This is probably a dumb question but whatever...How do you go about finding land to hunt on?

My son has recently taken an interest in hunting. He passed all the safety courses, got his hunting license, purchased a gun and all the accessories. A family friend has land that they said he could hunt on...however there are about 6 other hunters who also hunt on the property and have been doing so for a few years so as you can imagine they're not too excited to have share spots. He's gone out probably 8xs now and hasn't seen anything so far. Sounds like the other guys have each gotten a deer so far one guy possibly two. (I'm wondering if they kinda told him he had to hunt in the crappy area :ohwell:) So I think he's getting a little frustrated.

There is a lot of farms and open land by where we live and I know theres deer around us because I've hit several :lol: I just wonder how you go about asking people to hunt on their land...is that even a thing?? Or is there like open land people are allowed to hunt on?

black dog

Free America
I would suggest that your son buys a bow and hunts during bow season to start with where he has permission to hunt right now. Most folks don't hunt bow season and pressure of lots of hunters in the field is much less. And most likely it won't bother the other regular hunters on that property.
It's hard as a land owner to allow folks to hunt your property even when you know them. It just seems to always turn into a problem with them.

I would suggest that he stops and talk to your local land owners and offer to help them with chores on the property and for payment to be allowed to hunt certain seasons on that property if the relationship works out.
I wish him good luck..

lovinmaryland

I would suggest that your son buys a bow and hunts during bow season to start with where he has permission to hunt right now. Most folks don't hunt bow season and pressure of lots of hunters in the field is much less. And most likely it won't bother the other regular hunters on that property.
It's hard as a land owner to allow folks to hunt your property even when you know them. It just seems to always turn into a problem with them. I would suggest that he stops and talk to your local land owners and offer to help them with chores on the property and for payment to be allowed to hunt certain seasons on that property if the relationship works out.
I wish him good luck..
I was thinking the same thing. I really like the idea of offering to help around the property in exchange to hunt.

He does plan on getting a bow...but unfortunately these guys bow hunt as well. I just feel bad for him. He's a good kid (responsible, respectful, etc..) I suggested he might take a day off of work to hunt. Seems like the other guys hunt Friday-Monday...so that might help :shrug:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Here is a list of public lands for St. Marys, have him call and find out what he needs to do to use them.

Elms CWMA:
545 acres. Sign-in required.
Environmental education on adjacent site. 301-743-5161.

Greenwell State Park:
187 acres. 301-872-5688.

Historic St. Mary’s City CWMA:
175 acres. Deer hunting only, beginning Dec. 1st. Open Tues.- Sat. (closed Christmas). Reservation required. 301-743-5161.

Newtowne Neck State Park:
500 acres. Permit and reservation required for all hunting except for offshore waterfowl zones. 301-743-5161.

Myrtle Point CWMA:
192 acres. Deer and waterfowl hunting only. Permit and reservation required. Deer archery hunting only; open Oct. 15 – Jan. 31. Waterfowl hunting by boat only in the third split of the season. 301-743-5161.

Point Lookout State Park (Jacobs Tract Only):
240 acres. Deer and waterfowl hunting only. Hunters must use archery equipment during the early muzzleloader season. Waterfowl hunting at designated sites. 301-872-5688.

St. Clement’s Island State Park:
63 acres. Rabbit and waterfowl hunting only. Free permit required for offshore waterfowl hunting zone – Contact 301-743-5161. Accessible only by boat. Park information: 301-872-5688.

Salem Tract (State Forest):
1550 acres. 301-743-5161.

St. Inigoes State Forest:
600 acres. Permit and reservation required at all times. 301-743-5161.

St. Mary’s Lake:
Waterfowl hunting at designated sites only. Boat access only (No gas motors). Reservation required. 301-743-5161.

St. Mary’s River State Park
2,200 acres. 301-872-5688.

For the entire state - http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/public-hunting-lands/

black dog

Free America
I was thinking the same thing. I really like the idea of offering to help around the property in exchange to hunt.

He does plan on getting a bow...but unfortunately these guys bow hunt as well. I just feel bad for him. He's a good kid (responsible, respectful, etc..) I suggested he might take a day off of work to hunt. Seems like the other guys hunt Friday-Monday...so that might help :shrug:

Have him hunt late afternoons during the week.. But I will say as a land owner j would much rather have someone hunting on my property that's not in my inter circle using a bow verces a firearm. And the woods generally are alot less crowded during bow.
He also has the option of hunting public land, The propertys are on DNR's website and in the yearly reg and dates for seasons that DNR puts out that's available where you get your hunting license.
Also with bow hunting he can hunt lots of communitys where you can't use a firearm.
My son and I have harvested many deer on a few lots in Golden Beach..
Have him think outside the box. I overheard a woman at the grocery store about problems with the deer eating all her landscaping... Once we were in Golden Beach the offers kept coming in..
Lots of communitys have woods set aside, find out who owns the woods and talk to them.. You gotta dig to find the prize...

