Judges 7 The Dream

seekeroftruth

Judges 7:13 Gideon arrived just as a man was telling a friend his dream. “I had a dream,” he was saying. “A round loaf of barley bread came tumbling into the Midianite camp. It struck the tent with such force that the tent overturned and collapsed.”

14 His friend responded, “This can be nothing other than the sword of Gideon son of Joash, the Israelite. God has given the Midianites and the whole camp into his hands.”

15 When Gideon heard the dream and its interpretation, he bowed down and worshiped. He returned to the camp of Israel and called out, “Get up! The Lord has given the Midianite camp into your hands.” 16 Dividing the three hundred men into three companies, he placed trumpets and empty jars in the hands of all of them, with torches inside.

17 “Watch me,” he told them. “Follow my lead. When I get to the edge of the camp, do exactly as I do. 18 When I and all who are with me blow our trumpets, then from all around the camp blow yours and shout, ‘For the Lord and for Gideon.’”​

Yesterday.... I read that they pared the number of soldiers to 300.... while the enemy had so many soldiers their camels couldn't be counted.... and God gave Gideon a confidant to go with him to spy on the enemy. God said He would encourage Gideon.

This is from Bible.org.

Being curious by nature, I have to wonder what the weather was like on that fateful night. I doubt that there was a clear, star-filled sky with a full moon. I would imagine that it was one of those pitch black nights when there was little or no illumination from the heavens. This would have enabled Gideon and Purah to make their way into the camp of the Midianites, until they came upon two soldiers in conversation. The first tells the other of his troubling dream, a vivid dream of a barley loaf tumbling down into their camp, overturning and crushing a Midianite tent. The second was granted the ability to interpret the dream. He was certain that this could mean nothing other than a smashing Israelite victory over them (the Midianites). They were going to be defeated. Did memories of earlier miraculous Israelite victories strengthen the sense of their impending doom? I suspect so.​

This is from Bibletrack.org.

Okay, Gideon, what's the battle plan? Do what...Gideon! Do you realize that there are thousands upon thousands of enemy soldiers down there? Let's review verse 12, "And the Midianites and the Amalekites and all the children of the east lay along in the valley like grasshoppers for multitude; and their camels were without number, as the sand by the sea side for multitude." BUT GIDEON HEARD A DREAM! That's right; that very night the LORD had sent Gideon over to eavesdrop on the enemy when Gideon overheard a dream that included in the interpretation by his fellow soldier Gideon himself prevailing in battle; it's a battle plan devised from hearing a guy tell scary stories around a camp fire. Emboldened and oozing with confidence after discovering that the enemy troops were authentically frightened at the thought of engaging Israel in battle, Gideon heads back to his own camp, rouses the troops and goes over the strategy. So...here's the battle plan: With 3 platoons of 100 each we're going to scare them with lanterns and trumpets. YOU CALL THAT A PLAN! That's almost as ridiculous as marching around Jericho seven times. If this works, there's no question - it's God!

Note: One hand with a lantern and the other with a horn. That's both hands accounted for. With which hand do they wield their swords? Therein lies the miracle; they won't be needing swords. God will do the work for them.​

I'm so excited.... what in the world are they going to do with a lantern and a horn?

:coffee: