Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: I'll take GET A JOB for $500, Alex

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    Where they actually showed you how to use a meter and diagnose a problem? Then how to solder/desolder the necessary items?
    I don't remember being taught a meter, but I learned O-Scope, spectrum analyzer, logic analyzer, in labs and a few things I figured out on my own to use in my senior design classes and later in grad school for thesis work. This was in the EE for dummies classes I had while getting my degree in mechanical engineering.

Really a lot of that type of thing is expected to be learned on the fly or on your own. Engineers shouldn't have to be taught how to do everything. I understand what you are getting at though because the ones coming out of school now seem to have a hard time if they can't simply google an answer. I had to tell a guy the other day "you are an engineer, figure it out".
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

With the composite there is always the case of a lazy AE not having the tool to hold the connector on him, so instead of going to get it he jams his flat screwdriver in the keyway to turn the backshell like you can with the aluminum ones and breaks the composite connector (saw one of Dyncorps finest do this btw).

Don't forget..... the original installer using an impact driver to install screws that will need to be removed by people that use regular hand screwdrivers so they strip the heads and then the screws have to be drilled out.....
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    No.. when working as a helper they were payed helper rates.
    When I worked in the elevator union a card carrying helper was paid 70% of what a Journeyman mechanic was to be paid according to the contract the local they were working out of was under at the time.
    Why would someone want to be a lifetime helper if it payed less? Were they prevented from taking that last class or two?

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    With the composite there is always the case of a lazy AE not having the tool to hold the connector on him, so instead of going to get it he jams his flat screwdriver in the keyway to turn the backshell like you can with the aluminum ones and breaks the composite connector (saw one of Dyncorps finest do this btw).

Don't forget..... the original installer using an impact driver to install screws that will need to be removed by people that use regular hand screwdrivers so they strip the heads and then the screws have to be drilled out.....
    Problem is that this is on 100lb component that gets slide vertically up into it's position, with a good chance it moves backward with enough force to break it. Pretty sure the engineers who designed it (who I've met and are good guys) just never knew anything about the part it attaches to as anything other than an interface drawing. It's one thing to know what I described above, it's another to watch three people try and horse that thing into alignment. the test rig they use at the factory just holds it, not the same structure to the rear that the aircraft part it goes into has. But we are going to get it fixed.

Our airframers in P-3s and the ones at RWATS had a cheater for those screws. Pretty sure it was originally fabbed up by a wrench money, every one I saw was locally manufactured. Was basically a rig that had a flat piece that you would attach into a good screw hole and then came up about 3-4 inches, over about 5-6 inches, and then a handle. Allowed you to place an apex tip on a six inch extension anywhere in the six inch travel and by pressing down on the handle, you could but a serious pressure on that stuck screw. Might twist the head off, but more than 90% Gues it was whats commercially called a Brutus Bar. All the ones the Navy had were homemade looking things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXkl9gPuGgw
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    Why would someone want to be a lifetime helper if it payed less? Were they prevented from taking that last class or two?
    Because in most cases they always had a job, if they were working as a temporary mechanic and they you kicked back they would take another helpers job that had less school work done. All bennies but pay are the same, health, dental, vision and retirement..
    Many small locals the helpers going through the process of becoming a Journeyman, never would get the chance to work as a temporary Mechanic because of these men that would never finish the last course in school and sit for there final test.
    Edit.. No one stopped them but themselves. If construction and modernization were going well they worked as a temp Mechanic, if things slowed down they figured working as a helper was better than nothing.
    Most of the men that did this were the guys that were always broke on Monday and absolutely had to have their paycheck at the office on payday by noon so there wife could pick it up..
    Last edited by black dog; 12-12-2017 at 08:52 PM.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Not at all, I give credit where due to good design.

IMHO one of the best automotive designs - Air Cooled VW Engine ...
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

“Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Most of the men that did this were the guys that were always broke on Monday ....

... paid on Friday Broke on Monday

I also heard of shops that paid their guys on Monday instead of Friday ....
    .... because some guys ALWAYS called out on Monday after a weekend of drinking
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

“Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

Members who have read this thread: 76