AP Fact checking last night's Trump rally

transporter

As usual, Trump and facts mix as well as oil and water. An you all say he is qualified for the job, speaks well and is knowledgeable!!! Oh right it is EVERYONE else...all the HATERS....the FAKE news...that have everything wrong!!

https://www.apnews.com/4431ee4931ed...HECK:-Trump-off-on-black-homeownership,-trade

BTW...how come no mention of the latest Pew poll on here? Gilligan used to be such a fan of them. Trump News, Brietbart, dailywire/dailycaller, and Ace of Spades didn't tell you that not a single voter demographic showed increased support for Trump? 26 categories...2 stayed constant (at very low numbers) and the other 24 fell. Huh...wonder why they didn't report that?

http://www.people-press.org/2017/12...probe-including-its-importance-to-the-nation/

Hijinx

Trump may not be doing too well in the polls, but he is way ahead of the Congress.

I never said Trump was a great speaker. He isn't,
But when he speaks I can understand what he is saying and he isn't wimping out .

Rommey

Is the claim the percent of black home ownership among all the black households...

-or-

Is the claim the percent of black home ownership among ALL households?

Rommey

BTW...how come no mention of the latest Pew poll on here?
Just curious, but why would a poll contain the following:
QUESTIONS 4, 6-7, 11-12, 15-17, 21-24, 26, 28-29 HELD FOR FUTURE RELEASE
NO QUESTIONS 5, 8-10, 13-14, 18-20, 25, 27, 30-33
Are they hiding something with questions they will release later (i.e., those questions mitigate some the other responses?)
Why were all this "no questions"? Were they questions that the answers didn't follow the expected narrative?

Link to poll.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Is the claim the percent of black home ownership among all the black households...

-or-

Is the claim the percent of black home ownership among ALL households?

Trump's exact words:

black homeownership just hit the highest level it has ever been in the history of our country.

The "fact check":
The U.S. Census finds that the black homeownership rate peaked during 2004, when 49.7 percent of black households owned homes (the rate for all races that year reached 69.2 percent, also a modern record). The black homeownership rate stayed in similar territory until the recession, when it dropped to the mid-40s.

Note that this coincides with the subpar loans that were being handed out like candy, and then a great number of these folks lost their homes. So I'm not sure you can really count that particular period because if you basically give someone a house to jack your numbers, then take it away from them a couple years later, were they ever really home owners at all?

Rommey

I read the fact check piece and it seems an odd way to present the data. They are presenting the black home ownership rate as a percentage of black households, not of total households. I would think it would be more pertinent to see the black ownership rate as a percentage of total home ownership.

PeoplesElbow

I read the fact check piece and it seems an odd way to present the data. They are presenting the black home ownership rate as a percentage of black households, not of total households. I would think it would be more pertinent to see the black ownership rate as a percentage of total home ownership.

That way is dependent on percentage of households that are black, so as the black population gets smaller as a percentage that percentage would go down.

I think it should be percentage of black households that own a home.

SamSpade

That way is dependent on percentage of households that are black

That is the most logical way to do it. If you're measuring anything, your statistical universe has to be defined.
What the measurement is trying to show is, how many black households own their home? and you can't do that with measurements including everyone.
Worse, the MoE makes it harder to see anything.

When I go to the Census data for the last several years - per quarter - and see that the MoE is 0.9 and the variations in values don't differ by much more than that - it's hard to faithfully see a significant trend. So I can't figure where Trump got his data, but it doesn't square with anything EXCEPT possibly the rate of change, and even that is not significant. Vrai IS right - the spike in homeownership occurred right at the height of the housing debacle.

So on THIS piece of data, yeah, I'd say he got it wrong, although in fairness - he got it from someone else, just as Hillary got the "reset" word from someone else. I wouldn't blame Trump but I would blame the guy who wrote his speech or gave him the numbers.

Interesting subject - I looked also at international data and it listed the CHINESE as having really HUGE ownership rates, which I thought strange - until I remembered that in China, the government owns ALL the property BUT you are able to lease it for 99 years. That's what our facilitator and guide told us in Beijing. Young couples typically have the extended family buy their tiny flat for them when they get married, and they don't usually ever move. So - the story is different when you take all the facts into consideration.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
yeah AP Fact Checking :killingme

they went from a news origination to yet another group 'editorializing the news' before Trump was Elected

SamSpade

yeah AP Fact Checking :killingme

they went from a news origination to yet another group 'editorializing the news' before Trump was Elected

Yes, try AP fact checks Obama and find that most of the links still point to Trump.

I often find myself fact checking the fact checkers, especially the ones that rate the level of falsehood.
They tend to go easy on progressive WHOPPERS and brutal on conservative ones that could easily be slips of the tongue.
So any check on their history will show that GOP vs. *any* Democrat will always show a huge bias on who is wrong and who is right.
While ONE person can be wrong a lot, you just can't have a whole political side be so far off so often without BIAS being at fault.

Baker12

there are 3 houses on Mattapani road, about 500 yards from St James's Deli. Probably about 42 people live here. I wonder if they all are classified as homeowners

BOP

As usual, Trump and facts mix as well as oil and water. An you all say he is qualified for the job, speaks well and is knowledgeable!!! Oh right it is EVERYONE else...all the HATERS....the FAKE news...that have everything wrong!!

https://www.apnews.com/4431ee4931ed...HECK:-Trump-off-on-black-homeownership,-trade

BTW...how come no mention of the latest Pew poll on here? Gilligan used to be such a fan of them. Trump News, Brietbart, dailywire/dailycaller, and Ace of Spades didn't tell you that not a single voter demographic showed increased support for Trump? 26 categories...2 stayed constant (at very low numbers) and the other 24 fell. Huh...wonder why they didn't report that?

http://www.people-press.org/2017/12...probe-including-its-importance-to-the-nation/

You're overdue for an enema.

Clem72

there are 3 houses on Mattapani road, about 500 yards from St James's Deli. Probably about 42 people live here. I wonder if they all are classified as homeowners

Always fun to get stuck on that road behind a school bus.

BOP

Does the music blaring on Friday and Saturday nights sound anything like this?