We need an elevator repairman right away

black dog

Free America

Yes ago, I worked many times in West Baltimore Projects, lexington terrace, Flaghouse,Murphy Homes. Many times other mechanics and my self have been peed on, had paint poured us while working on of the elevator cab.. I've seen fresh stealing piles in the middle of a elevator cab.. some elevators we're built leaning to the back a few degrees with holes drilled through the floor along the back wall so the pee can run out.. I could go on with the topic for quite awhile... Color / Race is irrelevant,some folks are just animals...

littlelady

God bless the USA
Yes ago, I worked many times in West Baltimore Projects, lexington terrace, Flaghouse,Murphy Homes. Many times other mechanics and my self have been peed on, had paint poured us while working on of the elevator cab.. I've seen fresh stealing piles in the middle of a elevator cab.. some elevators we're built leaning to the back a few degrees with holes drilled through the floor along the back wall so the pee can run out.. I could go on with the topic for quite awhile... Color / Race is irrelevant,some folks are just animals...

Welp, that cinches it. I will take the stairs from now on. I, usually, do when it is 2 or 3 stories. And, also, I get a little freaked out when in an elevator alone. I know that emergency phone is there, but I always wondered if it would reallly work.

Starman

Welp, that cinches it. I will take the stairs from now on. I, usually, do when it is 2 or 3 stories. And, also, I get a little freaked out when in an elevator alone. I know that emergency phone is there, but I always wondered if it would reallly work.

Elevators are extremely safe. In NYC alone, tens of millions of people safely ride elevators daily.

They are extremely failsafe from falling to the floor (both traction and hydro systems), which is people's first fear with elevators.

Most injuries are from people either working or fooling around on the car top, hoist way, motor room, or pit.

black dog

Free America
Not just extremely safe, but elevators are the safest mode of transportation known to man..
Now escalators.... The steps can drop down and it will grind you up like falling into the abyss of a blender....

Oh and elevators other than maybe twice in US history don't fall down between floors...

Just kidding about escalators..

Last edited:

Starman

Not just extremely safe, but elevators are the safest mode of transportation known to man..
Now escalators.... The steps can drop down and it will grind you up like falling into the abyss of a blender....

Oh and elevators other than maybe twice in US history don't fall down between floors...

Indeed - and all those safety enhancements are the result of American ingenuity. Our country's innovators have taken the elevator industry to where it is today.

Even if all the fail-safes fail, a falling elevator car is supposed to be buffered by those springs in the pit. You may get injured, but chances are you'll be OK. In fact, if an elevator is going to "fall" it's more likely to fall up, since the counter weight exceeds the weight of the car + occupants. Any sort of un-governored free-fall is extremely rare.

black dog

Free America
Indeed - and all those safety enhancements are the result of American ingenuity. Our country's innovators have taken the elevator industry to where it is today.

Even if all the fail-safes fail, a falling elevator car is supposed to be buffered by those springs in the pit. You may get injured, but chances are you'll be OK. In fact, if an elevator is going to "fall" it's more likely to fall up, since the counter weight exceeds the weight of the car + occupants. Any sort of un-governored free-fall is extremely rare.

A hydraulic elevator doesn't " fall " it will travel down only as fast as the oil leaves the hydro cylinder. Even with a catastrophic cylinder failure it will not " free fall " at terminal velocity.. the buffer springs in the pit of a hydro elevator is the save the equipment from damage.
Traction elevators ( gearless and geared ) elevators will only fall in the up direction.
Generally it takes a elevator man in the machineroom jumping out curcuits to make that happen. There are no mechanicial safetys other than electrial over travel limits in the top of the elevator shaft to stop the elevator from falling up.
The only mechanicial safetys in a traction elevator are under the elevator and apply themselfs instantly when the elevator over speeds in the down direction. In order for a traction elevator to fall all traction and the safety cable must be instantly cut in order for the elevator to " fall " in the down direction. It's happened maybe twice in the last hundred years here in the USA. The one most well known is when the AF plane hit the empire State building and one engine blew through the building cutting all the cables including the safety cables and the elevator traveled down and when it hits the massive hydro buffer in the pit the sole occupant I believe had a broken leg as a result..
Elevators are the safest mode of transportation....
Folks tend to believe what happens in the movies to real life..

PeoplesElbow

The dorms in college constantly had broken elevators and they divided the bill among the residents even though it was only a couple that vandalized the elevators. They always claimed they quit working due to vandalism, I had my doubts about every incident. Those elevators always smelled like piss and weed.

I remember when this happened https://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/elevator.asp a few years back.

SamSpade

You know what's weird? Ever pee in the shower? Sure you have. You did it at least ONCE.

And then you learned - dammit, pee REALLY STINKS, especially when it's not diluted in a toilet bowl or
"freshened" by a urinal cake. It smells bad.

This poor schmuck had a little instant karma when he had to endure that smell until he got out.

PeoplesElbow

You know what's weird? Ever pee in the shower? Sure you have. You did it at least ONCE.

And then you learned - dammit, pee REALLY STINKS, especially when it's not diluted in a toilet bowl or
"freshened" by a urinal cake. It smells bad.

This poor schmuck had a little instant karma when he had to endure that smell until he got out.

If your pee really stinks its because you don't drink enough water.