Half of the arrests are for disrupton of school activities! Surprised?

3CATSAILOR

Half of these kids were arrested for disruption of school activities. I wonder if a voucher program where you can choose a school, such as a "private" school would be better? Private schools are not forced to accept the thugs that the Board of Education claims they are forced to accept. In addition, if anyone accepted in a private school caused a problem, they could easily be removed since it is a private school. Therefore, in theory the public schools could end up with mainly thugs in the schools. The current State laws would then backfire on them. With less students in the public schools, you would need less teachers. I suspect quite a few of the teachers are sick and tired of the crap that goes on in the schools. You could easily see many of them going to private schools to teach. You then could ask, would the money for public education dry up? No wonder why the Dems are against private schools. They prefer the status quo of out of control schools with children that continue to get hurt. Its all about their Unions and big money. SAFE schools is a mere second or perhaps a distant third. If the current quagmire in our public schools continues as is, I wonder if a child could get killed by one of the thugs that the State forces to stay in school with the kids that WANT an education? I don't think it is a matter of "if", but "when". No doubt, this would be horrific. Talk is cheap. Action speaks louder than words. The only action I have seen is the Board of Education refusing to tell the public what disciplinary action would be taken against the thugs that hurt the kids. Why wouldn't they tell the public? The public isn't asking for names. The action taken against kids is not confidential when the name of the child is not mentioned. They could say the "student" involved in the assault at Esperanza was suspended for ten days. The student at Leonardtown was expelled if either of these applied. I suspect neither does. They won't tell you. Why? Is it because they know their current disciplinary system is useless? This simply is the same problem that has been going on for 30 years or more.

LEONARDTOWN, Md. (December 23, 2017)—The St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office released the following juvenile arrest reports. By law, names of juveniles are not released to the public.

10/10/2017: Two juvenile females, age 15, from Lexington Park, were arrested for Assault 2nd Degree by DFC. Gaskill# 274.

10/11/2017: Juvenile male, age 15, from Leonardtown, was arrested for Assault 2nd Degree by Cpl. Maloy# 137.

11/03/2017: Juvenile male, age 13, from Lexington Park, was arrested for Theft by Cpl. Worrey# 152.

11/03/2017: Juvenile male, age 16, from Mechanicsville, was arrested for Assault 2nd Degree and Disruption of School Activities by Cpl. Holton# 73

11/03/2017: Two juvenile males, age 17, from Mechanicsville, were arrested for Assault 2nd Degree and Disruption of School Activities by Cpl. Holton# 73.

11/07/2017: Juvenile male, age 15, from Mechanicsville, was arrested for Assault 2nd Degree and Disruption of School Activities and Affray by Cpl. Holton# 73.

11/07/2017: Juvenile male, age 15, from Mechanicsville, was arrested for Assault 2nd Degree and Disruption of School Activities by Cpl. Holton# 73.

11/07/2017: Juvenile male, age 17, from Mechanicsville, was arrested for Assault 2nd Degree and Disruption of School Activities by Cpl. Holton# 73.

11/08/2017: Juvenile male, age 16, from Great Mills, was arrested for Disruption of School Activities by Cpl. Delozier# 160.

11/09/2017: Juvenile male, age 15, from Hollywood, was arrested for Disturbing School Activities by Cpl. Delozier# 160.

11/10/2017: Juvenile male, age 13, from Lexington Park, was arrested for Assault 2nd Degree by Cpl. Hartzell# 97.

11/11/2017: Juvenile male, age 16, from Mechanicsville, was arrested for Assault 2nd Degree by Cpl. Kerby# 242.

11/13/2017: Juvenile male, age 11, from Lexington Park, was arrested for Assault 2nd Degree by Cpl. Hartzell# 97.

11/13/2017: Juvenile male, age 17, from Great Mills, was arrested for Dangerous Weapon on School Property and Dangerous Weapon Conceal by DFC. Gaskill# 274.

