Jury pays fine of illegal immigrant felon thief

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
That will teach her not to steal. Has anyone notified ICE?

19 years old, no job, 2 kids and illegally entered the country. I wonder who is paying her bills.

[FONT=&quot]A Virginia jury chipped in to help pay the fine of a maid they convicted of stealing $5,000 worth of jewelry from a house she was cleaning.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sandra Mendez Ortega, a 19-year-old mother, was found guilty of felony grand larceny for swiping three rings from her employer, Lisa Copeland. Rather than sentence her to jail, the jury ordered that she pay a $60 fine.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jury foreman Jeffrey Memmott explained to the [/FONT]Washington Post[FONT=&quot] the jurors felt sympathy for Mendez Ortega, who is pregnant with her second child and unemployed.[/FONT]

Just when you think you have heard it all

transporter

Here is why it is important to read the original story...as usual, the propaganda sites leave out some significant actual facts (not the Kelly Ann "alternative" type of facts). From the WAPO article:

After she was arrested, Mendez Ortega spent eight days in jail until she was released on $1,000 bond. The jury was not told that. The jury also was not told that Mendez Ortega apparently is not in the country legally, as Copeland said she was told by prosecutors, because it was not relevant to whether she stole the rings.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Here is why it is important to read the original story...as usual, the propaganda sites leave out some significant actual facts (not the Kelly Ann "alternative" type of facts). From the WAPO article:

The jury did not need to know if she was legal/illegal. What difference does that make? She committed a crime. Period.

One more thought...it started years ago when calling, and you heard press 1 for English, and 2 for Spanish. That should have never been a thing; ever, and a clue. If you move to the US, learn English, or get out. I guess it is a good thing I took 4 years of Spanish in school. Hablo Espanol. I know the language of the current state of our country. Sheesh! Get a grip US; so to speak.

God bless America! :patriot:

Last edited:

Hijinx

The jury did not need to know if she was legal/illegal. What difference does that make? She committed a crime. Period.

One more thought...it started years ago when calling, and you heard press 1 for English, and 2 for Spanish. That should have never been a thing; ever, and a clue. If you move to the US, learn English, or get out. I guess it is a good thing I took 4 years of Spanish in school. Hablo Espanol. I know the language of the current state of our country. Sheesh! Get a grip US; so to speak.

God bless America! :patriot:

If she made bail for a thousand dollars, she could pay her own phucking fine.
Her attorney is really great at picking juries though.

Suckers

luvmygdaughters

Yep, saw this on the news. That will teach her not to steal again:sarcasm:. She was probably getting assistance from the government, even though she is here illegally. I cant believe people sometimes.

MiddleGround

IF she is in the country illegally and that's a big IF, authorities should be having a conversation with this Lisa Copeland gal as to why she was employing an undocumented immigrant in her home.

I'm sorry but, this seems like a complete Liberal response to me.

Don't focus on the actual CRIMINAL! Lets focus our attention on this other person over here....

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm sorry but, this seems like a complete Liberal response to me.

Don't focus on the actual CRIMINAL! Lets focus our attention on this other person over here....

I'm sorry but your response is missing the point. There are TWO CRIMMINALS involved here. This isn't a liberal thing it's a factual thing. Here, we have an illegal immigrant and we have someone who is employing the illegal immigrant WHICH IS A CRIME. But, hey, it's more fun the bash the illegal immigrant while ignoring the other part of the problem, the people who employ them.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But, hey, it's more fun the bash the illegal immigrant while ignoring the other part of the problem, the people who employ them.

well why don't you fire off a letter to the DA asking Why ?
but If I am not mistaken Fairfax County is soft on illegals and wouldn't care if one was employed [privately or otherwise] to clean houses

http://thegatewaypundit.com/2017/12...d-convicted-grand-larceny-calls-thief-victim/

A 19-year-old illegal alien pregnant with her second child who stole three rings worth $5,000 from a Fairfax County, Virginia couple whose home she cleaned as a maid sent by a cleaning company.

looks like a Maid Service ..

Last edited:

MiddleGround

I'm sorry but your response is missing the point. There are TWO CRIMMINALS involved here. This isn't a liberal thing it's a factual thing. Here, we have an illegal immigrant and we have someone who is employing the illegal immigrant WHICH IS A CRIME. But, hey, it's more fun the bash the illegal immigrant while ignoring the other part of the problem, the people who employ them.

Did you think that possibly the illegal LIED to her employer?

I would be more willing to believe the business owning employer with no criminal record than the illegal alien thief. But... opinions vary

awpitt

Main Streeter
Did you think that possibly the illegal LIED to her employer?

I would be more willing to believe the business owning employer with no criminal record than the illegal alien thief. But... opinions vary

That doesn't matter. It's still the employer's responsibility to verify authorization to work in the U.S. Ever hear of an I-9 form. Very simple.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That doesn't matter. It's still the employer's responsibility to verify authorization to work in the U.S. Ever hear of an I-9 form. Very simple.

:yay:

[I'm thinking MiddleGround is not out of high school yet]

frequentflier

happy to be living
My guess is than none of the sympathetic jury had been ripped off recently...or by an illegal alien.

When we were in CA, we hired a local business to clean our home. The owner was wonderful and did excellent work. Her husband got transferred and she sold or gave her business to a family member. We had few rules but they included not going in the food pantry, refrigerator or to clean countertops (floor only in kitchen). I started noticing food missing (cup a soup, crackers), extra cups and bowls in the diswasher and then I went to open a fresh jar of PB and there was a huge knife mark to the bottom of the container...I knew my husband did not eat PB...and I only knife the top.
They got fired. And I have not had anyone clean my house since. If they were stealing food from me, what else were they helping themselves to?

MiddleGround

So basically no one on here thinks it is necessary to hold the illegal thief accountable for her actions? The entire fault of this lies with the employer?

Got it!

frequentflier

happy to be living
So basically no one on here thinks it is necessary to hold the illegal thief accountable for her actions? The entire fault of this lies with the employer?

Got it!

Nothing in my post made reference to her employer...
I was furious when I read the article in the Washington Post Sunday. She should have absolutely been held accountable. Instead she got a sympathetic jury that paid her fine. Not quite what I would refer to as a jury of *her* peers; as I would assume they were Americans that vote and speak English and probably would not have been on the jury of they were convicted thieves themselves.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Got it!

well if she wasn't here illegally she wouldn't be here to steal :shrug:

hey she was sorry, cried and everything ....

MiddleGround

well if she wasn't here illegally she wouldn't be here to steal :shrug:

hey she was sorry, cried and everything ....

Exactly! I am not saying the employer didn't do anything wrong. I AM saying that it is far and away not as bad as what the illegal thief did.