Looking for Advice - GPS

Investigating a standalone GPS for my Slingshot. I've done some preliminary research, Garmin and TomTom are the front runners for quality.

Need something with a 6-8" screen and bluetooth. Not looking to spend a fortune. Looking for actual owner's input on things like ease of use, reliability, ability to see in bright light, etc...

I could get a whole new head unit to replace the Slingshot factory radio unit, but from what I've been reading, they are expensive and not always 100% compatible. Different wiring harness, doesn't work with the backup camera... So, just looking for a standalone unit to mount over the dashboard.

So if you have a unit like this and can offer helpful comments I'd appreciate it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I used a Garmin Nuvi 465 for yrs ... since getting a Smart Phone, I still use it for a digital speedometer

however I navigate everywhere with WAZE on my Android .. before that on my iPhone.

:shrug:

maybe a cheap tablet and tether it to your Smart Phone for data ?

Clem72

If you need the larger screen, tablet isn't a bad idea. You can pick up a used or refurbished 7" Fire tablet from Amazon for $25 or less.

If you need the larger screen, tablet isn't a bad idea. You can pick up a used or refurbished 7" Fire tablet from Amazon for $25 or less.

Thought of that. Requires another cell service bill for occasional use. WiFi doesn't cut it on the road.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
untitled.jpg

I got nothing:lmao:

remember the olds days when this is what we used, christ i'm tied to waze anymore.... i do use the car GPS also, so i do understand....

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I have StraightTalk Unlimited. TOS prohibits tethering.

:yay:

hmm fair enough, never knew that and tethered with my One Plus my phone,

Seems kinda chicken #### .... I'm paying for the Data, I'll tether all I want

I've seen all kinds of kludges, like USB GPS antennas you can tie to an Android tablet, or an app for the phone which BlueTooths your phone's GPS coordinates to any other device.

But they are just that....kludges. I'd rather get a totally turnkey standalone GPS display that works when I turn it on, no pre-reqs required. The one-time cost beats a recurring cell bill, and if I turn it off for 6 months I'm not paying for service I'm not using.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Both of my Garmins are too old to comment on other than to say they are reliable as a hammer.

willie

I bought a Garmin 2797 7" GPS. It is the worst Garmin I have ever owned. It replaced a 50LM only because I wanted a bigger screen. They use completely different programming. The 2797 makes no sense in routing and seldom chooses the quickest route. I gave up on it and got the 6" 67LM. It is marginally better than the 2797 but no where near as good as any of the older models. My nephew uses a download to his phone and it seems to work quite well.

I bought a Garmin 2797 7" GPS. It is the worst Garmin I have ever owned. It replaced a 50LM only because I wanted a bigger screen. They use completely different programming. The 2797 makes no sense in routing and seldom chooses the quickest route. I gave up on it and got the 6" 67LM. It is marginally better than the 2797 but no where near as good as any of the older models. My nephew uses a download to his phone and it seems to work quite well.

Thanx, that could be useful info. I have good apps on my phone, but the screen is too small and tough to work with gloves. I also need reading glasses to see the phone screen, but don't wear them when driving. A larger screen would be ok.

So, had a chance to go look at some in the stores. Or at least I tried to.... Seems every store that had a decent display set up had taken them all down. Best Buy, WallyMart...... nothing on display.

I did see something interesting by Rand McNally. It was a tablet kind of thing that blutoothed to your phone and provided a large screen remote display for maps, texts, etc.... Didn't say if it got the maps from your phone app or it's own GPS, but there didn't seem to be a GPS antenna. More research....

PeoplesElbow

Why do you need such a big screen?

About 7 years ago I bought the cheapest Garmin that New Egg had, paid $99 for it and it has lifetime map upgrades. Honestly, no cell phone beats this $99 GPS unit.

Why do you need such a big screen?

About 7 years ago I bought the cheapest Garmin that New Egg had, paid $99 for it and it has lifetime map upgrades. Honestly, no cell phone beats this $99 GPS unit.

Because I'll be using it in my Slingshot, mounted 2 feet away, while wearing a helmet, face shield and sunglasses.

And I'm getting old and can't see the small screen without reading glasses, which I do not wear when driving.