Protocol

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Long story short, I bought a new car in December. I still have my old car. I have decided to gift it to my niece (minor) who is going to need a car soon. Should I sign it over to sister? Do I need to turn in the tags, or can she just register and insure it in her name?

TIA!

glhs837

Power with Control
Long story short, I bought a new car in December. I still have my old car. I have decided to gift it to my niece (minor) who is going to need a car soon. Should I sign it over to sister? Do I need to turn in the tags, or can she just register and insure it in her name?

TIA!

I would gift it to your sister, not the niece. I personally do not agree with giving young people cars. Let them earn and buy thier own. I'm okay with the parents having a car for that child to use. This prevents the kid from doing something stupid and making the car unreliable. Like cutting the springs to lower it or buying a used turbo kit :)

wineo

loving life
Gift it to your sister, you will have to sign a paper that she is your sister. No inspection needed or tax. Turn in tags, and she gets her own tags, for a fee. You are still paying insurance??

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Thank you all.

I would gift it to your sister, not the niece. I personally do not agree with giving young people cars. Let them earn and buy thier own. I'm okay with the parents having a car for that child to use. This prevents the kid from doing something stupid and making the car unreliable. Like cutting the springs to lower it or buying a used turbo kit :)
Yes, of course. Niece is a minor. She is a responsible young lady and won't do stupid ####. :lol:
Gift it to your sister, you will have to sign a paper that she is your sister. No inspection needed or tax. Turn in tags, and she gets her own tags, for a fee. You are still paying insurance??
I still carry minimal insurance at the moment since it is pretty much parked.
I don't either, but in this case, an exception would be made.
You get me and my family situation. :huggy:

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't either, but in this case, an exception would be made.

I'm curious as to why. The reasons for doing it my way dont really change with the source of the vehicle. Of course, part of that also depends on the age and experience of the young person. If the person in question is say 20 and has been driving for a few years, that would be different.

Oh, and my other reason for supyling the first car out of my fleet was that this way, the first vehicle they drive regulalry is a stick. :) I refuse to turn a driver loose in the world that isnt proficient in driving a manual.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm curious as to why. The reasons for doing it my way dont really change with the source of the vehicle. Of course, part of that also depends on the age and experience of the young person. If the person in question is say 20 and has been driving for a few years, that would be different.

Oh, and my other reason for supyling the first car out of my fleet was that this way, the first vehicle they drive regulalry is a stick. :) I refuse to turn a driver loose in the world that isnt proficient in driving a manual.

I bought it new, right off the lot in 2004. She, as a child, has barfed in the back seat 2/3 times. It's appropriate that she have it! :lmao:

She is thrilled to have it. :)

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
You know I am not that aged! :lol:

You got papers to prove that? :biggrin:

To be clear you could gift it to anyone you want but unless they meet the requirements they will be liable for the excise tax, but I assume that is what is trying to be avoided. Oh Yeah, turn your tags in before you canx your insurance.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You got papers to prove that? :biggrin:

To be clear you could gift it to anyone you want but unless they meet the requirements they will be liable for the excise tax, but I assume that is what is trying to be avoided. Oh Yeah, turn your tags in before you canx your insurance.

My birth certificate is on paper. Unlike yours, chiseled in stone. :neener: :huggy:

Yes, that I know!

glhs837

Power with Control
I bought it new, right off the lot in 2004. She, as a child, has barfed in the back seat 2/3 times. It's appropriate that she have it! :lmao:

She is thrilled to have it. :)

Oh, I'm not saying she should not be given the exclusive use of the vehicle as if it's hers, just that I think that making her parents the legal owner is a better way to go. That's how both of my kids cars were done. We referred to the cars as theirs, they paid for gas and performed any maint with my help. But they knew from the start that if they wanted to keep that car, they would have to pay me for it (half of whatever I paid, of course :) ). Or give it back to me and buy something else. You could say that at age 18, it becomes hers.

I was going to mention the tax thing, Ken brought it up. Depending on the state, gifting can cost them more in taxes when registering. My dad and brother just went thru this in AR. If dad gifted the car, it cost my brother a bunch in taxes. Instead, dad sold it to my brother for $1 and paid far less.

Seems to me MD isn't as lenient as AR for $1 sales, but look into it before you sign it off.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I was going to mention the tax thing, Ken brought it up. Depending on the state, gifting can cost them more in taxes when registering. My dad and brother just went thru this in AR. If dad gifted the car, it cost my brother a bunch in taxes. Instead, dad sold it to my brother for $1 and paid far less.

Seems to me MD isn't as lenient as AR for $1 sales, but look into it before you sign it off.

I will, thx. You'll be able to visit it down the street. :lol: