Donad Trump Jr erroneously claims he can plead the 5th

Sapidus

WASHINGTON — Donald Trump Jr. refused on Wednesday to provide a congressional committee details of a July telephone conversation with his father about a meeting last year at which Trump campaign officials had expected to receive damaging information from the Russian government about Hillary Clinton.

Testifying in a closed session before the House Intelligence Committee, Mr. Trump claimed that his conversation over the summer with his father, two days after The New York Times disclosed the June 2016 meeting at Trump Tower in Manhattan, was protected under attorney-client privilege because lawyers for both men were on the call.

Mr. Schiff said that he believed the contents of the phone call should not be kept secret simply because lawyers participated in it. “The presence of counsel does not make communications between father and son a privilege,” he said. He added that he would follow up with Mr. Futerfas about the legal basis for refusing to disclose what was discussed

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/us/donald-trump-jr-intel-committee.html

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
WASHINGTON — Donald Trump Jr. refused on Wednesday to provide a congressional committee details of a July telephone conversation with his father about a meeting last year at which Trump campaign officials had expected to receive damaging information from the Russian government about Hillary Clinton.

Testifying in a closed session before the House Intelligence Committee, Mr. Trump claimed that his conversation over the summer with his father, two days after The New York Times disclosed the June 2016 meeting at Trump Tower in Manhattan, was protected under attorney-client privilege because lawyers for both men were on the call.

Mr. Schiff said that he believed the contents of the phone call should not be kept secret simply because lawyers participated in it. “The presence of counsel does not make communications between father and son a privilege,” he said. He added that he would follow up with Mr. Futerfas about the legal basis for refusing to disclose what was discussed

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/us/donald-trump-jr-intel-committee.html

It could if the father and son have the same lawyer and the discussion is between the father, son and lawyer.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
you ALWAYS have the right to not incriminate yourself

irrespective of what you fascists wish were true

Sapidus

It could if the father and son have the same lawyer and the discussion is between the father, son and lawyer.

You should reread the quote and give it another shot.

It is clear they are discussing two seperate lawyers

Last edited:

Starman

This is true to a certain extent.

Even if the attorney represents both, and there is no waiver of privilege, there is generally a crime exception to the attorney privilege which means the conversations are not privileged.

However, no attorney could ethically represent them both, ergo, not a privileged conversation.

Last edited:

Starman

But it’s a valiant attempt on Jr’s part. I expect he will try a sovereign citizen defense next.

Sapidus

But it’s a valiant attempt on Jr’s part. I expect he will try a sovereign citizen defense next.

Donald Trump Sr on Donald Trump Jr

" Distant family, only met him once or twice. He got coffee and McDonalds for us I think"

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
This is true to a certain extent.

Even if the attorney represents both, and there is no waiver of privilege, there is generally a crime exception to the attorney privilege which means the conversations are not privileged.

However, no attorney could ethically represent them both, ergo, not a privileged conversation.

I'm going to go with the tactic worked. On a side note the attorney client privilege claim doesn't mean anyone took the fifth.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I'm going to go with the tactic worked. On a side note the attorney client privilege claim doesn't mean anyone took the fifth.

I think it worked too.
CNN cannot come up with an expert to counteract the claim. Only Democratic Congress people who have no knowledge of law.....sort of like Sappy and the Star.......

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I believe pleading the Fifth - "I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me" - is different than citing attorney-client privilege. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Starman

I believe pleading the Fifth - "I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me" - is different than citing attorney-client privilege. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, very different. The title on this post is wrong. Jr didn’t assert his 5th amendment right; he claimed the information was protected by A/C privilege. But he’s not correct for the reasons I stated above.

If this goes further he may assert the 5th, but we shall see how this proceeds from here.

Sapidus

Sorry.

I would fix the title but I’m sure by time I do he will do just that when called to testify in front of congress.

Starman

Furthermore, a more important point is that this was a conversation with his father, not his lawyers. You can’t just have a lawyer present and be able to claim client-attorney privilege. You actually have to be discussing a case with your attorney. That probably overrides all other points.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Sorry.

I would fix the title but I’m sure by time I do he will do just that when called to testify in front of congress.

Pay for Premo you cheap liberal bastard.....I know you think everthing should be free....but you would be able to change it if yould cough up a couple of nickles to support Vrais adventure.....just sayin’

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Pay for Premo you cheap liberal bastard.....I know you think everthing should be free....but you would be able to change it if yould cough up a couple of nickles to support Vrais adventure.....just sayin’

That's right. Those margaritas aren't going to buy themselves, you know.