lovinmaryland

Have him hunt late afternoons during the week.. But I will say as a land owner j would much rather have someone hunting on my property that's not in my inter circle using a bow verces a firearm. And the woods generally are alot less crowded during bow.
He also has the option of hunting public land, The propertys are on DNR's website and in the yearly reg and dates for seasons that DNR puts out that's available where you get your hunting license.
Also with bow hunting he can hunt lots of communitys where you can't use a firearm.
My son and I have harvested many deer on a few lots in Golden Beach..
Have him think outside the box. I overheard a woman at the grocery store about problems with the deer eating all her landscaping... Once we were in Golden Beach the offers kept coming in..
Lots of communitys have woods set aside, find out who owns the woods and talk to them.. You gotta dig to find the prize...

Awesome! I will let him know all of this. I'll keep you posted.

I don't know anything about hunting either but I suggested the late afternoon also...the family friend posted pictures of the grass/field area and it was filled w/ deer at the tree line. I told him he just set up there on the outskirts and wait vs. taking the spot they told him in the middle of the woods :shrug:

black dog

Free America

I've never been in the woods on that side of the hill & Dale community but I have hunted or walked most of the propertys on the hearts desire side and behind the townhouses on the waterside. That property I'm betting is just above the marshland at the creeks headwaters. I bet most of it is swampy.. maybe not., I will say I have a friend that owns about 40 acres in hearts desire for better than 20 years. Nothing but small deer their through Minehearts property ( The bulk of the old Parlett Farm ) down past Morgan Bros Farm. Across the bridge at Cremona and Raleys farms, deer tend to grow a bunch..
I would bet that someone easily could harvest half a dozen deer on that property a year without working hard..
I don't know how hard the farms at the end of Cooney Neck above that property are hunted...

General Lee

How old is your son? There is a lot to learn being a new hunter. Scent control, Movement control, etc. yes, maybe the fellas gave him a crappy spot but maybe he is not sitting still enough, making to much noise, not controlling his scent, and just hasn't keyed his eyes and ears in on the sights and sounds in the woods??

lovinmaryland

How old is your son? There is a lot to learn being a new hunter. Scent control, Movement control, etc. yes, maybe the fellas gave him a crappy spot but maybe he is not sitting still enough, making to much noise, not controlling his scent, and just hasn't keyed his eyes and ears in on the sights and sounds in the woods??

He's almost 20. He's not a pro by any means so I am sure those things are a factor as well, although he has mentioned doing things to counter act his scent and stuff.

Chris0nllyn

My best advice is to find a mentor.

Walking around in the woods is a great way to learn, but having someone with years of knowledge is invaluable.

black dog

Free America
I've got better than 4 decades of sound voting experience thank you.
... That puts me leaps and bounds ahead of you..

Chris0nllyn

I've got better than 4 decades of sound voting experience thank you.
... That puts me leaps and bounds ahead of you..

Aw, don't get salty.

Voting D or R the last 4 decades hasn't really helped me, unless you consider perpetual wars, increasingly corrupt politicians, and growing debt wins so I'm not sure I'd be too proud about it.

Clem72

Must be smart deer in your neighborhood. I have to chase them out of my damn yard 2x a week. If I was inclined (and licensed) I'm sure I could bag my quota from my kitchen window.

black dog

Free America
Must be smart deer in your neighborhood. I have to chase them out of my damn yard 2x a week. If I was inclined (and licensed) I'm sure I could bag my quota from my kitchen window.

I agree, Other than hunting Merriam Turkeys with my brother out west, eastern semi-urban whitetails have been the dumbest animal I have harvested in North America...

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I agree, Other than hunting Merriam Turkeys with my brother out west, eastern semi-urban whitetails have been the dumbest animal I have harvested in North America...

How many 5+ year old bucks? Not many I’m sure.....

black dog

Free America
I've never been a antler hunter.
But for the most part seeing a 5 year wild whitetail doesn't happen that often anyway.
In the wild, the majority of deer don't make it to that age because of disease, hunting and automobile collisions. The average life span for wild white-tailed deer is 4.5 years.
In St Mary's I don't think I ever harvested a deer over 3 years old, at my place in Indiana we have harvested many 3-4 year old deer.. alot less pressure their also.. easily a few thousand acres that maybe 10 folks hunt..
I hunt for a few folks and my freezers and the local food bank.

General Lee

You have a point. Neighborhood deer are used to sights, sounds and odors of the neighborhood. They're used to people and being close in their surroundings. Hunt a more isolated area and its a whole different game.