Mueller defends obtaining "transition e-mails"

Starman

http://thehill.com/policy/national-...eam-defends-obtaining-trump-transition-emails

The Article said:
Special counsel Robert Mueller’s office on Sunday defended its work after a lawyer for President Trump’s transition team accused investigators of improperly obtaining thousands of emails from transition officials.

“When we have obtained emails in the course of our ongoing criminal investigation, we have secured either the account owner’s consent or appropriate criminal process,” Peter Carr, a spokesman for the special counsel’s office, said in a statement to The Hill.

Axios reported Saturday that Mueller’s team is now in possession of tens of thousands of emails from the Trump transition team, including messages from Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner, as well as other members of the transition’s political leadership and foreign policy team.
Mueller's prosecutors reportedly used the emails to question witnesses, and are also looking to the messages to confirm information and follow new leads.

The original story is at Axios, and here's that link: https://www.axios.com/scoop-mueller...ds-of-trump-transition-emails-2517994590.html

If it turns out that there was something wrong with obtaining these e-mails, then the problem is with the GSA turning them over, not with Mueller requesting them.

But it doesn't seem to me if you turn over these data to a .gov that you can have any reasonable expectation of privacy and therefore invoke the 4th amendment, despite the assertion that these are TFA "private property".

PsyOps

Pixelated
If it turns out that there was something wrong with obtaining these e-mails, then the problem is with the GSA turning them over, not with Mueller requesting them.

But it doesn't seem to me if you turn over these data to a .gov that you can have any reasonable expectation of privacy and therefore invoke the 4th amendment, despite the assertion that these are TFA "private property".

Mueller doesn't have to request anything. All he has to do is submit a warrant for the info and he would get it.

There is so much corruption inside this investigation that I am not able to believe anything they are doing is in the best interest of the law or this country.

Starman

Supposedly Mueller obtained those emails illegally. I thought that's what we were talking about?

Ah. I see the source of your confusion. It wasn’t done illegally. The FBI sent a letter to the GSA requesting (not demanding) these data and the GSA supplied them.

Where’s the illegality come into this?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ah. I see the source of your confusion. It wasn’t done illegally. The FBI sent a letter to the GSA requesting (not demanding) these data and the GSA supplied them.

Where’s the illegality come into this?

I have no idea, I'm just repeating what's been on the news and what's in the story you linked.

Special counsel Robert Mueller’s office on Sunday defended its work after a lawyer for President Trump’s transition team accused investigators of improperly obtaining thousands of emails from transition officials.

You seem to want to take Mueller's word for it that he didn't do anything wrong, and I asked you what you expect him to do instead of denying it.

Sapidus

This is just another attempt by Trump to try to discredit the investigation in the public eye.

He knows they are getting closer and is panicking. It’s positively Nixonian

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
This is just another attempt by Trump to try to discredit the investigation in the public eye.

He knows they are getting closer and is panicking. It’s positively Nixonian

Muller is doing a fine JOB discrediting himself and his investigation

and what do you know about Trump, are you working in the White House ?
are you there short bus ?

Last edited:

Sapidus

Muller is doing a fine JOB discrediting himself and his investigation
and what do you about Trump, are you working in the White House ?
are you there short bus ?

How so?

If you believe the statements Trump and Fox News have made regarding the investigation you might believe that

However if you look at the object facts he has been conducting himself properly.

He fired the person who made disparaging remarks about Trump

He followed the proper channels to get the transition emails.

What’s the problem ?

Where was your concern for the source of the DNC emails ?

Stop listening to lies.

Midnightrider

Supposedly Mueller obtained those emails illegally. I thought that's what we were talking about?

I have no idea, I'm just repeating what's been on the news and what's in the story you linked.

You seem to want to take Mueller's word for it that he didn't do anything wrong, and I asked you what you expect him to do instead of denying it.

no, you are just repeating what Trump's lawyer put out there as a diversion.

Anyone who uses a .gov email(or any variation) knows that what they are sending is not private. The government owns the data. that's all there is to it.

was the GSA Authorized to release the Emails ?

yes they are

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Indeed, there are a host of special rules reaffirming the special status of transition teams and their work product. While the GSA is tasked with supplying space and equipment for transition officials, the National Archives has expressly maintained that the “materials that [presidential transition team] members create or receive are not federal or presidential records, but are considered private materials.” For this reason, under agreements with transition teams, the GSA has agreed to delete “all data on [computing] devices” used by transition officials and staff.

When Mueller’s people found out that the transition records were not yet deleted, they demanded their surrender despite the fact that Trump officials claimed that the material held privileged information that belonged to the transition team and is subject to protection from discovery. The transition lawyers insist that Richard Beckler, general counsel for the GSA, reportedly agreed with transition officials that this information belonged to the transition team and that GSA had no right to access or control the records, but GSA denies the comment. The Trump lawyers argue that, when Beckler was hospitalized, Mueller’s people moved on the seizure and acquired the thousands of messages.

Things that make you go "hmmm".

http://forums.somd.com/threads/325821-Mueller-defends-obtaining-quot-transition-e-mails-quot?p=5832647#post5832647

Sapidus

Don’t you mean things that make you go “oh that makes sense”. Material hosted or sent from government sources are subject to government regulation.

“While there’s nothing yet to indicate whether there was anything explosive in those emails, the administration is clearly spooked. Claims of illegal behavior by Mueller might be used as a pretext for the Trump administration to attempt to fire him, the New York Times reported, though the White House publicly denies that is under consideration. Either way, this is yet another reminder that if you’re under federal investigation, you should probably assume they can get anything you wrote through a .gov email pretty easily.“

http://gizmo.do/5xF4AVg

Starman

You’ll want to actually read the letter. It wasn’t a demand; it was a request.

Furthermore, the transition team’s agreement with the GSA specifically states that these emails are not private, they can be monitored, and they will comply/work with law enforcement. No warrants or subpoenas are necessary. This is all pretty standard stuff.

Sapidus

You’ll want to actually read the letter. It wasn’t a demand; it was a request.

Furthermore, the transition team’s agreement with the GSA specifically states that these emails are not private, they can be monitored, and they will comply/work with law enforcement. No warrants or subpoenas are necessary. This is all pretty standard stuff.

Remember when these hypocrites asked how the DNC emails and Hilary’s emails were obtained ?

Yeah me neither