ISO Recommendations Home Builders

Trev

Hello all,

I tried doing a search, and could only find posts on the subject dating back 5-6 years.

Within the next year I want to get out of my current house and into a home with 1+ acres. Location would be on the St. Mary's side, no further north than Hollywood. Currently, I'm looking at either buying property and having a house built or having a builder build a house on a piece of property they are selling (with the house to be built).

Does anyone have any experience or can provide feedback on Brooks Run Builders? They have a really nice $1M+ model home in Hollywood, and saw (from the street) a house they built on North Snow Hill Manor Rd. that looked nice.

I'm trying to avoid subdivisions and the big name builders like Quality Built. Not saying they do bad work, but looking for a quality builder.

I've also heard Russell Constructing is good, and I've seen other options like St. Mary's, Feicht, Two Point, etc.

Any feedback or recommendations would be much appreciated, thanks.

GopherM

Darwin was right
My home in Singletree was built by Brooks Run and was an excellent home. Jim built several homes in that neighborhood. He has also built several very high end homes in the county. His design and construction are both excellent and he is very easy to work with. If I still lived in the county and was considering having another house built he is the first (if not only builder) I would consider.

officeguy

Are you going to use an architect for the plans or do you want a builder to build his plans with your tweaks ?

The money you spend on writing detailed specs up front, you are going to save at the back end on not getting raped with 'change orders'. Don't allow the builder to just put fixed amounts for things like finishes. Write detailed specs and make them part of the bid.

Trev

My home in Singletree was built by Brooks Run and was an excellent home. Jim built several homes in that neighborhood. He has also built several very high end homes in the county. His design and construction are both excellent and he is very easy to work with. If I still lived in the county and was considering having another house built he is the first (if not only builder) I would consider.

Thanks for the feedback!

Are you going to use an architect for the plans or do you want a builder to build his plans with your tweaks ?

The money you spend on writing detailed specs up front, you are going to save at the back end on not getting raped with 'change orders'. Don't allow the builder to just put fixed amounts for things like finishes. Write detailed specs and make them part of the bid.

Thanks for the suggestion! I would more than likely take a builder's plan and make the tweaks I want. After owning my current house I definitely have a good idea of what I do and don't want for the next one, so I will definitely take your recommendation and have my requirements upfront.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Home Builders Inc.
http://www.homebuildersmd.com/

They built a home on some property that I bought years ago.
I have since sold that house, but it was well built.
I was also able to tweak the house plan that I picked out.
For me, they were great to work with.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
If money is no object, Paragon Builders. Don Cropp of Colony Builders does damned fine work also.

BernieP

Resident PIA
If money is no object, Paragon Builders. Don Cropp of Colony Builders does damned fine work also.

Isn't Paragon Tommy Wettingale? His homes are pretty damn solid. Don does some nice high end stuff.
Also check out John Sotheron. Though John may have retired. He builds a first class, no frills home.