Barn find Cannonball Pantera

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Saw that. Mine was also a "barn find" in a sense..since it had been stored since the early 80s.
car.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
But the engine alone in mine is worth 15 large..built the same week as one for Matt LeBlanc. by Hall Pantera, Late 90s.

Pantera engine.jpg

acommondisaster

When I was in A school in Pensacola, I dated a guy whose dad bought him a spiffy new black Pantera when he graduated from boot camp. Used to love when we'd be tooling around off base and someone would want to race. 70's ...good times. Still one of my favorite cars.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I have lurked on a few forums for Panteras I cannot believe how poorly they were built

all the rebuilding / redesigning / straightening or replacement of frame / body components to correct shoddy factory work

but then, it was the 1970s they don't build them like they used to

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have lurked on a few forums for Panteras I cannot believe how poorly they were built

all the rebuilding / redesigning / straightening or replacement of frame / body components to correct shoddy factory work

Each body was assembled start to finish by three-man teams and then placed in to something more resembling a typical assembly line. So naturally, there were large variations in quality, finish, dimensions, etc .

And zero effort at treating interior metal panels, voids etc so they are legendary for rusting to the ground. Mine is rare in that respect. It was a southern car and only on the road for a few years and 14k miles before going in to storage where it stayed since 1981.

glhs837

Power with Control

Do some reading on how DeLoreans were built, comical.....

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Each body was assembled start to finish by three-man teams and then placed in to something more resembling a typical assembly line. So naturally, there were large variations in quality, finish, dimensions, etc .

- well that kinda makes sense ... did Shelby have this problem with Cobras :shrug:

And zero effort at treating interior metal panels, voids etc so they are legendary for rusting to the ground.

Whoops ..... I dunno, I just 'assumed' hand built sports cars were of a higher quality than Vegas coming off the assembly line at Chevy

Do some reading on how DeLoreans were built, comical.....

well that was Detroit :lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Whoops ..... I dunno, I just 'assumed' hand built sports cars were of a higher quality than Vegas coming off the assembly line at Chevy

DeTomaso had never before had to deliver "large" numbers of cars at cheaper prices before the Pantera. The Mangusta, which preceded the Pantera, and of which only 401 were built over a 4 year period ('67-'71), were much better crafted and sold for more money.

The rear shot of a Pantera is practically iconic though...gotta love 'em.
dat ass doe.jpg dat ass 2.jpg

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control

No, was not........Go look, it's far worse than that :)

acommondisaster

If you can find a copy of the book "Rivethead", it's an interesting read about the Detroit assembly line in the 70s/80s through the eyes of a "shoprat". Makes you wonder how any car built on a Monday or Friday during that era was safe enough to drive.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The quality issues with the Pantera, particularly the first year, were legion. Ford, to their credit, stepped up and corrected all of them through a very aggressive program implemented at the dealers. Drove the dealers nuts. I have a bound collection of the entire list of TSBs Ford issued on the Pantera....it is amazing in scope. It's also a valuable aid in building or restoring one. Panteras are funny in the collector car realm in that builds that include the hundreds of mods and upgrades developed over the last 40 years will fetch a lot more money than a bone stock original will. In some cases, LOT more.

I have a lot of documentation on the history of mine going almost back to the original purchase. Fun stuff, like: Gary Hall (RIP) at Hall Pantera* built the racing engine that is in mine. Hall were cranking out an average of one engine a week back then (mid 90s) but completed and tested two the week mine was done. The one I have....and the one bought by a very avid Pantera enthusiast and amateur racer by the name of Matt LeBlanc .... "Joey Tribiani".

* http://hallpantera.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-custom.cgi?d=hallpantera-inc&page=6414

Last edited: