Why is "Merry Christmas" offensive?

steppinthrax

I'm non-religious, I hear people say Merry Christmas to me, I say Merry Christmas back. Why would other atheists/non-religious people be offensive to it. I don't get it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm non-religious, I hear people say Merry Christmas to me, I say Merry Christmas back. Why would other atheists/non-religious people be offensive to it. I don't get it.

I don't get it either. I'm non-religious as well, but even if someone wished me Happy Hanukkah or Merry Kwanzaa or whatever, I'd take it in the vein it was intended, and say 'thank you, you too'. I certainly don't celebrate Easter, but don't feel compelled to get all huffy when someone wishes me happy Easter.

Hannibal

What's not to get? People are offended by everything.

You say "Merry Christmas" and they don't celebrate Christmas (and for some reason get offended) ...... yet they somehow fail to realize that YOU don't give a flying sh!t about THEY do or don't celebrate.

This is what baffles me. I say "Merry Christmas" because I want to say "Merry Christmas." This is how I choose to extend my warm wishes. You are free to accept them or not. I don't care. And I certainly don't care that you don't celebrate Christmas and choose to celebrate some other form of mid-December tradition. That is your choice and your right. And should you wish me Happy Hanukah or Merry Kwanza or a Happy Holiday, I will appreciate the kind gesture and the thought. It all comes from the same place.

People are seriously learning how to F&CK up the holidays with their BS.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'm with V on this, maybe because I self identify as a Christian.
I think it's a sickness that has enveloped the nation, we combine the "I'm offended" with a lawsuit and you get 15 minutes of fame.
If I am offended by something someone says, I would quietly ask them to stop. Which means (a) it would be something repeated and (b) obviously not meant as a greeting of goodwill.

lovinmaryland

We were just having this discussion the other day. It wouldn't offend me in the slightest if someone wished me a Happy Kwanza or Hanukkah...I'd appreciate the gesture feel nice that they were wishing me well...I don't understand why people get so offended and in an uproar over having others say Merry Christmas to them :shrug:

I think this guy hit the nail on the head. I'm not religious and neither are my bro and sis. I take it as a sign of sincere greetings at this one time of year when strangers or mere acquaintances go out of their way to be nice to each other. My bro and sis on the other hand take it as somebody trying to force recognition of their religion upon them and are real quick to verbally shut them down with a "I'm an atheist" as if that is the necessary garlic to the vampire.

"It is so easy to be offended, so easy to feel hostility and suspicion. Victimhood is attractive because it gives people permission to be judgmental without consequence and feel superior in doing so. It creates a sense of being special, enlightened, and above it all. But this merely traps people in a cycle of bitterness and loneliness as they fight the urge to simply enjoy the holiday season with everyone else. Ironically, the fact that they receive the same gift as everyone else demonstrates their inclusion in the group rather than highlighting their difference."

http://thefederalist.com/2017/12/18/turned-coworker-hr-gave-christmas-card-changed-heart/

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Conversely, when someone wishes me "happy holidays" I don't get all bent out of shape about that, either, and insist it's CHRISTMAS!!!! :tantrum:

Conversely, when someone wishes me "happy holidays" I don't get all bent out of shape about that, either, and insist it's CHRISTMAS!!!! :tantrum:
Yes! Just because I chose to mail out cards that say "Happy Holidays" or "Ho Ho Ho" doesn't mean you must take it as discrediting your beliefs or that you are loose and whorish! :clap:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Yes! Just because I chose to mail out cards that say "Happy Holidays" or "Ho Ho Ho" doesn't mean you must take it as discrediting your beliefs or that you are loose and whorish! :clap:

I wrapped my MIL's Christmas present in wrapping paper that said Ho Ho Ho and she got mad at me. :ohwell:

I wrapped my MIL's Christmas present in wrapping paper that said Ho Ho Ho and she got mad at me. :ohwell:
You can have fun with this... this year you should wrap up your FIL's present with paper stating 'Nice" and your MIL with paper stating "Naughty" I got mine from Hallmark and did the same for my brother (naughty) and SIL (nice)! :clap:

1stGenSMIB

My MIL sent us presents last year with wrapping paper with an anchor on it. She wasted a lot of paper to get the anchor front & center on each gift. :howdy:

Chris0nllyn

Simple answer: The internet.

I've never, ever, had anyone say anything about me wishing them a merry Christmas. But I guarantee you can find a blog post or opinion piece somewhere no one really agrees with about how it's some uber-offensive saying.

Grumpy

Simple answer: The internet.

I've never, ever, had anyone say anything about me wishing them a merry Christmas. But I guarantee you can find a blog post or opinion piece somewhere no one really agrees with about how it's some uber-offensive saying.

Well, I can go back to the early 70s where I got read the riot act by a jewish woman. This lady was next door neighbor to a girl's house where a group of us always hung out. I had known the lady for a while, she was always very friendly and nice with us teens. Well, we were hanging out a couple days before Xmas and she was there, I wished her a Merry Xmas and she went crazy about Christmas not being her holiday and how dare I wish her a merry xmas..Needless to say, I steered clear of her after that.

Chris0nllyn

Well, I can go back to the early 70s where I got read the riot act by a jewish woman. This lady was next door neighbor to a girl's house where a group of us always hung out. I had known the lady for a while, she was always very friendly and nice with us teens. Well, we were hanging out a couple days before Xmas and she was there, I wished her a Merry Xmas and she went crazy about Christmas not being her holiday and how dare I wish her a merry xmas..Needless to say, I steered clear of her after that.

She probably gave out apples on Halloween too. :nono:

But seriously, I'm certainly not saying that prior to the interwebz these sorts of people didn't exist, just that thanks to the internet, people can feel like everyone gives two ####s.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Because they're bitter and miserable people and want to make everyone else miserable with them. They can't stand to see people actually having joy for something; something they don't understand.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I've decided to be ornery. I'm gong to be offended by people who are offended. Quit your biatching mother fluffers