Plasma For Pay: Broke Millennials Sell Blood Just To Survive

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
There is no doubt, in a period where burdensome student loans and wage stagnation are crushing the hopes of achieving the American dream while living in their parents’ basements, the millennial generation is struggling to survive.

In recent times, we have explained how this generation is selling sex on the internet in exchange for money to pay bills. Across the United States, there could be upwards 2.5 million college students selling sex on a website to cover expenses (see: Millions Of Millennials Could Be Trading Sex For Their Next Debt Payment – Here’s How) or there is a new trend with millennial women, auctioning their virginities to the highest bidder (see: Abu Dhabi Businessman Pays $2.9 Million For 19-Year-Old Model’s Virginity.) If it’s sex, the millennial generation has made it a commodity, using the power of the internet to leverage the sale.

Besides the out of control sex advertisement on creepy websites, struggling millennials are now supplementing their incomes at blood plasma facilities across the United States.

In particular, Cheyenne Johnson, a former Lane Community College student, said: “You just walk in and walk out with money.” Cha-ching. .. Twice a week, she visits Grifols Talecris plasma donation center in Eugene, Oregon, exchanging plasma for cash in excess of $25 to $150 per week. Cheyenne, 23, visits the facility on a regular basis because the job environment in the area is weak.

Plasma For Pay: Broke Millennials Sell Blood Just To Survive

I mean really this is News ?
I was doing this in the 80's for extra cash, when I was in the Military .....

SamSpade

You mean, students at some time in the past *STOPPED* doing this? They did this back in the early 80's in College Park.
I assumed they still do. I read an article in the Diamondback back then with pics and everything.
You give *plasma* and not blood, which means you can give often. I went once but got a little skittish when I read the fine print
- they remove blood, centrifuge it to get the plasma and put the rest BACK.

It's the putting back part that spooked me. Still, I knew a couple homeless winos back then who did it all the time for booze and smokes.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was doing this in the 80's for extra cash, when I was in the Military .....

I was gonna say... I've always known people who did that. Growing up in a college town, it was fairly common for the students to sell blood/plasma for beer money.

I guess I was fortunate, never had to sell myself to live. I had a job before, during and after college. My student loans were paid off within 5 years of leaving college, but I also didn't have those astronomical fees back in the 70s.

officeguy

I guess I was fortunate, never had to sell myself to live. I had a job before, during and after college. My student loans were paid off within 5 years of leaving college, but I also didn't have those astronomical fees back in the 70s.

You probably didn't get a degree in political science with a minor in basketweaving from a liberal arts college either.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I bet they also have the latest version of the IPhone and other assorted, high dollar trappings of capitalism.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

They can cry me a river about how tough it is to be a college student. Like you, I had a job before college, during my last three years of school at a state school (USF Tampa) in the mid 80's for my BA, working full time with overtime, with a wife and a new set of twins. It was hard, tiring, but we managed with my paychecks. Unlike you, I never had one dime of student loans, and I am very proud of that. The old GI Bill, which is what I signed up for in 1972, at $140 per month for part time students, certainly helped, but there is no substitute for living within one's means until you don't have to.

Live within your means, millennials. If that means living in a one bedroom apartment while driving a beater until you pay off your bills, so be it.

Last edited:

jrt_ms1995

I was gonna say... I've always known people who did that. Growing up in a college town, it was fairly common for the students to sell blood/plasma for beer money.

Did it myself, numerous times. It was an easy $20/week (79 - 80 for me), and meant the difference, with change to spare, between a cheap steak and all-you-can-eat salad once a week at the Sizzler and another 29 cent Morton pot pie! Kept it up until one day one of my bags of red cells sprung a leak and they couldn't put it back and I had to take an involuntary 2 month lay-off.