Jazz, in particular

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I just finished Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, and really enjoyed it. It's popular science written in conversational language, so you learn something while being entertained. While I was reading it I thought of Jazz because I knew she'd love it. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I will have to check it out. Sounds like Mary Roach's books on science, which I love!

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Everybody in our house has read it, and it keeps a place on the book shelf. Been a long time...I think I might dust it off and read it again.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I will have to check it out. Sounds like Mary Roach's books on science, which I love!

maryroach.jpg

She wrote a book? :twitch:

:lmao:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I just finished Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, and really enjoyed it. It's popular science written in conversational language, so you learn something while being entertained. While I was reading it I thought of Jazz because I knew she'd love it. :yay:

Just got it in yesterday from Amazon. Only had time to read a couple of pages before bed, but I can see I am going to LOVE this. Thanks and will update as I get more into it. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Just got it in yesterday from Amazon. Only had time to read a couple of pages before bed, but I can see I am going to LOVE this. Thanks and will update as I get more into it. :yay:

Finished it a few days ago and did indeed love it. Thanks for the recommendation. :yay:

What I'm currently reading is a book called "Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)" by Eliot Peper. It was one of the choices for my free book for the month via Amazon Prime. Here is the blurb:

A rising star at a preeminent political lobbying firm, Dag Calhoun represents the world’s most powerful technology and energy executives. But when a close brush with death reveals that the influence he wields makes him a target, impossible cracks appear in his perfect, richly appointed life.

Like everyone else, Dag relies on his digital feed for everything—a feed that is as personal as it is pervasive, and may not be as private as it seems. As he struggles to make sense of the dark forces closing in on him, he discovers that activists are hijacking the feed to manipulate markets and governments. Going public would destroy everything he’s worked so hard to build, but it’s not just Dag’s life on the line—a shadow war is coming, one that will secure humanity’s future or doom the planet to climate catastrophe. Ultimately, Dag must decide the price he’s willing to pay to change the world.

It is what they call near-future science fiction - that it is something that could very easily com true in the future-that-might-be and that in itself makes it rather chilling. It hits on all the major topics of today: politics, climate change, and our reliance on cloud-based tech. From the editor:

The people in this future-that-might-be rely on “the feed,” a technology that permeates every part of their lives, from social media and commerce to the global information network. The feed is the internet on steroids, and it is accessible to everyone like a sixth sense. Dag soon finds out firsthand what happens when that type of control is given to the wrong people.

https://www.amazon.com/Bandwidth-Analog-Novel-Book-1-ebook/dp/B075CLV95J

Excellent read so far and a lot of food for thought.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What I'm currently reading is a book called "Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)" by Eliot Peper.

I downloaded the sample but haven't gotten to it yet. Will put it at the top of the pile.

I'm currently re-reading "Freakonomics", which I like to do periodically. One of my favorites. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I'm currently re-reading "Freakonomics", which I like to do periodically. One of my favorites. :yay:

That and its successor "SuperFreakonomics." I don't remember finishing reading the latter and should probably get both to read again as they are at turns entertaining and thought provoking.