Judges 6 "Pardon Me Lord"

seekeroftruth

Judges 6:11 The angel of the Lord came and sat down under the oak in Ophrah that belonged to Joash the Abiezrite, where his son Gideon was threshing wheat in a winepress to keep it from the Midianites. 12 When the angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon, he said, “The Lord is with you, mighty warrior.”

13 “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but if the Lord is with us, why has all this happened to us? Where are all his wonders that our ancestors told us about when they said, ‘Did not the Lord bring us up out of Egypt?’ But now the Lord has abandoned us and given us into the hand of Midian.”

14 The Lord turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?”

15 “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.”

16 The Lord answered, “I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites, leaving none alive.”

17 Gideon replied, “If now I have found favor in your eyes, give me a sign that it is really you talking to me. 18 Please do not go away until I come back and bring my offering and set it before you.”

And the Lord said, “I will wait until you return.”​

It seems that God often picks those who are the least likely to be the perfect fit.

This is from the easy English site.

The angel of the Lord is God, who is appearing as a person. Usually, God gave messages under an oak tree that was a holy tree. Gideon’s father came from the family of Abiezer, Manasseh’s son. The hole in the ground was called a winepress. (The ground there was rock.) In there, people used their feet to crush grapes. The juice ran down to a place where something held it. Gideon was able to separate corn from stems in the winepress. This shows how small the harvest was. Gideon was like other people who lived at that time. He thought that God had left him alone. God had done things for his people in the past. But he thought that God had not done such things in the present. However, God made him feel sure that God was giving him the task. Gideon thought that he was not the most suitable person for it. But God encouraged him. He promised to be with Gideon.

Can't you just hear Gideon saying "who me?"

On top of that.... God is appearing to lowly Gideon in person!

This is from the blueletterbible.org site.

When the Angel of the LORD appeared to Gideon, we recognize this is as a theophany - an Old Testament appearance of Jesus Christ, in human, bodily form, but before His incarnation in Bethlehem.

The description of the encounter with the Angel of the LORD shows that this is not merely an angel speaking on behalf of God. It shows that God himself, appearing in human form, spoke to Gideon:

- Then the LORD turned to him and said
- And the LORD said to him​

Do you think Gideon knew who he had waiting? Gideon told God to "wait right here"!

Pardon Me Lord....

:coffee: