Cracklingtown Road

glhs837

Power with Control
So, went to the Public Policy night at the auto show with a guy from work who had a hookup. He lives near that road and I got wondering about the name. Usually, names that have a story, does anyone know it?

buddscreek

can't help with the name, but was coon hunting on a farm there around 1978-79. we saw a light coming at us in the woods, didn't think much of it. an elderly lady walking a dog passed us and didn't speak or look at us. she just walked out of sight. we looked at each other and replied that was strange.
our dogs came back to us after she passed and refused to hunt. they wouldn't leave our feet. never hunted their again.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I was going fishing with my nephew years ago. We drove through Susquehanna state park. It was around 5am and pitch black. We round a corner and there was a very short man walking along the side of the road with no light. We were more or less in the middle of the woods with no homes around. We both had a moment where we had to grasp that we just passed by someone in the middle of nowhere. We refer to that person as the troll.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
So, went to the Public Policy night at the auto show with a guy from work who had a hookup. He lives near that road and I got wondering about the name. Usually, names that have a story, does anyone know it?

I am sure it does but can't say I've ever heard the reason behind the name. I do remember it was mentioned in the telling of John Wilkes Booth's escape route after Lincoln's assassination.

The pair head east of Zekiah Swamp, but get lost in the dark. This won’t be the last time these two will lose their way. Eventually, they find the home of Oswell Swann’s, a half-African American, half Piscataway Indian tobacco farmer at today’s corner of Cracklingtown Road and Burnt Store Road near Hughesville, MD. Booth offers to pay Swann $2 to lead them to William Burtle, a Confederate agent, who lives just west of Swann. Swann also provides them with foodstuffs for another $5, like milk, bread, and whisky.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-manhunt-for-john-wilkes-booth

OldHillcrestGuy

I once heard a story about how that road got named, I know a couple of people who live on that road, I'll be with one tomorrow, I will ask him if he knows. My other connection who lives on that road grew up in Hughesville and she is as old as OHG. She also knows a lot of the history of the town of Huggiesville.

DannyMotorcycle

can't help with the name, but was coon hunting on a farm there around 1978-79. we saw a light coming at us in the woods, didn't think much of it. an elderly lady walking a dog passed us and didn't speak or look at us. she just walked out of sight. we looked at each other and replied that was strange.
our dogs came back to us after she passed and refused to hunt. they wouldn't leave our feet. never hunted their again.

passed you how closely?

acommondisaster

I am sure it does but can't say I've ever heard the reason behind the name. I do remember it was mentioned in the telling of John Wilkes Booth's escape route after Lincoln's assassination.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-manhunt-for-john-wilkes-booth

Ever since I moved here, I've wondered about the story behind the name Burnt Store. Okay, I get it, there was a store that burnt, but details, please? I've never lived anywhere with so much history, and so many people with families that go back so far - probably one of the things I like best about southern Maryland.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Ever since I moved here, I've wondered about the story behind the name Burnt Store. Okay, I get it, there was a store that burnt, but details, please? I've never lived anywhere with so much history, and so many people with families that go back so far - probably one of the things I like best about southern Maryland.

I am a history maniac. It is really cool that SoMD had so much to do with the beginning of America. So sad we had to leave Calvert to move to Montgomery.

Life is change, and all that. But, then, again, I left NOLA kicking and screaming to move to SoMD. I can’t win for losing. :lol:

Last edited: