2nd amendment? You don't need no stinking 2nd amendment!

BOP

Police Demand Medical Marijuana Users Hand over Guns Within 30 Days

http://realfarmacy.com/marijuana-gun/

The Honolulu Police Department is sending letters to medical marijuana patients warning them that they have thirty days to “voluntarily” hand over their firearms. The authorities’ effort, which has reportedly been underway since January, is in line with a 2016 ruling from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals that determined medical marijuana patients must forfeit their right to bear arms.

“Your medical marijuana use disqualifies you from ownership of firearms and ammunition,” Susan Ballard, the new chief of police said in the letter dated November 13.

The letter warns recipients that they “have 30 days upon receipt of this letter to voluntarily surrender [their] firearms.”

Hijinx

Pretty neat, huh?

If they get away with that they will make anyone who takes a drink surrender their weapons.
I don't like Marijuana and I am against it's use, but taking away a person's 2nd. amendment right over it is BS.

black dog

Free America
If they get away with that they will make anyone who takes a drink surrender their weapons.
I don't like Marijuana and I am against it's use, but taking away a person's 2nd. amendment right over it is BS.

Alcohol is Federally Legal.. Weed is not.

Question 11e has been on the 4473 for quite a while now.

1.) During the process of purchasing a gun from a dealer, one will fill out ATF Form 4473.
2.) Lying on ATF F 4473 is a federal crime with a 5 year jail term.
3.) Question 11e asks: Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
4.) Breaking Question 11e down, you answer yes if:
a.) You are an unlawful user of marijuana, any depressant, any stimulant, any narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance.
b.) You are addicted to marijuana, any depressant, any stimulant, any narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance.

Hijinx

Alcohol is Federally Legal.. Weed is not.

Question 11e has been on the 4473 for quite a while now.

1.) During the process of purchasing a gun from a dealer, one will fill out ATF Form 4473.
2.) Lying on ATF F 4473 is a federal crime with a 5 year jail term.
3.) Question 11e asks: Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
4.) Breaking Question 11e down, you answer yes if:
a.) You are an unlawful user of marijuana, any depressant, any stimulant, any narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance.
b.) You are addicted to marijuana, any depressant, any stimulant, any narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance.

How many people do you know who would seek permission to buy a weapon and would answer that question honestly?

black dog

Free America
How many people do you know who would seek permission to buy a weapon and would answer that question honestly?

Probably not very many, BUT, with all of the changes in State laws I believe this will become the new normal in many States in the future.
The State issued weed card gets scanned when you purchase, will get merged into other State run data bases. Weeks or months later you will get a letter to turn them in or sell them.
Maryland has been keeping firearm purchasing date since 1968 +- a few months.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Police Demand Medical Marijuana Users Hand over Guns Within 30 Days

http://realfarmacy.com/marijuana-gun/

The Honolulu Police Department is sending letters to medical marijuana patients warning them that they have thirty days to “voluntarily” hand over their firearms. The authorities’ effort, which has reportedly been underway since January, is in line with a 2016 ruling from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals that determined medical marijuana patients must forfeit their right to bear arms.

“Your medical marijuana use disqualifies you from ownership of firearms and ammunition,” Susan Ballard, the new chief of police said in the letter dated November 13.

The letter warns recipients that they “have 30 days upon receipt of this letter to voluntarily surrender [their] firearms.”

This is crap. Honolulu has far more important things to worry about than taking guns away from law abiding citizens.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
This is crap. Honolulu has far more important things to worry about than taking guns away from law abiding citizens.

The predominantly far left anti-2A state bureaucrats and elected officials in states like Hawaii and California miss no opportunity to trample on the Second Amendment. Maryland is also one of those states.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
The ruling did come from the 9th circus of appeals, after all. But I think it does have some merit to it. You either want to keep your legal guns, or your "medical" condition for obtaining a license to smoke weed is really legit. A choice that needs to be made.

I'm assuming this pot is smokeable weed that has THC that gets one high, and not the oral meds that do not contain THC.

I'm very pro 2A, an owner of legally purchased guns locked up in a safe when not in use, and I really don't want people who depend on THC to be running around with them.

A very touchy, and slippery slope, indeed.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
I don't think this has anything to do with legalizing pot. This was a ploy to confiscate guns. If this stands, we will see this happen all over the country.

Chris0nllyn

I don't think this has anything to do with legalizing pot. This was a ploy to confiscate guns. If this stands, we will see this happen all over the country.

It won't happen across the country because Hawaii is the only state where its residents allowed their state to register gun owners and marijuana users. It may happen in some other states that require registration of some guns (Illinois, Massachusetts, and New Jersey), but Hawaii mandates that everyone who uses medical marijuana must register with the state. That registration is also accessible to other agencies outside of confirming the patient.

More proof that our govt. registering things isn't at the the best interest of us, but of the state.

BUT, enough people are pissed about it that Honolulu Police has stopped telling marijuana users to turn in ther guns (but will deny new firearm permits to medical marijuana users) and will be returning guns to at least 2 people.
The Honolulu Police Department will not enforce a controversial policy requiring legal marijuana patients to turn in their guns.

