Cop shoots dog, tells owner to decapitate it for rabies test

Chris0nllyn

Joe Goodwin says he got a call Friday to come home after his dog Big Boy bit a neighbor.

Before he got home, Goodwin said, officers came to the neighborhood to investigate the complaint. But he said Big Boy ran at one of the officers, who shot and killed him.

In part of the video, a man who identified himself as investigator James Hollis said, “We’re asking you to remove the dog’s head and you’re refusing, right?”

Hollis told him he had to remove his dog’s head to test it for rabies -- or go to jail. Goodwin says he refused at first -- but obeyed the officer.
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/cr...ot-his-dog-ordered-him-to-behead-it/496766588

:shocking:

GregV814

But he said Big Boy ran at one of the officers,

sure, the officers should have taken a bite for the team...hey whats a few morsels of fingers, an arm or injection of rabies.....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If your dog attacks a policeman, it will be shot. If your dog bites someone and you do not have a shot record for that dog proving it was vaccinated against rabies, the dog will be beheaded at your expense to test it.

A solution to this problem would be to A) not own a vicious dog; B) if you do own a vicious dog, keep its vaccinations up to date; or better yet C) keep your dog secured so it's not running around attacking the neighbors.

Hijinx

He's pro pitbull...

I don't have a problem with them shooting the dog if it attacked them.
But I don't believe it's a legal order for you to behead the dog or go to jail.
There are some people who just could not do that.
For instance suppose they told your wife to behead the dog or go to jail.
Not many wives could stomach that even if they didn't like the dog.

IMO it's an illegal order. They could probably order you to take the dog to a vet , but beheading is a boatload of crap.

black dog

Free America

IMO it's an illegal order. They could probably order you to take the dog to a vet , but beheading is a boatload of crap.

Read post #2

GregV814

based on what I KNOW and not some sillyazz diatribe by someone who normally detests any police action, in Maryland once a bite occurs, the owner must quarantine his dog for 10 days looking for signs of rabies. There is a dog bite report initiated with copies made available and supplied to the local Health Department and Animal Control.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

An untrained person butchering an animal is going to come into contact with fluids. If the animal is found to have rabies then you've just passed it on to that person. I'm thinking that no one really thought the whole scenario through.

black dog

Free America
based on what I KNOW and not some sillyazz diatribe by someone who normally detests any police action, in Maryland once a bite occurs, the owner must quarantine his dog for 10 days looking for signs of rabies. There is a dog bite report initiated with copies made available and supplied to the local Health Department and Animal Control.

Please post Maryland Law that states that

Rommey

Please post Maryland Law that states that
I don't know if this applies to the whole state, but here is what PG County says:
The quarantine procedure for an owned animal with a current rabies vaccination that bites or scratches a person is listed below:
The animal must be quarantined for 10 days.
The animal can be kept at home as long as there is limited human contact and no other animal contact.
The animal can be walked on a leash as long as there is limited human and no other animal contact.
Call the Health Department at 301-583-3750 and ASD at 301-780-7200 if the animal gets sick or dies while under quarantine.
The animal cannot get a rabies vaccination until after the 10-day quarantine.
If your animal is bitten by another animal, call the Health Department for quarantine information.
link

black dog

Free America
For dogs that bite, and have been adequately vaccinated, the state law says that the animal is to be quarantined for a period that is to be determined by the public health officer or the public health veterinarian, I see no definitive time period. See - https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2005/ghg/18-320.html

Thanks, That first sentence is interesting, an apparently healthy dog, cat, or ferret that has been adequately vaccinated against rabies

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Animal Control should pick up the animal and the state should process the animal .... bill / fine the owner as needed

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
This was obviously a case of "Suicide by cop." Looking at the size of "Big Boy" and the cramped size of the dog's fenced-in run, he was obviously depressed and had elected to get a good bite out of life before forcing the deputy to shoot him.