BREAKING: Supreme Court Refuses To Let Trump Kill DACA.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But the Supreme Court’s rejection is actually a win for the Trump administration politically, too. That’s because the Trump administration will not have to start deporting DREAMers — so no nasty headlines about Trump cruelty. And meanwhile, the Trump administration will be able to claim to its supporters that it did everything in its power to stop DACA, but was thwarted by leftist courts. In essence, Trump will be able to leave DACA in place while claiming he’s attempted everything to stop DACA. That, of course, isn’t true. The Trump administration didn’t bother asking the Supreme Court for a temporary stay of the lower court’s ruling — good evidence that the administration doesn’t actually want to start deportations.

So, what’s changed? Not much. The media will be able to claim that Trump lost in court; Trump will be able to avoid beginning deportations, and blame the courts for it. While the media champion this ruling as a loss for Trump, on a political level, Trump didn’t lose anything at all.

BREAKING: Supreme Court Refuses To Let Trump Kill DACA. That's Actually A Political Win For Trump. Here's Why.

officeguy

DACA was a discretionary action of the secretary of DHS. Like the attorney general before him, he can grant temporary status to an alien if it is 'in the interest of the US'. Ending DACA just means that the secretary of DHS will stop using his discretionary power to grant that status. It is logically and legally absurd for the courts to compel the government to do something that is not required under the applicable law.

Starman

SCOTUS didn’t refuse to let Trump kill DACA. They refused to intervene before the circuit court/state supreme court review is complete. It’s extremely rare for SCOTUS to intervene in this fashion.

Bushy23

Republicans can't use the threat of ending DACA anymore to get what they want. I think that is a win for the Dems. DACA will be in place until the midterms.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Republicans can't use the threat of ending DACA anymore to get what they want. I think that is a win for the Dems. DACA will be in place until the midterms.

I agree. There's no longer any pressure on either side of the aisle to do anything. One or both of the court cases will be heard and decided before Congress does anything.

Hijinx

I agree. There's no longer any pressure on either side of the aisle to do anything. One or both of the court cases will be heard and decided before Congress does anything.

The lower courts have been kicking Trumps ass for a while now. This is nothing new, except the SCOTUS refuses to step in at this moment.
So far this is a win for the Democrats and a loss for America.
Right in with their plans.