Instant Pot stuff

glhs837

Power with Control
Man, keep finding how awesome this thing is. Cheesecake like I would never imagine I could make, full blown NY style. Baby back Ribs that fall off the bone in less than 45 minutes including the dry rub and five minutes in the broiler after the IP. Last night we pressure steamed some lobster tails followed by shrimp for an early Valentines day treat. Set it up with steel cut oats and water the night before on delay start, wake up to an awesome breakfast.

glhs837

Power with Control
https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-new-york-cheesecake/

This was the recipe I followed. Including the Tips link. Pic is mine. Wife and daughter inhaled thiers the next day, I saved a second piece of mine for the day after and it tasted even better.

cheesecake.jpg

First time I ever made a cheesecake that wasnt Jello Instant :) The only things I might do different is to actually heat the graham cracker crust instead of refrigerate it, and place it on a convex surface when covered in the fridge so condensation from the lid rolls down and away. But even at that, it was some of the best cheesecake I've ever had.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Okay, I caved. I bought an Instant Pot. Between work and chores at home, and a not so healthy MIL just moving in, I need something that will get me back in the kitchen, and out of the freezer section of the grocery store. Somebody point me to the recipes!

glhs837

Power with Control
Okay, I caved. I bought an Instant Pot. Between work and chores at home, and a not so healthy MIL just moving in, I need something that will get me back in the kitchen, and out of the freezer section of the grocery store. Somebody point me to the recipes!

I joined a FB group "Instant Pot Recipes Only" and so recipies cross my feed on a regular basis. Ones that catch our eye, we'll pull up an either use them or go find versions we like better. The above is great cheesecake. When we find one we like, it gets printed and put into the binder my daughter made up mockingly titled "With the Instant Pot (TM) You do have TIME!!!!" :) One of the go tos is simple hard boiled eggs so we always have some on hand.

Here's the keeper baby back rib recipe.

https://iwashyoudry.com/instant-pot-baby-back-pork-ribs/

We did crank the pressure cook time up from 35 to 40 minutes, but otherwise didnt change a thing. Used the BOGO ribs from Haerris Teeter and man, what a deal :)

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I joined a FB group "Instant Pot Recipes Only" and so recipies cross my feed on a regular basis. Ones that catch our eye, we'll pull up an either use them or go find versions we like better. The above is great cheesecake. When we find one we like, it gets printed and put into the binder my daughter made up mockingly titled "With the Instant Pot (TM) You do have TIME!!!!" :) One of the go tos is simple hard boiled eggs so we always have some on hand.

Here's the keeper baby back rib recipe.

https://iwashyoudry.com/instant-pot-baby-back-pork-ribs/

We did crank the pressure cook time up from 35 to 40 minutes, but otherwise didnt change a thing. Used the BOGO ribs from Haerris Teeter and man, what a deal :)

Thanks!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-new-york-cheesecake/

This was the recipe I followed. Including the Tips link. Pic is mine. Wife and daughter inhaled thiers the next day, I saved a second piece of mine for the day after and it tasted even better.

First time I ever made a cheesecake that wasnt Jello Instant :) The only things I might do different is to actually heat the graham cracker crust instead of refrigerate it, and place it on a convex surface when covered in the fridge so condensation from the lid rolls down and away. But even at that, it was some of the best cheesecake I've ever had.

Thanks!

glhs837

Power with Control
If I may ...

I thought pressure cookers are used to make bombs?

Well, they can be. In the "normal" pressure cooker bomb usage the pressure cooker, having exceptionally thick walls and a robust sealing mechainsm, is used becuase those attibutes act as blast enhanchers, a magnified version of the effet you get by placing an M80 in a mailbox. With the added "benefit" that the walls of the pressure cooker shatter and make additional shrapnel.

But this product, while it is a pressure cooker and could be made into a bomb, has 10 distinct safety mechainsms baked right in to prevent it from becoming an accidental bomb.

http://instantpot.us/benefits/safety-features/

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
For how long? I've done that twice and not been super happy with the tnederness. Did a meatloaf a few days back, then mashed potatoes the next day :)

Low pressure for 10 minutes seems to be the way to go, then let it depressure itself.

How'd you make the meatloaf?

glhs837

Power with Control
Low pressure for 10 minutes seems to be the way to go, then let it depressure itself.

How'd you make the meatloaf?

Basic a standing cylinder with a loose foil wrap that leaves enough space on the sides for steam to get up around it with half the ketchup based red sauce on it. After coming out of the pot, I sliced it half onto a baking sheet making two haly cylinders, brushed it with the rest of the red sauce and broiled it a few minutes to crunch it up a bit. :) That doubled the amount of "burnt ends", which we all love.

https://www.thecountrycook.net/the-best-instant-pot-meatloaf-and-little-potatoes/

Clem72

Don't use mine as much as I would like. Lost the dang silicone ring and haven't got around to replacing it. My go to recipes were ribs, and stew. Stew is just too easy. I'm don't like 100 step recipes so I tend to stick to the easy stuff. I did however make a good lamb shank in red wine sauce with the Instant Pot.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, first time trying poached eggs, was super happy.

sprayed ramekins with non-stick spray, steam setting for three minutes, came out easy with a thin scraper.

Proto good eggs.jpg

Good eggs.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I poach eggs in the microwave because I'm lazy.

That's a good idea about the different rings :yay:

glhs837

Power with Control
I poach eggs in the microwave because I'm lazy.

That's a good idea about the different rings :yay:

Never could be bothered to find the right settings in the nuker. I hate "for about a minute", knowing that I'm gonna have to fiddle with that time. And fishing the egg out of the water? Not this guy :)