11/14/2017: Juvenile female age 17, from Lexington Park, was arrested for Assault and Disruption of School Activities by DFC. Gaskill# 274.

11/14/2017: Juvenile male, age 13, from Helen, was arrested for Assault 2nd Degree by Cpl. Maloy# 137.

11/15/2017: Juvenile male, age 17, from Leonardtown, was arrested for Burglary 1st Degree and Theft by Cpl. Kerby# 242.

11/15/2017: Two juvenile females, age 13, from California, were arrested for Assault 2nd Degree and Disruption of School Activities by Cpl. Hartzell# 97

11/16/2017: Juvenile male, age 12, from Lexington Park, was arrested for Assault 2nd Degree by DFC. Schultz# 258.

11/20/2017: Juvenile male, age 15, from Hollywood, was arrested for Assault 2nd Degree and Disruption of School Activities by Dep. Bowie# 317.

11/27/2017: Juvenile male, age 17, from Great Mills, was arrested for Displaying Obscene Material to Minor by Det. Teague# 249

12/03/2017: Juvenile female, age 16, from Leonardtown, was arrested for Theft by Dep. Bare# 307.

For the current list of crime solvers cases in southern Maryland, see so.md/mostwanted

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now, think about the impact these thugs and thugettes have on kids who are trying to actually get an education. They need to throw these punks out and keep them out. It's not fair to everyone else that they have to deal with this crap at school.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Now, think about the impact these thugs and thugettes have on kids who are trying to actually get an education. They need to throw these punks out and keep them out. It's not fair to everyone else that they have to deal with this crap at school.
What they; and I mean they, the police, need to do, is lock these kids up for 24 hours; even if it's a Friday or Saturday night. Keep then separate from the adult offenders, but in gen. pop. just for kids for 24 to 48 hours, to show them what happens. If they screw up and the law is involved, they don't get a weekend off. If it has no effect after 24 to 48 hours, talk to the parents/guardians about a "longer stay."
During this talk with them, it could also be determined if it would do any good. LEO's take psychology courses or classes, don't they?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
What they; and I mean they, the police, need to do, is lock these kids up for 24 hours; even if it's a Friday or Saturday night. Keep then separate from the adult offenders, but in gen. pop. just for kids for 24 to 48 hours, to show them what happens. If they screw up and the law is involved, they don't get a weekend off. If it has no effect after 24 to 48 hours, talk to the parents/guardians about a "longer stay."
During this talk with them, it could also be determined if it would do any good. LEO's take psychology courses or classes, don't they?

Depending on the school system, and I'll bet in both Charles and St. Mary's this is true, many of the kids are already frequent fliers in the juvenile justice system.

I do have to say that this is the first time that I've ever seen the idea put forward of kicking the good kids out of school and placing them in an alternative setting rather than the bad kids.

baxter

The reason the "kids" do it is because the adults that are arrested are not held accountable either. Same old asshats getting arrested in our communities, its the revolving door of justice. LOCK THEM THE HELL UP

BernieP

Resident PIA
The reason the "kids" do it is because the adults that are arrested are not held accountable either. Same old asshats getting arrested in our communities, its the revolving door of justice. LOCK THEM THE HELL UP
What makes you think those that get arrested aren't held accountable? You need to sit in District and Circuit Court sometime. It was the typical sentence in District court to give the maximum sentence, with all but 18 months suspended.
After some period less than 18 months they are release on probation. I have watched guys opt for the full sentence and get sent up the road to prison rather than do the shorter stay in the county jail - just so they didn't get stuck with a couple years of probation. Why? Because they know, LE knows who's out on probation - benefit of a smaller population. They also know they will be watched for the smallest infraction which could send them back to jail.
Probation costs them a monthly fee, plus drug testing fees. Granted most of those in this situation are drug users, not dealers and for the most part it's weed they were getting busted for. Weed has an odor you can detect from a fair distance, yet these potheads continued to deny they were smoking.

black dog

Free America

When my son attended Lettie Dent they took the boys on a class trip to Frank Tippett Rd to Boys Town for the day. He decided then he had no desire to attend " Juvie".

