Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is this a case about gay rights and not Religious right........

Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    What if the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster opened a bakery that didn’t serve Christians. I doubt you would just turn the other cheek
    Why in the world would I bring my business to such a place? Why would I want a product from such a place if I had to use the force of law to make them do business with me?

I wouldn't "turn the other cheek". I wouldn't GO there.

But here's the thing - there are designers that won't do clothes for Melania Trump.
    We have artists refusing to practice THEIR art and canceling concerts because they disagree with some state law passed.
    We have news organizations refusing advertisements because they disagree with the content.

Such things are allowed. This baker said, no, I won't do this.

His words - "The two men who came into my shop that day were living out their beliefs. All I did was attempt to live out mine. I respect their right to choose and hoped they would respect mine.They did not. And, considering all of the hate mail, obscene calls and death threats my family has received since I was sued, a lot of other people don’t see tolerance as a two-way street, either."

How thoughtful. Do what we want or we'll hurt you. Kill you.That's the side being defended.

You refer to - I presume the Bible - as a book of fairy tales being used to treat people poorly.
    Well, what's your excuse? At least with the Bible - or Koran - or Torah - or the Vedas or any of hundreds of religious scripts going back millennia - the right to worship freely is strangely the VERY FIRST right protected in the First Amendment.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    Isn't that in the brown jar next to the Nutella at the grocery store?
    This has nothing to do with this thread, but I saw you have a new avatar, doc. I tried to expand it, but it is blurry; I even got out my glasses, which I seldom use. What does it say? Just wondering.

Thanks.
    Last edited by littlelady; 12-07-2017 at 02:08 AM.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Why in the world would I bring my business to such a place? Why would I want a product from such a place if I had to use the force of law to make them do business with me?

But here's the thing - there are designers that won't do clothes for Melania Trump.
    We have artists refusing to practice THEIR art and canceling concerts because they disagree with some state law passed.
    We have news organizations refusing advertisements because they disagree with the content.

His words - "The two men who came into my shop that day were living out their beliefs. All I did was attempt to live out mine. I respect their right to choose and hoped they would respect mine.They did not. And, considering all of the hate mail, obscene calls and death threats my family has received since I was sued, a lot of other people don’t see tolerance as a two-way street, either."

How thoughtful. Do what we want or we'll hurt you. Kill you.That's the side being defended.

You refer to - I presume the Bible - as a book of fairy tales being used to treat people poorly.
    Well, what's your excuse? At least with the Bible - or Koran - or Torah - or the Vedas or any of hundreds of religious scripts going back millennia - the right to worship freely is strangely the VERY FIRST right protected in the First Amendment.
    Wow. That was an awesome reply, and the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post

Yes but where you and the baker are both wrong is comparing a belief such as believing in the Bible to an inherent trait such as being gay, black, handicapped , white.

You can not penalize someone for the way they were born or on some people’s belief system the way god made them. What you can do is penalize people for believing a book tells them it is ok to be a bigot.

What you can do is penalize people for believing a book tells them it is ok to be a bigot.

ah yes, name calling to shut down the discussion
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Yes but where you and the baker are both wrong is comparing a belief such as believing in the Bible to an inherent trait such as being gay, black, handicapped , white.

You can not penalize someone for the way they were born or on some people’s belief system the way god made them. What you can do is penalize people for believing a book tells them it is ok to be a bigot.
    The Bible says nothing about blacks, handicapped or white, why do you keep stating that lie. It doesn’t even mention being stupid as a sin.
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    How is it that you don't see how crazy you sound when you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    This has nothing to do with this thread, but I saw you have a new avatar, doc. I tried to expand it, but it is blurry; I even got out my glasses, which I seldom use. What does it say? Just wondering.

Thanks.
    New Avi says
    :Name:  Pissing off libtards.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  24.3 KB
    “In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act” - Geo Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    ah yes, name calling to shut down the discussion
    Are you still unable to explain the difference between the Piggie park decision and the current case?

Or you just gonna throw up some more diversions and lies?

Are you still unable to explain the difference between the Piggie park decision and the current case?

I already did, you were not paying attention
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    New Avi says
    :Name:  Pissing off libtards.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  24.3 KB
    Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 45