Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pentagon to service members: Deploy or else!

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    This is good. If you were in any other professional environment and could not do your job, you'd be replaced.
    Je suis prest

Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    This is good. If you were in any other professional environment and could not do your job, you'd be replaced.
    That assumes there are zero stateside jobs for enlisted that could be filled by these people. I know a one-legged fireman that can't ride the truck (works dispatch).

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    That assumes there are zero stateside jobs for enlisted that could be filled by these people. I know a one-legged fireman that can't ride the truck (works dispatch).
    Your one-legged friend, I think, would be called a dispatcher, not a fireman.

My point being that a fireman's job is to go into a fire. Now, we don't send the whole crew into the fire at once, and leave them all there until the fire is out. We rotate who is inside, who is outside, who is back at the firehouse in case reinforcements are needed, and who has the day off.

The military's job is to "fight the fire", so to speak. We don't put them all on the front lines at once. But, if you have people who are supposed to go into the fire that can't due to some extraneous circumstance, then they are taking the roles of those folks outside the fire waiting to be rotated in, those back at the firehouse as a ready surplus, and those who are taking a needed break in a stateside shore billet. That's unfair to the folks who are going into and out of the fire, because it takes a seat from them outside the fire to cool off, train, and resupply.

There are a plethora of DoD jobs for those folks to fill outside of uniform, if they earn and deserve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    I'm sure Trump will be charged with more crimes before Hillary.

Please pin this for future reference

Pinned, as requested.....

Registered User acommondisaster's Avatar
    I was deemed "undeployable" due to a Navy "Exceptional Family Member" program. Because of my daughter's condition, there were only 6 locations I could be assigned to - all stateside. No remotes, unaccompanied, etc - the Navy's determination. Luckily, I was on a controlled tour and as long as my command was happy with me and I was happy with them, I was untouchable by the regular Navy detailer - so I spent my last 10 years there before retiring at the 20 year mark. What a shame it would have been to have been kicked out because of it - I was a productive smember and a lot of money had been spent training me. Funny thing is, I was actually TDY more than plenty of "regular" sailors - 212 days one year.
    Chaos breathes life into routine.

Quote Originally Posted by acommondisaster View Post
    I was deemed "undeployable" due to a Navy "Exceptional Family Member" program. Because of my daughter's condition, there were only 6 locations I could be assigned to - all stateside. No remotes, unaccompanied, etc - the Navy's determination. Luckily, I was on a controlled tour and as long as my command was happy with me and I was happy with them, I was untouchable by the regular Navy detailer - so I spent my last 10 years there before retiring at the 20 year mark. What a shame it would have been to have been kicked out because of it - I was a productive smember and a lot of money had been spent training me. Funny thing is, I was actually TDY more than plenty of "regular" sailors - 212 days one year.
    What was your dot’s condition, and why was that a factor? This is an example of what I don’t get about our stupid government.
    I am still here, y’all!

Registered User acommondisaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    What was your dot’s condition, and why was that a factor? This is an example of what I don’t get about our stupid government.
    She's special needs and whatever board looked at the doctor's evaluation made the decision that her needs required that I not go unaccompanied, and that she required a certain level of care/therapy not available at overseas locations. I had no play in the decision beyond handing the doctor the evaluation to fill out and answering some of the doctor's questions.
    To this day, I think that my being "the mom" in the equation had something to do with their decision that I couldnt go unaccompanied.
    Chaos breathes life into routine.

She's special needs and whatever board looked at the doctor's evaluation made the decision that her needs required that I not go unaccompanied, and that she required a certain level of care/therapy not available at overseas locations. I had no play in the decision beyond handing the doctor the evaluation to fill out and answering some of the doctor's questions.
    To this day, I think that my being "the mom" in the equation had something to do with their decision that I couldnt go unaccompanied.
    When you include the ‘mom’ thing into the equation, I guess it makes sense, because you were the primary care giver to your precious dot. It sounds like you are happy, overall, with the decision. I hope you, your dot, and fam are doing well.

Edit: And, thank you for your service. I don’t think I ever told you that.
    Last edited by littlelady; 03-09-2018 at 12:35 AM.
    I am still here, y’all!

Sorry I don't agree with that decision at all, so my single parent father has two children with no known disabilitys and he gets deployed multiple multiple times in my youth.
    But yet someone with a disabled child is worth more as a sailer than my father..
    Yea... I'm not good with that.... At all...
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    You have a psychiatric disorder. Get help.

9. 03-11-2018, 11:56 AM

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Sorry I don't agree with that decision at all, so my single parent father has two children with no known disabilitys and he gets deployed multiple multiple times in my youth.
    But yet someone with a disabled child is worth more as a sailer than my father..
    Yea... I'm not good with that.... At all...
    Those were different times, your dad was most likely a draftee and almost everyone was deployed almost continuously.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    Those were different times, your dad was most likely a draftee and almost everyone was deployed almost continuously.
    My dad enlisted in the 50's.. he did 20+ years...
    I don't care what time period it is or was.. That's bad policy, no if and or buts..
    Just because a service member has a handicapped child / children does not make his or her life more valuable then a service member with normal children..
    If you can't deploy, you need to be handed a 214.... God what a horrible policy...
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    You have a psychiatric disorder. Get help.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.