I'll take GET A JOB for $500, Alex

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Get a job.jpg

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Where were the parents to give them advice on the whole "overextending your credit" thing? I don't care if they have to work an extra part time job to pay it back. I worked 2 jobs most of my career just to afford a certain life style. Why are they any different?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Probably a useless 'Wymons Studies' Degree

well enjoy waiting on tables or working the counter at Star Bucks

transporter

Based on the other signs in the background, this picture is roughly 6 years old and is from the Occupy Movement. To put this into perspective, why didn't the OP put a Tea Partier holding up a sign up the deficit or debt that "Obama created"? The concept was just as inane but the deficit/debt are no longer a problem since Republicans won last November...the tax cuts that passed in Congress prove that.

AS for the discussion about college costs, the student and his (?) parents CHOOSE to incur that kind of debt. THEIR choice. SMART parents send their kids to community college for two years, then the state university. The degree says the same thing as a private or IVY league school and the cost is SUBSTANTIALLY less. The cache of an IVY league degree doesn't mean much unless you have the family pedigree to go with it or you are in the top few percentage points of the graduating class.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Based on the other signs in the background, this picture is roughly 6 years old and is from the Occupy Movement. Which is irrelevant
why didn't the OP put a Tea Partier holding up a sign up the deficit or debt that "Obama created"? Because the OP was pointing out the stupid Democrat who worked herself into debt while expecting someone else to bail her out.

You stupid flake.

glhs837

Power with Control
Why are we not discussing why such a degree costs 80K? I would love see the breakdown by percentage. How much of that 80K goes to admin, how much to facilities, etc.

SamSpade

Why are we not discussing why such a degree costs 80K? I would love see the breakdown by percentage. How much of that 80K goes to admin, how much to facilities, etc.

When I was in college, costs of classes were by credit hour - period.
A three credit course in underwater basket weaving cost the same as one in say microbiology or engineering.
Salary for staff was similarly determined (although people like football and basketball coaches made significantly more than any academic).
This I do think is one thing that should seriously change.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

An interesting higher-level view of the problem is here.

And we can take our pick of these to begin the discussion.

glhs837

Power with Control
An interesting higher-level view of the problem is here.

And we can take our pick of these to begin the discussion.

You can condense the first article thusly.

1. "Colleges and universities know that they can raise their prices and that students will still attend – in part because the government is handing them money."

2. "Professional, vocational, or technical training should be viewed as a viable alternative to a four-year degree, not a less worthy undertaking (as it is viewed by many now)."

3. "Expensive athletic programs (supposedly benefiting alumni more than students), trustees’ whims, and professors’ demands are just a few examples of ways that educational institutions have been known to cater to the needs of their customers at the expense of their students."

4. "As college student recruitment and admissions offices fork over hundreds of thousands of dollars each year to obtain enough students to keep their schools operational, that escalating student acquisition cost contributes directly to the tuition costs that wildly continue to increase to levels an average American family will soon find unfathomable."

I note number four with interest, as we've just seen SMCM just drop some fees for first time students, they say to increase availability of education, but I suspect it's one more ploy to increase admissions, a place thay have beenm struggling mightily these last four-five years. And if they are dropping those fees for the students, someone somewhere is paying the bill.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And if they are dropping those fees for the students, someone somewhere is paying the bill.

Not necessarily. It could also be perceived value. As in, "See you getting this $75k year at school for $40k?" Makes it seem like a good deal when it's really not.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

College cost so much because of the Gov loans ..... if Uncle Sugar wasn't giving out so much cash, cost would be more reasonable

You can condense the first article thusly.

1. "Colleges and universities know that they can raise their prices and that students will still attend – in part because the government is handing them money."

:yeahthat:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Join the military. Learn a viable trade. Get paid while you train. 4 years of on the job training before you head into the civilian world. No debt incurred. Bonus GI bill if you ever do decide to go to college.