The department issued a notice Tuesday, saying it is consulting with other governmental agencies, as well as reviewing recent court rulings regarding the issue. HPD said it will, however, continue to deny new firearm permits to applicants with medical marijuana cards.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/...-wont-take-guns-from-medical-marijuana-users/

Police Chief Susan Ballard said law enforcement wants to take their time in developing a policy that best serves the people of the community and will be returning firearms to two residents who voluntarily surrendered them, The Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported
http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/08/cannabis-card-carriers-no-longer-forced-to-give-up-guns-in-hawaii/

PsyOps

Pixelated
It won't happen across the country because Hawaii is the only state where its residents allowed their state to register gun owners and marijuana users. It may happen in some other states that require registration of some guns (Illinois, Massachusetts, and New Jersey), but Hawaii mandates that everyone who uses medical marijuana must register with the state. That registration is also accessible to other agencies outside of confirming the patient.

More proof that our govt. registering things isn't at the the best interest of us, but of the state.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me.

States that require firearm registration: California, Connecticut (partial), DC, Hawaii, Maryland (handguns), Michigan (handguns), New Jersey (handguns), New York (handguns), Washington (handguns, partial).

Once these more liberal states realize they have an avenue to confiscate guns, they will implement similar laws. It's coming.

Chris0nllyn

To expand on the idea that registering with the govt. is a bad idea (and related to medical marijuana and guns), Colorado residents are finding out that this registry of patients is being shared with other state agencies, contractors, and police.

Among the many troubling findings of a report from the Office of the State Auditor on the administration of the state medical marijuana regulatory system is that confidential information about medical marijuana patients has and is being shared, possibly unconstitutionally, with other state agencies, private contractors and law-enforcement agencies.
http://www.boulderweekly.com/featur...t-registry-being-shared-with-law-enforcement/

Keep in mind, not only users register. Caregivers who may not be users are also on this list.

In Oregon, it's a little different. The state allows police to have open access to their registry.
Oregon medical marijuana advocates in 2006 successfully pushed to give police round-the-clock access to the state's cardholder registry. Patients with pot figured they wouldn't be arrested if cops could quickly confirm their status with the program.
Six years later, police check the database thousands of times each month. Law enforcement ran more than 20,000 queries on potential patients and grow sites from March through October of this year, Oregon Health Authority data show. For some context: About 55,000 people are Oregon medical marijuana patients.
http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2012/12/medical_marijuana_users_questi.html

Even after a judge told them to stop running CHL applicants through the system.
...the statute does not authorize the use of database information for purposes of helping to determine whether an individual uses, or may use, marijuana.
http://www.publications.ojd.state.or.us/docs/A143383.htm

Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Vermonet are being asked, by the feds, to share their medical marijuana registries.
An arm of the White House’s antidrug office has asked Massachusetts and several other states where medical marijuana is legal to turn over information about registered patients, triggering a debate over privacy rights and whether state officials should cooperate with a federal administration that appears hostile to the drug.

Dale Quigley, deputy coordinator of the National Marijuana Initiative, or NMI, has asked Massachusetts health officials for data on the age, gender, and medical condition of the state’s approximately 40,000 registered medical marijuana patients. Quigley is a former police officer in Colorado with a long history of speaking out against legalization.

The agency that Quigley works for reports directly to the White House, not to Sessions. But advocates worry that the data Quigley is collecting could eventually be used — or misconstrued — by US officials to help build a case for a crackdown. And they also questioned his qualifications and motivations, noting that his expertise is in law enforcement, not research or statistics, and that he has given talks around the country decrying marijuana legalization.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ijuana-data/FIiAccGpbD7az3wfUyoMbK/story.html

So, for those of you who enjoy freedom from govt. registrations, but applaud the President's antidrug efforts; something to think about.

Chris0nllyn

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me.

States that require firearm registration: California, Connecticut (partial), DC, Hawaii, Maryland (handguns), Michigan (handguns), New Jersey (handguns), New York (handguns), Washington (handguns, partial).

Once these more liberal states realize they have an avenue to confiscate guns, they will implement similar laws. It's coming.

It's happening, sure, but there are states that explicitly state that medical marijuana patient info cannot be shared.

This is quite the pickle. The left wants marijuana, the right wants guns. We all want freedom from govt. intrusion and it's a shame the feds are so far behind on this issue.

PsyOps

Pixelated
It's happening, sure, but there are states that explicitly state that medical marijuana patient info cannot be shared.

This is quite the pickle. The left wants marijuana, the right wants guns. We all want freedom from govt. intrusion and it's a shame the feds are so far behind on this issue.

I am on the right and would like pot legalized on the same level as alcohol. I don't think someone smoking pot is any more or less dangerous with a firearm than someone consuming alcohol.

The left wants the government to dictate our lives. They have no desire for their freedom. They believe freedom is when the government determines who gets what freedoms.

Chris0nllyn

I am on the right and would like pot legalized on the same level as alcohol. I don't think someone smoking pot is any more or less dangerous with a firearm than someone consuming alcohol.

The left wants the government to dictate our lives. They have no desire for their freedom. They believe freedom is when the government determines who gets what freedoms.

I think the right and left want freedom from govt. when it suits them. Using the govt. to gain freedoms isn't limited to a single side of the aisle, IMO.

Chris0nllyn

Whew! I'm staying the heck away from that state. Everybody is ill!

Oregon has a population of a little over 4 million.

Looks like medical marijuana patients are about 1.5% of the population. It's those recreational folks you need to watch out for!