Judges 6 Face to Face

seekeroftruth

Judges 6:19 Gideon went inside, prepared a young goat, and from an ephah[a] of flour he made bread without yeast. Putting the meat in a basket and its broth in a pot, he brought them out and offered them to him under the oak.

20 The angel of God said to him, “Take the meat and the unleavened bread, place them on this rock, and pour out the broth.” And Gideon did so. 21 Then the angel of the Lord touched the meat and the unleavened bread with the tip of the staff that was in his hand. Fire flared from the rock, consuming the meat and the bread. And the angel of the Lord disappeared. 22 When Gideon realized that it was the angel of the Lord, he exclaimed, “Alas, Sovereign Lord! I have seen the angel of the Lord face to face!”

23 But the Lord said to him, “Peace! Do not be afraid. You are not going to die.”

24 So Gideon built an altar to the Lord there and called it The Lord Is Peace. To this day it stands in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.​

This is from the easy English site.

Gideon was like other people who lived at that time. He thought that God had left him alone. God had done things for his people in the past. But he thought that God had not done such things in the present. However, God made him feel sure that God was giving him the task. Gideon thought that he was not the most suitable person for it. But God encouraged him. He promised to be with Gideon.

Israel’s people had to learn how great their enemy was. In verses 17-18, Gideon asked for a sign. And he offered a present. The word for ‘present’ means something that people offered to a king. Or they offered it to an important person. The present was expensive, as they had very little food. The flour weighed between 34 and 45 pounds (15-20 kilograms). The fire burnt up the meal. Then Gideon knew who his visitor was. And he was afraid. People believed that no person could continue to live after he or she had seen God. That is why Gideon was afraid. The Lord told him that he would not die. So he built an altar (a stone table with a flat top on which to burn dead animals and gifts). From this story, we learn how the place got its name. The name means ‘The Lord sent peace’.​

We just had a Thanksgiving meal at my daughter's house. My son-in-law is a great cook and the meal was fabulous. I am reminded, however, when my daughters and my son were little and times were not so good. We didn't have a turkey or even a chicken one Thanksgiving. We stood in line to get what turned out to be a thanksgiving dinner built around turkey hotdogs.... money was horribly tight.... If I had burned those hotdogs to a crisp, I think I would have been suicidal. I can't imagine what I would do if a stranger came in and, with a zap of a wand, burned those hotdogs to a crisp. This is another of those incredible stories that kind of make sense but test the imagination.

Gideon thought he was going to die. No One looks directly at God. No One knows what God looks like..... but God decided to come to Gideon's house and have a face to face with him. God decided to give Gideon a task. God had faith in Gideon... but Gideon was afraid of God. Afraid in this instance doesn't mean respect [as in fear of the Lord]... it means fear.... Gideon had seen the face of God.... only Moses saw the face of God.... Gideon knew he wasn't Moses.... Gideon just knew he was going to be cooked.... just like his dinner... zapped by that stick and reduced to ash......

Gideon didn't know just how valuable a turkey hotdog type of guy could be to God.

:coffee:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Judges 6:19 Gideon went inside, prepared a young goat, and from an ephah[a] of flour he made bread without yeast. Putting the meat in a basket and its broth in a pot, he brought them out and offered them to him under the oak.

20 The angel of God said to him, “Take the meat and the unleavened bread, place them on this rock, and pour out the broth.” And Gideon did so. 21 Then the angel of the Lord touched the meat and the unleavened bread with the tip of the staff that was in his hand. Fire flared from the rock, consuming the meat and the bread. And the angel of the Lord disappeared. 22 When Gideon realized that it was the angel of the Lord, he exclaimed, “Alas, Sovereign Lord! I have seen the angel of the Lord face to face!”

23 But the Lord said to him, “Peace! Do not be afraid. You are not going to die.”

24 So Gideon built an altar to the Lord there and called it The Lord Is Peace. To this day it stands in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.​

This is from the easy English site.
Gideon was like other people who lived at that time. He thought that God had left him alone. God had done things for his people in the past. But he thought that God had not done such things in the present. However, God made him feel sure that God was giving him the task. Gideon thought that he was not the most suitable person for it. But God encouraged him. He promised to be with Gideon.

Israel’s people had to learn how great their enemy was. In verses 17-18, Gideon asked for a sign. And he offered a present. The word for ‘present’ means something that people offered to a king. Or they offered it to an important person. The present was expensive, as they had very little food. The flour weighed between 34 and 45 pounds (15-20 kilograms). The fire burnt up the meal. Then Gideon knew who his visitor was. And he was afraid. People believed that no person could continue to live after he or she had seen God. That is why Gideon was afraid. The Lord told him that he would not die. So he built an altar (a stone table with a flat top on which to burn dead animals and gifts). From this story, we learn how the place got its name. The name means ‘The Lord sent peace’.​

We just had a Thanksgiving meal at my daughter's house. My son-in-law is a great cook and the meal was fabulous. I am reminded, however, when my daughters and my son were little and times were not so good. We didn't have a turkey or even a chicken one Thanksgiving. We stood in line to get what turned out to be a thanksgiving dinner built around turkey hotdogs.... money was horribly tight.... If I had burned those hotdogs to a crisp, I think I would have been suicidal. I can't imagine what I would do if a stranger came in and, with a zap of a wand, burned those hotdogs to a crisp. This is another of those incredible stories that kind of make sense but test the imagination.

Gideon thought he was going to die. No One looks directly at God. No One knows what God looks like..... but God decided to come to Gideon's house and have a face to face with him. God decided to give Gideon a task. God had faith in Gideon... but Gideon was afraid of God. Afraid in this instance doesn't mean respect [as in fear of the Lord]... it means fear.... Gideon had seen the face of God.... only Moses saw the face of God.... Gideon knew he wasn't Moses.... Gideon just knew he was going to be cooked.... just like his dinner... zapped by that stick and reduced to ash......

Gideon didn't know just how valuable a turkey hotdog type of guy could be to God.

:coffee:

:lol: Humor is everything. Love you! Hope you are still doing well. I wanted to post because of the hypocrisy of it all. First it is the Pope wanting to change the Lord’s Prayer. And, then all the other crap going on. I never miss your daily posts. Thank you. :huggy:

http://biblehub.com/galatians/6-7.htm

Last edited: