Torches and pitchforks

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Apparently Friday evening an accusation of molestation was made by a girl against one of the chaperones at the Ltown Middle School dance. She told friends, as I understand it, not anyone in charge. This rumor spread like wildfire, parents getting involved, and the police being called.

The chaperone was investigated, and surveillance cameras showed that the girl was lying - the incident never happened.

She, the girl, was detained by police in some form, but in the meantime the villagers whipped out their pitchforks and lit their torches, and took to social media to post this man's photo and personal information, accusing him of this terrible deed. Even AFTER the incident was cleared up and made public, they STILL went on their rampage.

So a couple of things:

Kids lie. This girl may be a malicious little bitch, but it's more likely that she just ran her mouth without thinking and it turned into a ####storm that got out of control.

How did it get out of control?

Because alleged adults don't know how to freaking act. In their zeal to get in on the act, they didn't stop to get any facts or find out what happened - they just mindlessly proceeded to destroy this man.

Apparently all that is needed to convict someone of a terrible crime is mere rumor. We see it every single day in the news: some dumbass makes an allegation and the mindless bots go wild promoting it, and won't back off even after it's proven untrue. They just go and jump on some other rumor.

THIS is an "if you see something, say something" situation. Shut them down. Chastise them strongly. Don't be polite to them. Don't enable them or humor them. Don't ignore them. This person is not your friend, and in fact they are your potential enemy and destroyer. If they'll do this to one person, they will do it to you. They will go on the attack against your kids, your parents, your spouse. They are a member in good standing of the dangerous mindless mob, and you are not safe from them.

As I said, I don't necessarily blame the girl for being stupid, but I absolutely blame the "adults" for jumping into the middle school fray without knowing the situation or waiting for any confirmation. The adults are supposed to be in charge, but that's a scary thought when they act like careless brutish mob. We real adults need to shut that down. It's not good enough to merely not participate in it; we must work to actively shut this crap down when it occurs.

We must be the change.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Body cameras for all. If only, and especially, if one is going to attend such a school function or an office adult function or party. This, most apropos PSA (Public Service Announcement) brought, to you by .... me.

In this case, the guy should sue for libel immediately against the girl, parents, and any other agitators. And make it as public as he can. It's the only way to stop this kind of behavior.

Grumpy

In this case, the guy should sue for libel immediately against the girl, parents, and any other agitators. And make it as public as he can. It's the only way to stop this kind of behavior.

If I may...

Dial up the WayBack machine and put the kid in stocks for a week in Leonardtown Square. Just halfway kidding but this whole thing is so repulsive

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I may ...

Body cameras for all. If only, and especially, if one is going to attend such a school function or an office adult function or party. This, most apropos PSA (Public Service Announcement) brought, to you by .... me.

See, and again I do not blame the girl. I don't know anything about her or even who she is, but I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and presume it was a mouth-running gone wrong. I'm going to also presume that she feels terrible for starting this. I could certainly be wrong, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt until I know differently.

*AHEM*

Erk

One of my friends posted the photo, accusation, etc., all on Facebook. My first thought was 'oh boy, you'd better be right'.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
This is part of a post from a dad that was there to pick his kid up early. He claims he got there at 8:20.

Here is my thing : It was bright as hell in there and LOTS of adults walking around. If this happened why didn’t any adults see ? Why didn’t anyone say anything Prior to me getting there at 8:20? Kid started crying not because she seen anything but because hearsay. Just a lot of it don’t make sense to me. Now if I hadn’t walked in and seen and heard what I did I might have a different outlook on it. I really hope I’m right about this and it didn’t happen BUT I’m just not buying it. I have seen people say this one seen it and that one seen it. Weill if so how come Nothing was said prior to me walking in? People saying “ My kid wouldn’t lie ! “ I’m not saying they are lying , Saying I feel like there was a LOT of them scared and panicked from what they heard. It also didn’t help that this school shooting just happened and everyone is already on edge. I’m just not buying it !

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One of my friends posted the photo, accusation, etc., all on Facebook. My first thought was 'oh boy, you'd better be right'.

You should dump that "friend" lest you become their next target.

An old friend of mine posted something along the lines of "kids don't lie about abuse" and basically defended this outing. Blocked. Bye. I can't have that be part of my life.

When we're in the campground we frequently come into contact with OPC. Apollo is a magnet for them, or they'll be in the pool playing. I go out of my way to avoid them and not have any interaction with them for just this very reason. Which is a shame because I like the little children and Apollo loves their attention, but I really don't want some psycho Mommy climbing out of her mental illness to make trouble for me.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
You should dump that "friend" lest you become their next target.

An old friend of mine posted something along the lines of "kids don't lie about abuse" and basically defended this outing. Blocked. Bye. I can't have that be part of my life.

When we're in the campground we frequently come into contact with OPC. Apollo is a magnet for them, or they'll be in the pool playing. I go out of my way to avoid them and not have any interaction with them for just this very reason. Which is a shame because I like the little children and Apollo loves their attention, but I really don't want some psycho Mommy climbing out of her mental illness to make trouble for me.

That’s why back in the day......I never took a babysitter home.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That’s why back in the day......I never took a babysitter home.

Especially in this day and age when nobody even bothers to find out what happened before they spread the rumor to millions of people on social media. Hard to put that back in the box when it's found to be a lie.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It's frightening, the people who *want* to believe. Now they're making it out like some conspiracy and coverup on the part of the police and the school.

Exactly. When I first read about it yesterday, my first thought was W.T.F!?! That MANY accusers? That can't be right.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Someone commented that the lady was charged with filing a false report.

I'm not sure what you charge someone with when they perpetuate a terrible rumor like this on social media. She should definitely get her ass sued off for libel. The news stories reported the incident, but not the guy's name. Of course, in a small community like this where everyone is connected by social media, it doesn't take long for word to spread.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Vrai, I take umbrage with your post.

Starting with the first word, "Apparently". No, it did happen, lots of online activity on social media and news, as well as the SMCPS releasing their statement.
I also don't know why you are surprised. We've seen it here. People who weren't there swear by the story because someone told them...
Factor in their children are perfect angels, they don't lie, cheat, steal, do drugs or misbehave in anyway. We've seen that in countless threads too.
When confronted with the facts, the truth, deny and claim cover up. This fits in with the above, "my kid don't lie".

What's apparent is that some parents don't remember what they did as kids and what their friends did.

I honestly feel sorry for this individual AND his family. His children have to go back to public school, at least one goes to LMS
He has to go to work and his wife has to face her friends and co-workers.

Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Oh, and while some of us wish for justice, there is no way those that scourged his good name will ever pay.