Thread: "One of these days, Alice, BANG, ZOOM, straight to the Moon"

"One of these days, Alice, BANG, ZOOM, straight to the Moon"

SO, in case anyone missed it, President Trump yesterday signed off officially changing NASAs focus from sending Man to Mars, and instead shooting for the moon. Personally, Ive advocated this for years, I see it as a case of baby steps. Lets master this whole setting up shop in a hositle environment a bit closer to home, say a three day trip vs a three month trip. And in a place where the gravity well isnt quite so tough.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.eb1015940115

Name:  Straight to the Moon.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  8.7 KB
    "I aim to misbehave."

Wondering how we accomplish this goal when the very same President has proposed CUTS in the NASA budget?

Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    Wondering how we accomplish this goal when the very same President has proposed CUTS in the NASA budget?
    Probably cheaper to go to the moon than to Mars.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

I wish the president a pleasant journey.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    Probably cheaper to go to the moon than to Mars.

Of course. It's three days each way, not six-eight months. With the accompanying reduction in crew life support and fuel requirements. And far less fuel needed to land and take back off, until you build a railgun to handle both of those, at which point it's free to land and take off.

So, I pondered not putting the Presidents name on this, simply because I knew the baying pack couldn't resist giving chase. I would like to keep this on a technical level, but before we do, if you think President Obama was a friend to the space cause, you are sadly mistaken. In simple terms, his switch to Mas was like a parent telling the kids that we couldn't afford a trip to Six Flags because we we saving up for a trip to Disney. No money to build stuff, just money to study Mars, because studyings cheap. One reason any fan of space should cheer this switch, because politicians are shortsighted animals, and having them agree to a short range achievable goal makes it more likely something actually gets done.

So, who wants to argue why Mars is better for our first shot?
    "I aim to misbehave."

Less climate change, less 'improving relations with the muslim world'. Probably some room in the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    Less climate change, less 'improving relations with the muslim world'. Probably some room in the budget.
    Bingo!
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    Just getting ready to post something similar.
    “So now the tard pile begins.” - Board Mommy

quit spending money to make Muslims feel good about themselves

[I should have scrolled down]
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

“Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

Members who have read this thread: 49