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That "Disrupting School Activities" charge is a convenient catch-all that is used for just about every kind of incident now. It's very vaguely and loosely defined law that was originally crafted - not that many years ago - just to create something they could use to charge the kids that were calling in bogus bomb and similar threats. Now they use it for anything and everything, with it often being the only charge left standing out of several once the ute has proceeded through the system to a trial or a hearing.

They even use it for infractions that occur on the buses now, arguing that bus transportation to and fro is a "school activity" even though it is not on school grounds nor are the busses school or county property.

And That....is why you see so many charges for disruption.

Last edited:

Clem72

They even use it for infractions that occur on the buses now, arguing that bus transportation to and fro is a "school activity" even though it is not on school grounds nor are the busses school or county property.

We used to have BB gun fights pretty regularly on the bus when I was young. That would probably get you arrested for attempted murder now.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Some busses are owned by the contractors; however, they still fall under the jurisdiction of the school system which responsible for student safety from the time they set foot on that bus, in the morning, all the way to the time they step off of that bus in the evening.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Some busses are owned by the contractors; however, they still fall under the jurisdiction of the school system which responsible for student safety from the time they set foot on that bus, in the morning, all the way to the time they step off of that bus in the evening.

You missed my point....

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
That "Disrupting School Activities" charge is a convenient catch-all that is used for just about every kind of incident now. It's very vaguely and loosely defined law that was originally crafted - not that many years ago - just to create something they could use to charge the kids that were calling in bogus bomb and similar threats. Now they use it for anything and everything, with it often being the only charge left standing out of several once the ute has proceeded through the system to a trial or a hearing.

And That....is why you see so many charges for disruption.

The bus companies are considered agents of the school system and any school activities taking place, like taking kids to and from school, part of the school day. That's how you get the "disrupting school activities" charge.

It used to be the bus stops were considered "being at school" and any negative behavior there was dealt with by the school system. That became such a time consuming job to handle that the stops were excluded from the "school activity" umbrella.

As an aside, handling any issue on a bus, especially fights, is a nightmare. You're dealing with constrained spaces and kids who, for whatever reason, just won't get the #### out of the way. Not to mention well meaning staff members who want to help but just won't get the #### out of the way. Plus, there are about a hundred ways to get hurt on a bus breaking up a fight.

I'm glad I'm retired and don't have to do that any longer.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That's how you get the "disrupting school activities" charge.

My point, relative directly to the OP, was....the disrupting activities law was "invented" because they needed something to use as a basis for charging kids that pulled fire alarms and called in bomb threats. But over time...due to vague and broad nature of that particular law, it's come to be used as a "catch all" charge for darned near everything, on and off school grounds. Hence, why the OP's observation that the charge appears in so many of those listed. ;-)

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
My point, relative directly to the OP, was....the disrupting activities law was "invented" because they needed something to use as a basis for charging kids that pulled fire alarms and called in bomb threats. But over time...due to vague and broad nature of that particular law, it's come to be used as a "catch all" charge for darned near everything, on and off school grounds. Hence, why the OP's observation that the charge appears in so many of those listed. ;-)

Yeah.

One thing that never ceases to entertain me here is how people bitch about things all the time. In this case, bitch about people not being arrested for whatever crime and then come back a few days later and bitch that they are arrested.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yeah.

One thing that never ceases to entertain me here is how people bitch about things all the time. In this case, bitch about people not being arrested for whatever crime and then come back a few days later and bitch that they are arrested.

The disruption law has proven to be a handy tool for school admin, judges and juvenile services. There is little to no defense against it when brought; practically any bad act or behavior can be construed as disruptive of school activities.