Second Massively Expensive "destroyer" leaves BIW

b23hqb

PREMO Member
My ship, USS Worden DLG/CG-18 was built at BIW between 1960 and 61, and only cost about 36 mil to build, not counting later upgrades. What an increase in weaponry and design costs today is mind-boggling.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Not Really, it is all the overhead - aka paperwork to prove you are not ripping off the Gov.

Even accounting for a 55 year gap with inflation and increased salary, I doubt that overhead is, by far, the only reason for an about 75X increase in cost. Things are a bit pricey these days, for sure.:buddies:

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
Even accounting for a 55 year gap with inflation and increased salary, I doubt that overhead is, by far, the only reason for an about 75X increase in cost. Things are a bit pricey these days, for sure.:buddies:

Cutting the order from about 32 down to 3 probably has some to do with the cost. A good portion of R&D would have been spread across all ships; now only 3.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Cutting the order from about 32 down to 3 probably has some to do with the cost. A good portion of R&D would have been spread across all ships; now only 3.

Yeah - but three billion per? That's a lot of money, and I hope we get our money's worth out of them.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member

Along with that, I seem to recall that the hi-tech "smart" munitions for the deck guns became too expensive for just three ships, so the Navy had to scramble to find a traditional munition for replacement.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Indeed, I over simplified a bit

cost of materials
cost of labor
more expensive system - everything is computerized these days

IMHO after all the rage over 50k toilet seats etc .... the cost of the bureaucracy tacked on has to be enormous

oh the frick'en Zumwalt Class ...
Oh Yeah a cluster fuk of epic proportions

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...-dumbed-down-zumwalts-and-their-ammoless-guns

Good article, and the main thing I get out of it is that the Navy doesn't really know what to do with these ships, and they currently don't really know what they want to do with these $4 billion "assets". What a conundrum.

FUBAR, for sure. All political, of course.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Along with that, I seem to recall that the hi-tech "smart" munitions for the deck guns became too expensive for just three ships, so the Navy had to scramble to find a traditional munition for replacement.

yeah with the cut backs the shells were going to cost $ 800k each