Driver Needed

mAlice

professional daydreamer
We find ourselves in a pickle. We have been trying to get my MIL to move in with us for years. She has been more than a little reluctant to give up her independence. However, she has not been taking care of herself, and can't seem to stay out of the hospital. We told her there is no way we can run down to Miami every time she falls and lands in the hospital. So, she has finally agreed to live with us. She bought a new car just a few weeks ago, when she was feeling better. As she has just gotten out of the hospital, again, she will not have the strength to make the drive, so we'll need someone to drive her car up for us. I know there are companies that do this, but I have no idea where to look, or what to expect.

Any insight or links would be greatly appreciated.

glhs837

Power with Control
We find ourselves in a pickle. We have been trying to get my MIL to move in with us for years. She has been more than a little reluctant to give up her independence. However, she has not been taking care of herself, and can't seem to stay out of the hospital. We told her there is no way we can run down to Miami every time she falls and lands in the hospital. So, she has finally agreed to live with us. She bought a new car just a few weeks ago, when she was feeling better. As she has just gotten out of the hospital, again, she will not have the strength to make the drive, so we'll need someone to drive her car up for us. I know there are companies that do this, but I have no idea where to look, or what to expect.

Any insight or links would be greatly appreciated.

So you are looking for someone to drive the car solo, or to drive it with her as a passenger?

black dog

Free America
I've used the auto train, and I don't remember any stops for loading/unloading vehicles between Lorton and Sanford.

Yep,,, Trains generally don't do curb service... It was just a suggestion...
You yourself could always Google Companys that transport cars...
Good Luck...

mAlice

professional daydreamer
So you are looking for someone to drive the car solo, or to drive it with her as a passenger?

Well, since I didn't know how it worked, I was thinking solo. However, I did a search and stumbled across a site that wanted a little info and, bam! I got quotes coming in my email from all kinds of companies. They all seem to do "door to door", load onto a semi truck, from $395 (lowest quote so far) to $495. So, we should be able to get her car up here for under $500. Now I have to move on to how we're going to get her stuff packed up and loaded. Of course, I have no idea where we're going to put it once it arrives. Guh.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Well, since I didn't know how it worked, I was thinking solo. However, I did a search and stumbled across a site that wanted a little info and, bam! I got quotes coming in my email from all kinds of companies. They all seem to do "door to door", load onto a semi truck, from $395 (lowest quote so far) to $495. So, we should be able to get her car up here for under $500. Now I have to move on to how we're going to get her stuff packed up and loaded. Of course, I have no idea where we're going to put it once it arrives. Guh.

Sister had her truck transported from Montana via Portable Parking Lot! Not sure how much she paid.

You or hubby have a truck? Pull a trailer? You can rent a 2-wheel tow dolly for about $300 and just tow it up.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
You or hubby have a truck? Pull a trailer? You can rent a 2-wheel tow dolly for about $300 and just tow it up.

Hubby will be carrying her worldly goods up in the trailer. He has an enclosed trailer and a flat bed, but he can only drive one vehicle. I'm out of the loop for several reasons. Otherwise, I'd drive it up myself.

If your MIL can handle the drive it will probably be cheaper to fly down there and drive her car up. One way flights are fairly cheap depending on where she lives. Vehicle transport is about $400+.

officeguy

There are shipping companies that will move the car for you at a price much lower than any combination of flight, paid driver and fuel/tolls. They pick it up at MILs house and drop it in your driveway.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
There are shipping companies that will move the car for you at a price much lower than any combination of flight, paid driver and fuel/tolls. They pick it up at MILs house and drop it in your driveway.

Yes, I know. They've been blowing up my phone ever since I filled out the questionnaire.