Way, WAY offshore..

nutz

all three projects power 4 million plus homes. That is frickin impressive. Except for wildlife issues, wind is so much better than solar.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
all three projects power 4 million plus homes. That is frickin impressive. Except for wildlife issues, wind is so much better than solar.

I agree. We jokingly refer to the turbines as "bird blenders". That said, recent studies conducted on the huge European offshore wind farms just reported that the bird mortality was an order of magnitude less than what was predicted. Most species of concern are apparently smart enough to stay well clear of the blade zones.

I don't know of any similar studies of US on-shore turbines...different birds and different environment. I'm of the the opinion that on-shore wind is a lousy technology.

I agree. We jokingly refer to the turbines as "bird blenders". That said, recent studies conducted on the huge European offshore wind farms just reported that the bird mortality was an order of magnitude less than what was predicted. Most species of concern are apparently smart enough to stay well clear of the blade zones.

I don't know of any similar studies of US on-shore turbines...different birds and different environment. I'm of the the opinion that on-shore wind is a lousy technology.

Just got back from MA. They have a lot of very tall windmills on-shore near Cape Cod. Some are older, most seem to be of newer tech.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Just got back from MA. They have a lot of very tall windmills on-shore near Cape Cod. Some are older, most seem to be of newer tech.

They are tiny things compared to the monsters they are building offshore now.