Get ready!

DeeJay

Administrator
Staff member
Per St. Mary's County Government:

A High Wind Watch is in effect from late Thursday night through late Friday night. Winds of 25 to 40 MPH with potential gusts of around 60 MPH are anticipated. Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines and power outages are possible.

luvmygdaughters

Per St. Mary's County Government:

A High Wind Watch is in effect from late Thursday night through late Friday night. Winds of 25 to 40 MPH with potential gusts of around 60 MPH are anticipated. Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines and power outages are possible.

Glad I just got my broom a tune up service...should be flying high tomorrow!!:elaine: Seriously, thanks for the warning!!

Been watching the weather reports. It has the makings of a big mess. Flooding is going to be another concern.

I was just about to head to the garage and test run the generators.

terbear1225

all I need is one line down, just the one to my building please. last night was bad, I could really use the chance to sleep in tomorrow :lol:

OldHillcrestGuy

Been watching the weather reports. It has the makings of a big mess. Flooding is going to be another concern.

I was just about to head to the garage and test run the generators.

Don't see where flooding is going to be a problem, we aren't suppose to get that much rain now. The winds look like they will be coming from the north and not from the east to west direction. I know east winds and high tides do bring a lot of problems on western shores of the bay and the Paxtuent and Potomac rivers. Some of the weather guys are saying we will be seeing winds that we haven't seen in years. With 50 and 60+ wind gusts and as soft as the ground is from all the rain in the past weeks I suspect a lot of trees will be coming down. Probably the ones with large root system's the oaks and pine trees. Hopefully since there are no leaves on them yet, but they are budding that my 2 bradford pears will survive. I'm sure my 3 large maples will drop plenty of dead and small branches all over the yard as they always do on very windy days. Took Old Glory down from the flagpole this morning, just put new flag up last month. My flag pole has been up many years and if I kept the flag up, besides concern about the flag I'm concerned about maybe the pole giving way where the 2 sections meet.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Don't see where flooding is going to be a problem, we aren't suppose to get that much rain now. The winds look like they will be coming from the north and not from the east to west direction. I know east winds and high tides do bring a lot of problems on western shores of the bay and the Paxtuent and Potomac rivers. Some of the weather guys are saying we will be seeing winds that we haven't seen in years. With 50 and 60+ wind gusts and as soft as the ground is from all the rain in the past weeks I suspect a lot of trees will be coming down. Probably the ones with large root system's the oaks and pine trees. Hopefully since there are no leaves on them yet, but they are budding that my 2 bradford pears will survive. I'm sure my 3 large maples will drop plenty of dead and small branches all over the yard as they always do on very windy days. Took Old Glory down from the flagpole this morning, just put new flag up last month. My flag pole has been up many years and if I kept the flag up, besides concern about the flag I'm concerned about maybe the pole giving way where the 2 sections meet.

Do they have a time frame for these winds? Son works late tonight and I am on the roads at 4am for work so need to plan accordingly.

awpitt

Main Streeter
For Lexington Park...

Today
Rain likely, mainly after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 52. Calm wind becoming southeast around 6 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Tonight
Rain likely before 10pm, then a chance of showers between 10pm and midnight. Cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 41. Breezy, with a southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west 15 to 20 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Friday
A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 49. Windy, with a northwest wind 21 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 37. Windy, with a northwest wind 24 to 29 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph.

Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 50. Breezy, with a northwest wind 18 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.26285950000005&lon=-76.46718499999997#.WpgwlGffOUk

DeeJay

Administrator
Staff member
The high warning timeframe has been amended. The warning period is now midnight through 6 a.m. Saturday.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
We have a few scary trees by the house that I've been asking my husband to get chopped down. I guess I'll be sleeping in the basement for the next few days. :jameo:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
We have a few scary trees by the house that I've been asking my husband to get chopped down. I guess I'll be sleeping in the basement for the next few days. :jameo:

We have at least one that is already leaning that is on our neighbor's property that my husband has been asking them to cut down. Last time my husband asked a neighbor to take care of a tree and they didn't, it fell on two of our vehicles during Hurricane Irene and smashed them.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
We have at least one that is already leaning that is on our neighbor's property that my husband has been asking them to cut down. Last time my husband asked a neighbor to take care of a tree and they didn't, it fell on two of our vehicles during Hurricane Irene and smashed them.

Oh that's terrible! If ours fall they would only impact us. The local news facebook pages all seem to be saying that we are going to get blown off the planet. :lol: They love to stir everyone up.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

It might just be a great day to fly a kite. And at these wind speeds, maybe even a small hang glider.

Latest Warnings:

...HIGH WIND WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 AM
EST SATURDAY...

* TIMING...Midnight tonight through Friday night.

* WINDS...Northwest 25 to 40 mph with gusts around 60 to 70 mph.
The strongest winds will be Friday morning through Friday
evening.

* IMPACTS...Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines.
Widespread power outages are expected. Travel will be
difficult, especially for high profile vehicles.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A High Wind Warning means a hazardous high wind event is expected
or occurring. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or gusts
of 58 mph or more can lead to property damage.