$2080 or $29,000,000,000?

transporter

Which of those two numbers seem larger to you?

How would you describe those two numbers in relation to one another? Might you consider $2080 to be insignificant in relation to $29 billion? Might you even call them crumbs?

GURPS is all excited because he is getting $80 more in his paycheck...paid biweekly that amounts to $2080.

Berkshire Hathaway will book $29,000,000,000 as a result of the recent tax changes. http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2017ltr.pdf

Still think the tax cuts primarily benefit workers???

PeoplesElbow

How would you describe those two numbers in relation to one another? Might you consider $2080 to be insignificant in relation to $29 billion? Might you even call them crumbs?

GURPS is all excited because he is getting $80 more in his paycheck...paid biweekly that amounts to $2080.

Berkshire Hathaway will book $29,000,000,000 as a result of the recent tax changes. http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2017ltr.pdf

It isn't like Berkshire Hathaway actually paid the taxes that it owed before, even though Warren Buffet kept saying his taxes were too low.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/29/warren-buffett-taxes-berkshire-hathaway_n_941099.html

Starman

I dunno ... The figure seems sort of suspicious to me. The tax cuts aren't retroactive; they are active for this tax year.

I guess BH are arriving at that figure by pricing the value of the tax cuts into the equity share price in anticipation of increased profits next year. Maybe.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

hey ya dumb #### I'm not the one that started that Thread ... that was b23hqb

Berkshire Hathaway will book $29,000,000,000 as a result of the recent tax changes.

Who Gives a ####, you miserable old Mewling Quim ... why are you so Jealous, don't you like Warren Buffet, he supports YOUR Side with $$$

Answer this Sugar Tits ... are workers taking MORE Money Home In Their Paychecks ?

SamSpade

I dunno ... The figure seems sort of suspicious to me.

Me too. There's quite a bit on the web showing a little bookkeeping legerdemain.
Because there's no way a company that previously paid taxes in the 4-5 billion range
suddenly gained a single year windfall of 29 billion, unless it is calculated against future
taxes, which is what this appears to be.

And again, rising tide lifts all boats. Corporate taxes are an indirect tax on all of us.
It doesn't always appear in the form of raised prices on products, but in stagnated
wages and shareholder profits (which is also borne by all of us).

Again - who cares that it gives more to someone else? Why does it matter that
someone else gets more?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

If you make $0.00 expect to get $0 dollars more
if you make $100K you get $n dollars more
if you make $1M you get $n x 10 dollars more

sre you seeing a trend here? The more you make, the more you get back. Berkshire Hathaway, being a corporate citizen, makes considerably more than the average worker. Why wouldn't they expect to get more?

Grumpy

If you make $0.00 expect to get $0 dollars more
if you make $100K you get $n dollars more
if you make $1M you get $n x 10 dollars more

sre you seeing a trend here? The more you make, the more you get back. Berkshire Hathaway, being a corporate citizen, makes considerably more than the average worker. Why wouldn't they expect to get more?

I guess we don't understand new math.:shrug:/sarc off

Chris0nllyn

What do you think about a flat tax?

PeoplesElbow

I dunno ... The figure seems sort of suspicious to me. The tax cuts aren't retroactive; they are active for this tax year.

I guess BH are arriving at that figure by pricing the value of the tax cuts into the equity share price in anticipation of increased profits next year. Maybe.

Maybe repatriating money that is overseas? Anyway you can't trust someone who claims he doesn't pay enough taxes out of one side of his mouth and out of the other do everything they can to avoid paying the taxes that they say aren't enough to begin with.

seven

hey ya dumb #### I'm not the one that started that Thread ... that was b23hqb

Who Gives a ####, you miserable old Mewling Quim ... why are you so Jealous, don't you like Warren Buffet, he supports YOUR Side with $$$

Answer this Sugar Tits ... are workers taking MORE Money Home In Their Paychecks ?

Drunk Posting?

:killingme

Starman

Maybe repatriating money that is overseas? Anyway you can't trust someone who claims he doesn't pay enough taxes out of one side of his mouth and out of the other do everything they can to avoid paying the taxes that they say aren't enough to begin with.

I don't think BH keeps money overseas in the way that companies like Apple, etc. do to repatriate it.

As to the 2nd point, there is a different between personal income and corporate income. When Buffet states he doesn't pay enough taxes, I assume he's talking about his personal income given that he often compares himself to his secretary and how much tax (s)he pays. This piece specifically is dealing with BH corporate income.

PeoplesElbow

I don't think BH keeps money overseas in the way that companies like Apple, etc. do to repatriate it.

As to the 2nd point, there is a different between personal income and corporate income. When Buffet states he doesn't pay enough taxes, I assume he's talking about his personal income given that he often compares himself to his secretary and how much tax (s)he pays. This piece specifically is dealing with BH corporate income.

I think as far as he is concerned the only difference is that shareholders would be very unhappy if he said BH doesn't pay enough taxes. Otherwise it all goes to the government to be redistributed. I would imagine if shareholders weren't part of the picture he would also claim BH doesn't pay enough.

This article here claims that BH does have overseas stashes btw.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/why...ing-on-mountains-of-cash-20170502-gvwvf5.html

Starman

I think as far as he is concerned the only difference is that shareholders would be very unhappy if he said BH doesn't pay enough taxes. Otherwise it all goes to the government to be redistributed. I would imagine if shareholders weren't part of the picture he would also claim BH doesn't pay enough.

This article here claims that BH does have overseas stashes btw.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/why...ing-on-mountains-of-cash-20170502-gvwvf5.html

Roger that. He used to be pretty outspoken about not keeping money overseas. Not because he had any moral issue with it, but more so because the vast majority of BH business is domestic. Times do change.

Nonetheless I’m sure if repatriation were a large part of this windfall, we’d have read it (or inferred it) from the release.