Auto-Start/Auto Stop Feature

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
What is this feature for exactly? The book only tells me the following:

Auto-stop: Apply the brakes until the vehicle stops and keep the brake pedal depressed.

Auto-start: Release the brake pedal.

The indicator light in the button on the center console indicates that the function is active.

I cannot find any other information in the manuals about what this feature is for.

Any ideas?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was riding in a newish BMW recently that had that feature. Supposedly all about reducing emissions while sitting stopped

2017 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Hybrid?

If it's similar to the GMC, the engine actually shuts down when you come to a stop, and re-starts when you press the gas*.

* old school. That pedal isn't actually connected to the carb anymore....

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Hybrid?

If it's similar to the GMC, the engine actually shuts down when you come to a stop, and re-starts when you press the gas*.

* old school. That pedal isn't actually connected to the carb anymore....

No, it takes petrol. :lol:

https://support.volvocars.com/uk/ca...4w20&article=ec2c1d17276d1843c0a801e80016c841
The Start/Stop function is activated automatically when the engine is started with the key. The driver is alerted to the function by means of the symbol for the On/Off button illuminating in the combined instrument panel and the lamp in the On/Off button illuminating.

All of the car's normal systems such as lighting, radio, etc. work as normal even with an engine that has stopped automatically, except that some equipment may have the function temporarily reduced, e.g. the climate control system's fan speed or extremely high volume on the audio system.

Deactivating the Start/Stop function

In certain situations, it may advisable to temporarily switch off the automatic Start/Stop function - this is carried out with a push of this button.

Disengaged function is indicated by the combined instrument panel's Start/Stop symbols and the button's lamp extinguishing.

The Start/Stop function is disengaged until it is reactivated with the button or until the next time the engine is started with the key.

glhs837

Power with Control
Its purpose is to increase mpg, and decrease emmisions. Now, will you see such gains, depends highly on your driving environment and driving style. Around here, not so much unless you participate in the Drive of The Lemmings morning and night coming in or out of base from the north at peak times.

Now, as to how it works, and this is based on the wifes Jeep, so your vehicle might vary a bit, but should be similar. On heres, there are I think 5 or 6 conidtions that must be met before the system even works.

1.Fuel above a certain point
2. Battery and charging system check good, including a "history" of good ebahavior from the battery. When I swapped the battery on hers, it took more than a week to gather that data.
3. If the heat or A/C wants more, they system either wont engage or will turn the engine back on as needed.
4. Brakes must be held down past a certain point, and leeting up restarts the engine (important point, note that)
5. Wheels must be pointed straight ahead
6. Must be in Drive, not park or reverse

Now, it does take some getting use to and change in technique at stops. What I'm in the habit of doing is in really hot or cold temps, turning it off. At stop lights, when the engine kicks off, I let it, until I'm close to getting a green light, based on other lights (left turn goes yellow, I'll get a green soon, etc), then I ease up on the brake until the engine starts. I found that waiting and going right from brakes to gas result in choppiness. Maybe that's my lead foot, but it was annoying. When you enter a parking spot, either dont straighten your wheels or dont dawdle selecting park. Otherwise it will kick in and then when you do select park, the engine restarts, only for you to then turn the vehicle off. another annoyance.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Deactivating the Start/Stop function

In certain situations, it may advisable to temporarily switch off the automatic Start/Stop function - this is carried out with a push of this button.

Disengaged function is indicated by the combined instrument panel's Start/Stop symbols and the button's lamp extinguishing.

The Start/Stop function is disengaged until it is reactivated with the button or until the next time the engine is started with the key.

Its purpose is to increase mpg, and decrease emmisions. Now, will you see such gains, depends highly on your driving environment and driving style. Around here, not so much unless you participate in the Drive of The Lemmings morning and night coming in or out of base from the north at peak times.

Now, as to how it works, and this is based on the wifes Jeep, so your vehicle might vary a bit, but should be similar. On heres, there are I think 5 or 6 conidtions that must be met before the system even works.

1.Fuel above a certain point
2. Battery and charging system check good, including a "history" of good ebahavior from the battery. When I swapped the battery on hers, it took more than a week to gather that data.
3. If the heat or A/C wants more, they system either wont engage or will turn the engine back on as needed.
4. Brakes must be held down past a certain point, and leeting up restarts the engine (important point, note that)
5. Wheels must be pointed straight ahead
6. Must be in Drive, not park or reverse

Now, it does take some getting use to and change in technique at stops. What I'm in the habit of doing is in really hot or cold temps, turning it off. At stop lights, when the engine kicks off, I let it, until I'm close to getting a green light, based on other lights (left turn goes yellow, I'll get a green soon, etc), then I ease up on the brake until the engine starts. I found that waiting and going right from brakes to gas result in choppiness. Maybe that's my lead foot, but it was annoying. When you enter a parking spot, either dont straighten your wheels or dont dawdle selecting park. Otherwise it will kick in and then when you do select park, the engine restarts, only for you to then turn the vehicle off. another annoyance.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input and clarification! :yay:

Chris0nllyn

It's for coming to a stop light or some similar situation. Your car will cut off. When you let off the brake to go again, the engine cuts back on.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The stop/start thing is bothersome to me. It feels like I have a minute lag when stepping on the gas.

I was in the passenger seat of the BMW that did that. First time the car shut itself off and then came back on again, I was really puzzled: "Did I really see what I think I just did?" LOL. The guy driving was used to it though; he never turned the feature off when I was in the car.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I was in the passenger seat of the BMW that did that. First time the car shut itself off and then came back on again, I was really puzzled: "Did I really see what I think I just did?" LOL. The guy driving was used to it though; he never turned the feature off when I was in the car.

I find myself turning it off when in traffic. It's hard to get used to. :lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I find myself turning it off when in traffic. It's hard to get used to. :lol:

And I have to wonder how long the starter will last if its being used so many times.

We were driving that new BMW around a fairly small town and otherwise open roads in western Denmark. So it really wasn't stopping and restarting too awful much.

Last edited:
M brother's GM has this feature. The starter is upgraded and there is an oversized starter battery in the trunk to accommodate the frequent start/stop cycles.